How much for a full respray & rear wheel arch replacement?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: How much for a full respray & rear wheel arch replacemen

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:21 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike
I've never heard of the original velvety jobs causing problems....I really would like the Bongo done...from memory it was about 1/2 inch thick fur...great in blue, or red.... Yep...I know about laminar flow from the aspect of hydrodynamics...another of my hobbies...
Cheers
Helen
Sounds dodgy to me - you'll be forever combing it. And suppose it gets dandruff :roll: :lol: 8)

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi
I was waiting for someone to post that , Mike,....Well done :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:16 pm

^^^^
That's a brilliant film that is
My kids watch it over and over
Have you seen the new one
No where near as good
And quite smutty I thought with no need to be
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Gasy wrote:^^^^
That's a brilliant film that is
My kids watch it over and over
Have you seen the new one
No where near as good
And quite smutty I thought with no need to be
Blimey, didn't know the pic came from a film - it was just the only hairy van pic I could find. What film was that then? Crikey but we're way off thread :oops:
Muffatt
Bongonaut

Post by Muffatt » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:54 am

I replaced my rotten rear wheel arches and had a complete overhaul and respray in the same colour back in June cost me £1500 and it looked fantastic! :D

Well worth the money and she looks brand new now

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 44&t=70044
Celeste
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 am

[quote="Muffatt"]I replaced my rotten rear wheel arches and had a complete overhaul and respray in the same colour back in June cost me £1500 and it looked fantastic! :D

You obviously don't live in Sussex! :(

Derek
Muffatt
Bongonaut

Post by Muffatt » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:17 pm

No why?

The lady asking is West Midlands which is why I replied, thought the chap who did mine in notingham might be useful to her?
Celeste
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:18 pm

I think the good doctor may have had a much higher quote.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Down South you can add nearly another thousand to that for the quote :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Exactamundo!

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:21 am

Hi
I daren't tell how much I paid for a bottom half re-spray on the Jeep....It gets a lot of scratches from bushes, and it will probably need doing again, as it's scored a few more "bush-whackings" lately :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I couldn't be beggared to do it myself, and was dubious about the finish...but, hell....it was worth 5 times what I paid! :D :D :D
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Mrs Miggins
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Miggins » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:12 pm

We've had a look around and there's a bloke who has his own business spraying & welding and he's just around the corner from us. Turns out he's done quite a few Bongos (currently got one in now for the same job) and he's quoted us approx £1000 to do it. He filled us with far more confidence than everyone else. When we were discussing our needs he was talking about the job being done propely and finished off well. He's on the same trading estate as the mechanic who we use so he comes recommended.

So we're booked in for when he finished the one he's doing. But, there's a slight problem. I've just spoken to him on the phone and he said he's having a right old game fitting the arches on to the Bongo he's currently doing. He says they're sprinter arches but they certainly don't fit on as well as he was expecting. He mentioned something about the radius of the arches and there being a 20mm difference somewhere. The flare is fine and it fits by the bumper but not the sills or something like that. Apparently the customer has supplied their own arches which leads me to wonder whether or not they have the correct model??? Going to see him tomorrow to see exactly what the problem is.

Is there a particular year and model of wheel arch we should be getting? I have complete faith that he will do the job right but if there's a particular make, model and year that is best then it makes good sense to ensure we get the right ones.
It's pointless asking me......... I haven't got a clue!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Mrs Miggins wrote:We've had a look around and there's a bloke who has his own business spraying & welding and he's just around the corner from us. Turns out he's done quite a few Bongos (currently got one in now for the same job) and he's quoted us approx £1000 to do it. He filled us with far more confidence than everyone else. When we were discussing our needs he was talking about the job being done propely and finished off well. He's on the same trading estate as the mechanic who we use so he comes recommended.

So we're booked in for when he finished the one he's doing. But, there's a slight problem. I've just spoken to him on the phone and he said he's having a right old game fitting the arches on to the Bongo he's currently doing. He says they're sprinter arches but they certainly don't fit on as well as he was expecting. He mentioned something about the radius of the arches and there being a 20mm difference somewhere. The flare is fine and it fits by the bumper but not the sills or something like that. Apparently the customer has supplied their own arches which leads me to wonder whether or not they have the correct model??? Going to see him tomorrow to see exactly what the problem is.

Is there a particular year and model of wheel arch we should be getting? I have complete faith that he will do the job right but if there's a particular make, model and year that is best then it makes good sense to ensure we get the right ones.
I've read before on here about that. It is true that the Sprinter arches need a section inserting in order to get it all to line up. I suspect your guy is learning on the one he's currently doing and will have sussed it by the time yours is in to be done. If the job the does is to last, he should use a brush on coat of fibreglass resin (not P38 filler) first to seal any gaps between old metal and new arch metal. This is because the resin is effective as a moisture barrier whereas the P38 (Isopon) filler is porous. Once resin has been applied, P38 can be used to build up the area before sanding back to final blend. Seam sealer can be used where there is no need to be building up P38 etc. These are tips given me my the welder Adrian at Japandirect uses - he's still doing quality welding in his 70's and what he said made perfect sense to me.
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Mrs Miggins wrote:We've had a look around and there's a bloke who has his own business spraying & welding and he's just around the corner from us. Turns out he's done quite a few Bongos (currently got one in now for the same job) and he's quoted us approx £1000 to do it. He filled us with far more confidence than everyone else. When we were discussing our needs he was talking about the job being done propely and finished off well. He's on the same trading estate as the mechanic who we use so he comes recommended.

I have first hand experience of this problem. The sprinter arches are the best fit however as Mike stated you do need to cut them and weld a piece in to make sure they fit correctly. My welder cocked up first time around. I found this image on a previous thread and shows the sort of thing that can be done.

stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:51 pm

That's a picture of mine , first done using sprinter arches I believe. You do have to weld that extra piece in or either the bumper won't meet or the sill will be slightly too long, major problem when you have sill skirts fitted. I have seen this first hand on a friends bongo. The bodyshop had to cut and extend the sill cover.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”