Reapply clear coat?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Dogran
Bongonaut

Reapply clear coat?

Post by Dogran » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Some scrote kindly spray painted a graffiti tag on the side of my Bongo at the weekend. Fortunately I managed to get it off with soapy water and elbow grease, but in doing so some of the clear coat came off with it. It is only noticeable on close inspection, but you can see the area where the clear coat has been removed (its is whiter than the rest of the paint presumably because the clear cut has faded a little over time) and you can see the edge where the clear cut begins and ends.

Should I attempt a repair by sanding the edges with fine wet and dry and then spray on clear coat, or am I only going to make it worse? Any other suggestions?
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: Reapply clear coat?

Post by stuc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:20 pm

You will probably make it worse, It is very rare you can just re apply clear coat without painting basecoat on first. If you are going to try, use P1500 wet or dry to gently feather away the edges of the clearcoat and grey scotchbrite to key the surrounding area. You could then, after cleaning try to apply a couple of coats of clear coat and use a fade out thinner on the edges of the clear coat to blend it in to the old paintwork. Wait to fully cure before polishing.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Dogran
Bongonaut

Re: Reapply clear coat?

Post by Dogran » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably leave it then as it sounds like it would be difficult to make good job of it, and I'm very much an amateur when it comes to spray painting.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”