LED Headlights.

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Paul*
Junior Bongonaut

LED Headlights.

Post by Paul* » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 am

Morning all,
I have just returned to the fold after a 2 year absence with a white diesel AFT, forgot how much I missed driving them. Anyway, the fog light has been incorporated into one of the rear reversing lights so I was looking to upgrade the remaining bulb for an LED bulb to give me more light and it got me thinking, has anyone switched from normal headlight bulbs to LED ones? I am a fan of nightbreakers and have them on my other vehicles but never considered LED's.

Regards

Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: LED Headlights.

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:32 pm

You can get H4 Headlamp LED's but be aware the quality/lifetime varies, also note the size of the additional fan required to keep them cool hanging off the back. Also some reports about the positioning of the LED with respect to the reflector required to keep the correct beam focus and position for both main and dipped positions ....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:39 pm

I'd avoid LED headlamp bulbs. The reflector isn't designed for the light dispersal LEDS give.
We have LED 'headlamp' bulbs as reversing lamps which work great but took a bit of fitting and needed a dip switch as they are so bright. However similar bulbs were tested in the actual headlights of some car or other and came out poor compared to halogen. However they aren't the fan cooled ones - these did ok in the same test.
Paul*
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Paul* » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks for the wisdom! :D

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”