Flip Down DVD for Newbies European Adventure Planning

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Jacait0204
Apprentice Bongonaut

Flip Down DVD for Newbies European Adventure Planning

Post by Jacait0204 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:38 am

Hi all,

As -newcomers to campervanning, the family and I have had some local overnight Bongo trips, however we have just planned and booked a two week trip to France and Spain this summer. Touch wood, our 1997 Bongo is technically sound and we will get a full service and belt change (55,000 mile on clock) prior to our departure, so my queries are more of the "pimping up" type.

We are considering a flip down DVD player for the kids whilst travelling and everyone in the evening (if needed). Some of the research I've done suggests that Flip Down DVDs can't be used whilst the vehicle is in motion to avoid distracting the driver. Whilst this makes sense,is this the case? Secondly, Can they be fitted to AFTs? If so,where would they best be located so that the kids could watch it in the back (ideally whilst driving)? Forgive my technical ignorance, but how would it be wired up/connected, as I don't really want a network of wires dangling down everywhere?

Finally, I've looked on eBay and Xtrons seem to be the most reasonably priced and scouring these pages, many members have Xtrons devices, could anybody offer any recommendations.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to sharing my Bongo adventures.

Jacait
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Flip Down DVD for Newbies European Adventure Planning

Post by sotal » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:06 pm

The motion thing is normally just for head units as they are in the drivers view. However they are easily bypassed as they just ground through the handbrake so normally just need the wire connecting to a bolt on the cars metal work and then it will work all the time.

As for the flip down aspect - I looked into these and decided that it wasn't really feasible due to positioning - we want it in a different place when camping to when we are travelling. This will depend on your layout though. We ended up using a goose neck mount which is acceptable for a small device (they watch TV programmes on a tablet).

I need to plan a trip to France/Spain for a few weeks in the summer - did you find some nice sites to stay at?
Jacait0204
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jacait0204 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think we will probably end up going for portable dvd player.

Reference campsites, my missus bought me Cool camping book for Christmas, loads of lovely sites in there that are also reasonably priced. I just hope they live up to the pictures.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I've got 2 boys 7 and 10 and we have a 15" roof mounted drop down dvd player. We would be lost without it. The screen drops so the driver and passenger can't see it, easy to fit, sound can be via wireless headphones or through stereo on an FM station. I just set sound to rear speakers.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Jacait0204
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jacait0204 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Stuc

Where do you have it attached in your bongo?
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 am

Cab roof, but I removed the stop so I can rotate it 180' so the screen is further back. i'll try and find pics later.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 am

Where to mount it really depends on a few things, the layout of your van, if you want to watch it when traveling, parked up or both & how big it is.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi, pictures as promised, when I got the van the unit was mounted the other way around but this meant the screen dropped near the rear view mirror so kids not able to watch when driving as it was in my way.
I turned the unit around and took the covers off the hinge unit and un done the nut holding the screen to the unit. In there was a washer which had a stop on to stop it rotating 180 degrees, so I removed it.
I now flip the screen down and rotate it to the rear of the car for the kids when driving.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”