Double Din Radio with satnav

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Double Din Radio with satnav

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:09 pm

billymansell wrote:Hi Mike.

On my trip to Belgium last November I found on the continent OSM+ continued to think I was driving on the left which was problematic at roundabouts, on motorways and when turning but it kept me on my toes. I had a license for Copilot but I'd had it installed on my phone so I transferred it between devices when I got home. I did keep a copy of OSM+ on the tablet as backup should the Copilot fail but it didn't on any of my trips this year.

You don't need to use any SIM device for the GPS and it had no problems locating satellites. The Ulysses Speedometer would be up and running within 10-15 seconds of starting up, the sat nav a little bit longer.

Also, Tesco have kept the OS up to date as they updated to Lollipop a month or so ago (although I'd previously had mine rooted). I don't know if it'll ever get Marshmallow though.
I can't seem to see the Hudl2 available to buy from Tesco any longer. They're on ebay but is that a sign they're now no longer up-to-date machines? :roll:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Out today http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/22/tesco-no-more-hudl/
"No matter how you spin it, Tesco's statement can only be the final nail in the coffin for the Hudl brand"
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 pm

g8dhe wrote:Out today http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/22/tesco-no-more-hudl/
"No matter how you spin it, Tesco's statement can only be the final nail in the coffin for the Hudl brand"
Oh dear. :-(
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah, Engadget had published first rumours of this last week and it was doing the rounds on developer forums.

Not to worry, time to get out the tape measure and see what other tablets might fit over the cubby hole.

Mike, I only ever used the free version of OSM+ which has improved since I last used it but the downloading of maps could be a pain and you can't install freely available POI files for campsites, wild camping, free wifi, etc.. Copilot full Europe was around £30 and downloads all countries in one file and accepts POI files downloaded of the web, plus once you have POI files you can convert them to kml files and add them to MapswithMe as well.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:10 am

Hi
Mmmmm...interesting...Unfortunately, I can't mount the tablet anywhere except on top of the dash, so that's too big, and a 'phone is too small and fiddly whilst driving if not well secured. I have 5 readouts for engine function and several indicators and switches in the cubbyhole, plus a 7" screen and a couple of gauges mounted in a roof console....now, the screen would be handy if connected to a 'phone, but a touchscreen would be better, so the double-din unit looked good.
Taking on board the thought that EONON, the Chinese maker may not update the inbuilt software, and that the system is already out-dated, I wonder if Sony has a useful unit....although I don't necessarily rate Sony / Pioneer etc. but at least they stand a chance of supplying updates?
The search continues
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:53 am

Hi
Ah....a quick poke round on e-Bay, and 'yer 'tiz ...a Sony type version with TomTom navi on it :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-XAV-602B ... Sw7NNT7KaQ
Looking at other Sony units, it seems that the TomTom unit is actually a separate add-on but complete in this package...so, I guess it may be update-able and won't go out of fashion in five minutes?...but how good is Tom Tom?...Garmin obviously comes with built-in obsolescence in easy installments at $60 a chunk the next time you pick it up.
I might consider this Sony unit if it fits????...I currently have a Sony CD player, so it might be worth taking a peek?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Hello,
I fitted one of these
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CED1800 ... 5510762005
With one of these
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK4-BOR ... 1534574015

Dvd, Radio, sat nav and rear view camera. Nice piece of kit which is relatively easy to fit with remote control to change things from the back.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:23 am

Hi
Thanks....Am I to presume that the unit needs a trim piece to fit, as I have a "wood" dashboard that I don't want to butcher?
I still wonder about what Geoff said about updates to the GPS being forthcoming?
Lots of things to consider
Cheers
Helen
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:44 am

I went with the plastic trim rarther than the metal cage , looks like part of the dash. I'll take some photos.. The nav softwhere is updatable but not cheap, haven't took the plung yet. [-(
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:53 am

Hi
Oh...Ta, some pictures would be good....This is my dash, and I don't want to cut it...it was hard enough to get a new one! :

Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:03 am

I'm thinking an inexpensive bluetooth single DIN radio/cd to go with an inexpensive SIM only smart phone like the Ulefone BeTouch might be the best budget option all round. Although my current phone can be a bit lag-prone as a satnav, overall being able to put addresses in my calendar, contacts plus google searching for nearby places, all make that aspect of connectivity a big plus. I know the double DIN all-in-one units look fab but its a lot locked up in one place (in the car) if you're watching the pennies, and they still don't easily offer the Android / google connectivity it seems to me?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi
Mike...That Sony unit I linked to seems to have it all, but then again, I think it's down to choice...it is very handy to have an easily reached screen and solidly mounted, PLUS if you consider that you can get a car confiscated if you have a 'phone or free-standing satnav with radar-spotting capability on it and the police spot you, and the way I see it, those double din units can just be playing a CD if the police check on you on your continental travels :wink:
The whole issue for me is that I can have something that's always handy and ready, because I just don't like fiddling with loose gadgets, and "Him Indoors" just sits with the 'phone or tablet handy for his eyes, and that's not really driver friendly
Anyway...more research, I think!
Cheers
Helen
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:54 pm

The plastic surround is the bit with raised bead central to the 10mm frame, the gouge on the left was on the dash when we got it

Corvert camers in spoiler

Philips ced1800bt dvd, radio, sat nav, usb, mp3, reversing camera and sd card with maps.
bluetooth phone and streaming.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Hi
Thanks for that...It looks like a good fit, and gives me some ideas...I have forward and rear cameras already, so I could possibly rig up a second rear-view camera for the rear mirror as a permanent cam with foot control (already wired in), so that I can use one as reverse on the radio-CD, and a wide-angle cam view as well as the mirror (which actually is a switchable mirror -cum-TV screen) on command for a better view behind...
MMmmm....more fun wiring....oh, and I have yet another camera upstairs to fit somewhere....possibly in one of the door mirrors????
Thanks again
Cheers
Helen
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:16 am

I'm currently looking at a double din Android unit.

Just to clarify some points.

The OS on the radios is unlikely to get updated unless a custom rom is made for it and you apply it yourself. However your chosen navigation app will update as often as you like, so the maps etc will be up to date.

Most smartphones can give a wireless access point, so should you need mobile data on the move you can just wireless connect it to your phone and use the data plan from your phone - no need to buy dongles and extra sim cards etc.

Most of the GPS software is offline, you don't need to use any data - the maps are stored on the memory card in the head unit.

You can use navigation software such as Google Maps which does use data - it downloads the maps as it needs them and also downloads live traffic data to avoid traffic jams and crashes etc. This can be useful but can also eat through your data allowance.

Although the OS will be slightly out of date now and will most likely fall further and further behind it isn't that much of an issue. Many phones/tablets no longer have updates and people still use them without any issues. There are certain security vulnerabilities but these are less of a concern given the fact that the stereo isn't often connected to the internet (dependent on use). You can also add security software to help prevent any attacks. There is also the fact that there probably won't be much sensitive data on your car radio. The most sensitive things will be - email (if you choose to set it up - I won't) and your home address if you choose to put it in to the GPS software (never a good idea with any GPS system, if someone steals your keys and gets in your car and asks the sat nav to take them home it lets them go and break into your house to!)

Someone mentioned a market for a stereo with removable tablet - Xtrons already do one of these, it uses its own tablet rather than one you have purchased before, but it holds it securely in place - it can be removed and there is a basic stereo screen behind which continues to function.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-DOUBLE ... Swk5FUuGjT

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”