Dual Voltmeter pimp

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

nth
Bongolier

Dual Voltmeter pimp

Post by nth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Decided to install some roof mounted voltmeters to monitor the both the batteries, mainly wanted them to keep an eye on the charging voltages after having my voltage sensing relay on my willinton kit fail a while back. They both come on in the accessories position, the LB monitor is Via a small relay so it only reads the LB voltage.
Was a bit nerve racking cutting the headlining, you only get one shot at that.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Dual Voltmeter pimp

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:29 pm

I like that. I'd like to do something similar but might go with a more discrete location.

Is it possible to have a switch so that you could just have one and flick a switch to go from one battery to the other?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:43 pm

sotal wrote:I like that. I'd like to do something similar but might go with a more discrete location.

Is it possible to have a switch so that you could just have one and flick a switch to go from one battery to the other?
That could be easily done with a 2 way switch. I prefered to be able to see both at the same time so at a glance i can see both batteries are charging. I spent ages trying to decide on the best location to fit them, you need about 25cm depth behind whatever place you fit them, i picked the headlining in the end as they are not right in your face when driving, there was enough space to fit both next to each other and you can see them clearly from in the back of the van too.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:53 pm

nth wrote:
sotal wrote:I like that. I'd like to do something similar but might go with a more discrete location.

That could be easily done with a 2 way switch. I prefered to be able to see both at the same time so at a glance i can see both batteries are charging. I spent ages trying to decide on the best location to fit them, you need about 25cm depth behind whatever place you fit them, i picked the headlining in the end as they are not right in your face when driving, there was enough space to fit both next to each other and you can see them clearly from in the back of the van too.
I take it you mean 25mm?! :shock:

I quite fancy one like you've got but maybe a 3 way switch, up for LB, middle for off and down for SB. I wonder if one would fit where 2 switch blanks are?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Those look really cool. Can you switch them off when not required?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:02 pm

sotal wrote: I take it you mean 25mm?! :shock:
Oooops, yes 25mm.
mikeonb4c wrote:Those look really cool. Can you switch them off when not required?
I have them wired so they come on when you turn the ignition to the 1st position, they switch off when the ignition is turned off. If preferred they could just as easily be connected up with a manual switch.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:45 pm

nth wrote:
sotal wrote: I take it you mean 25mm?! :shock:
Oooops, yes 25mm.
mikeonb4c wrote:Those look really cool. Can you switch them off when not required?
I have them wired so they come on when you turn the ignition to the 1st position, they switch off when the ignition is turned off. If preferred they could just as easily be connected up with a manual switch.
Super cool =D>
novocaine
Bongonaut

Post by novocaine » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:29 am

I have a single unit fitted in the same location and a switch by the steering wheel to flick between LB and SB. it is wired to an ignition live on the SB so it is only on when the engine is running for the SB and a flick of the switch changes it to LB which is perm live. it also does head temp and time on a constant loop which is useful. :) have no reason to monitor the SB when I'm camping, only reason I monitor the SB when moving is to see what the alternator is doing and I can flick to the LB to check the SCR. :)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:11 am

The ignition light on my V6 would only go out when the engine was doing 2000+rpm

I metered the battery / charge system out as something was obviously not right .. (Diode pack .. packed up) ..

So now I permanently keep a Volt meter plugged into the ciggy lighter .. it also monitors internal temperature (in Celsius .. so I have to double that and add 30 to get Fahrenheit) and two USB charger out puts ..(never used them) ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Ports-US ... 1ea21a0157
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:51 pm

I think I just like the look of two voltmeters, in different colours, and the idea that you can at all times see what's happening with both batteries. Less faffing about and/or chance of missing anything.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 pm

How come you have the leisure battery wired through the AUX on the ignition .. most use direct (fused) connections to the LB to feed internal lecky items so the ignition key does not have to be in the lock ....??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:
How come you have the leisure battery wired through the AUX on the ignition .. most use direct (fused) connections to the LB to feed internal lecky items so the ignition key does not have to be in the lock ....??
Eagle eyed Mike strikes again :lol:

Is it not possible just to have the LB voltmeter wired to Aux ignition even if the other services are wired direct to the LB?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:47 pm

The right hand meter is wired to the accesories position if the ignition switch, this feed then also opreates a small relay tucked behind the interior light which then supplies power to the second meter, i have taken the LB feed straight from the interior light as this is wired to the LB. The relay basically just interupts the LB feed to the meter when the ignition is off.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:54 pm

nth wrote:The right hand meter is wired to the accesories position if the ignition switch, this feed then also opreates a small relay tucked behind the interior light which then supplies power to the second meter, i have taken the LB feed straight from the interior light as this is wired to the LB. The relay basically just interupts the LB feed to the meter when the ignition is off.
Sounds cunning to me =D>
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:05 pm

I have an LED wired via a relay .. this is wired into an ignition life and a permanent live ..

When the ignition is on the LED is off (relay 'feed' contacts open).. the instant the ignition is turned off the relay contacts close feeding lecky to the LED .. it then flashes to show the Bongo is armed ..

Neat / cheap deterrent ..

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”