Heated Seats

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

amauvis
Bongonaut

Heated Seats

Post by amauvis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Hello all,

There was a thread in 2009 where someone asked about retrofitting seat heating. There was no answer on that one, but has anyone done it? There is a £90 kit on fleabay which has pads, loom and switches which I'm thinking might be a relatively easy upgrade.

I'm hoping the seat covers will unhook/peel off relatively easily, size/place the pad, refit the seat covers, run cabling and switches and hook into the fusebox. Presumably that's all there would be to do? Obviously my ten thumbs wouldn't find it as easy as that, and there's bound to be a lot swearing and blood spilled, but it seems a worthwhile winter mod. Thoughts?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Heated Seats

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

amauvis wrote:Hello all,

There was a thread in 2009 where someone asked about retrofitting seat heating. There was no answer on that one, but has anyone done it? There is a £90 kit on fleabay which has pads, loom and switches which I'm thinking might be a relatively easy upgrade.

I'm hoping the seat covers will unhook/peel off relatively easily, size/place the pad, refit the seat covers, run cabling and switches and hook into the fusebox. Presumably that's all there would be to do? Obviously my ten thumbs wouldn't find it as easy as that, and there's bound to be a lot swearing and blood spilled, but it seems a worthwhile winter mod. Thoughts?
I saved myself a lot of hassle by buying heated+massaging seat covers. They look smart on the seat and (for me)have the benefit of relieving pressure on the base of my spine from the seat squab (I find the Bongo seats very comfortable apart from this problem). I've put a 3 x ciggie socket holder on the back of the centre console and both driver and passenger seat covers plug into that and run off the leisure battery so can be used with or without ignition on. I got a pair of unused but matching Woolworth ones (from separate ebay vendors, bought when Woolworth still existed!) that look and work great. My back feels so much better after a long trip for having this gentle heat on it. Cost for both was around £35 so I was happy with that :-)
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks, thought about that but would rather have a stealth installation - looks best when you don't know it's there, apart from a couple of buttons on the dash somewhere.

Might do that in the meantime though :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:44 pm

amauvis wrote:Thanks, thought about that but would rather have a stealth installation - looks best when you don't know it's there, apart from a couple of buttons on the dash somewhere.

Might do that in the meantime though :)
..and then you might never get around to doing the full stealth job :wink: :lol:

Good luck whatever you decide, and keep us post if you do do it - would be interesting to read how its done.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi
I just can't see me using heated seats much???...I've only rarely used the heated seats on t'other car.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:30 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
I just can't see me using heated seats much???...I've only rarely used the heated seats on t'other car.
Cheers
Helen
I'm surprised you've not found them useful on long trips - they make a huge difference to my back :-)
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:58 pm

My better half and my daughter like them. We have them in one of our other cars, and on a long wintry trip, they are lovely, and nice on an ageing, sore back.

The Bongo is an everyday driver but also a tourer, and so would make a longer trip nicer. And if it could all be done relatively easily for <100 squid, then it would be a nice thing to do.

Although the Bongo wants a new alternator now (charge light and sediment light) so it's getting that first.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I've just fitted some 'add-on' heated/massaging seat covers. They actually look perfectly fine, and the wires tuck away very discreetly under the center console. These ones massage everywhere (interesting), under thighs, high/low back etc, and are fab if you have an iffy lower back. Love 'em.

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:I've just fitted some 'add-on' heated/massaging seat covers. They actually look perfectly fine, and the wires tuck away very discreetly under the center console. These ones massage everywhere (interesting), under thighs, high/low back etc, and are fab if you have an iffy lower back. Love 'em.

Derek
Yes, the massagers are crude, but they do help if you can put up with them. I keep heat on always, and Go To Massage where numbness is setting in. Before my current pair, I had a drivers seat only cover for 6 years until it wore out (wiring fatigue mainly) and that had programmes for the massagers that varied the pattern and intensity of them. That was better than my current fixed setting only ones, but then again it cut off after a time and needed resetting, which was mildly tedious.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi Mike...
My spine is damaged in a number of places, and whilst warmth is nice, I find those heated seats annoying after a while...but they may be nice for some people.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”