Alloy Wheel Recommendations

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

yorksbob
Bongonaut

Alloy Wheel Recommendations

Post by yorksbob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Hello all

I am considering replacing my existing 15 inch steel wheels on my 2 litre petrol with 15 inch alloys. There seems to be a bewildering array to choose from and I wondered if any member could recommend a particular make that fits well, ideally without the need for spacers, and is a reasonable price. I would probably opt for new tyres as well so any recommendations for those would be gratefully received. Current tyres are 215 x 65 x R15 100H.

Thanks in advance
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Alloy Wheel Recommendations

Post by Diplomat » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Stick with steel, you can't go wrong.

I haven't bought a new tyre in the last six years, just other people's unwanted steel wheels with slightly worn tyres on them

I've now got enough wheels/tyres to run winter tyres if I want and to keep a front sized spare under the van and a rear sized spare at home. In one deal I got 2 wheels and four tyres for £50.

If the alloy look is what appeals, there are looks of eye deceiving wheel trims available. No hassle, no slow leaks, no cracked wheels when kerbing hard, cheaper tyres usually.

If you weren't in Yorkshire, I'd probably buy your steel wheels!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Diplomat wrote:Stick with steel, you can't go wrong.

I haven't bought a new tyre in the last six years, just other people's unwanted steel wheels with slightly worn tyres on them

I've now got enough wheels/tyres to run winter tyres if I want and to keep a front sized spare under the van and a rear sized spare at home. In one deal I got 2 wheels and four tyres for £50.

If the alloy look is what appeals, there are looks of eye deceiving wheel trims available. No hassle, no slow leaks, no cracked wheels when kerbing hard, cheaper tyres usually.

If you weren't in Yorkshire, I'd probably buy your steel wheels!

Frank
By the sounds of it Frank, sounds like you should be living in Yorkshire ;)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Did somebody say steel wheels
I'm not a fan of alloys
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:47 pm

If you change the wheels you ought to let your insurance company know. Mine came with original Mazda alloys which were in need of a refurb, but afterwards they look pretty smart and there are no worries about inferior aftermarket wheels.

Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Maybe someone will suggest some alloys soon but I think these are great.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... ep#p631002

It might be worth considering 17" wheels as you can then fit suv tyres which are widely available - this is if you want good off road grip.
Do consider the load rating of the wheels. I'm not sure what the recommendations are but our alloys are rated at 750kg which is quite high I gather.
yorksbob
Bongonaut

Post by yorksbob » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies - food for thought!

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”