JBL GX502 5.25" upgrade

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

tanglefoot
Bongolier

JBL GX502 5.25" upgrade

Post by tanglefoot » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Inspired by the forum topics I went out to explore the world of car speakers, and, ended up in the pub. After a pint (or two) of wonderful Wye Valley Butty bach I fell in with two unscrupulous characters who convinced me that JBL GX502's were the dogs ****.

I had another beer and thought about it, then had one last beer and went out to purchase the afor mentioned speakers. I have just spent five hours fitting the offside one, and the door card will never be the same again. Tested it (singular) on The Planets Suite, The Junkyard Cowboys 'Blue Moon', and the Peatbog Faeries 'Naughty Step' and the sound is fantastic compared to factory fitted.
Ah well, I can always buy a new door card if needed.
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Re: JBL GX502 5.25" upgrade

Post by Kern0wsan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 am

Always satisfying getting a job done on the bongo! Did the JBL's have the an o.k mounting depth? I have upgraded the stereo and put an active sub in but I haven't got round to replacing the front speakers yet, took off the door cards to have a look and that bleeding glue holding the speakers to the metal plates is stronger than dried Weetabix! :?
andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:54 am

if you want depth - a sub is the only way to go

I think 5 '' is the largest speaker that will go in the doors - maybe 6'' but I think its the magnet depth youll struggle with

to be fair - original bongo speakers weren't that bad - yes naff - but not that bad

don't expect all sorts from a average pair of jbl - pioneers 5 '' normal

to be honest - I hear most of my sound from the passenger front and the rears ( mazda originals )

because they sit so low from your ears - youll loose most of it anyway

I put some 5 '' fli speakers in and they are so so

but I do have a fli twin 12'' active subs in a pretty big enclosure in the rear -

gives a pretty much nice sounds and depth - turned up - its more a huge vibration lol :lol: 8)

not every ones cup of tea - but you don't have to go so large

a single 10'' active sub will give a nice sounding bass depth

but remember the bongo is a big beast if you wish to fill

I always state - go big and turn it down - and don't buy cheap for bass - they just pop and give a lumpy bump lol

hope that was helpful

probably not lol

:shock: 8)
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi Kern0wsan. Way to much magnet depth I'm afraid, but I bought 'em so I was going to use 'em. Had a couple of the Mazda replacement pods which fitted onto the old Bongo one and brought the magnet away from the door housing but pushed the speaker to far forward. The grill had to come off and some of the plastic surround as well. I bought some 3mm board to fit around the hole and will cover with a suitable thin foam and cloth.

With care the old speaker can be levered out of the old pod with a thin blade, they are glued in but mine easily came out. Then it was a case of cutting off the old connector and joining the new wiring to the old loom via the crimping tools, sealing with electricians tape, then wrapped with self-amalgamating tape.

The door card was easily taken off and refitted. Hardest part was fiddling the window switch connector and door catch rod back in whilst balanced on one leg. The other leg/knee was supporting the door card. So now I know what I am doing the other speaker should go in a lot quicker [-o<
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kern0wsan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:55 am

Hi andyb36 - Sounds like you have a Lot of bass going on in the back, very good! all valid points - I have a side conversion so space is a bit of a premium so opted for a active sub ( Kenwood ksc-sw11) mounted just behind the drivers seat, really impressed with it for a little fella! :)

Hi tanglefoot - haha glad you got it in there, I would have done the same after spending the money, waste not and all! I will try the blade trick on the pod thanks failing that I have read a hairdryer will do the trick too. All the best
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Awwww noooo..I wish you hadn't mentioned a Kenwood ksc-sw11. Are they easy to fit in???
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am

I built my own little secret sub. Still going strong a year later:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 44&t=67608
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kern0wsan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Funnily enough I was actually inspired by bongojoe's post about where he mounted his home made sub! So thank you Bongojoe for the idea! :)

That's exactly where the Ksc-sw11 went, Fits in perfectly on the side conversion- will try and take a photo - Mine is mounted a little higher than Bongojoes - only awkward part is getting cable run tidy, I opted to go along the bottom under the trim. Very happy with its performance - adds enough thump for me! :)
Kern0wsan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kern0wsan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 pm

I best add that how easy it is to fit the ksc-sw11 will depend on what outputs you have from the head unit - mine has a sub out connection and a remote on lead, if the head unit doesn't have those it will require a bit more work.
andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:56 am

lol - I hid mine too

but doesn't take long to find it lol

:lol: :shock:
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:16 am

Very nice...but that Grizzly Bear has just not picked up the idea of hide and seek yet though :lol:
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:04 pm

I got a set of 5.25" speakers for the front doors but they aren't the correct size. I can buy adapters on ebay but I'm not sure what the spaces in the door panel are, any idea?

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”