Waeco MS 50 Cruise Control - Fitting

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Waeco MS 50 Cruise Control - Fitting

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 am

Rather agree with Scanner.

I'd never done it but still fitted mine in an afternoon.

Shouldn't be more than an hour or two for a pro.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 pm

I'd agree with that for a pro who knows their way round a Bongo and who has the necessary bits at hand.

As a rank amateur I'm feeling inadequate!! It took me an evening just to make the mount (with curvy corners :) ) for the buttons. Then by the time I had confirmed exactly which White-blue speedo wire, located and sorted vacuum pipe with cold start already attached to it, how to remove carpet and door step plastic my couple hours was up! next time (huh hum), different story.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
indiaemily
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by indiaemily » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Yeh - I got a shock too but they don't use the trusty waeco ms 50 but a more sophisticated £300 unit. £300 labour. If I had that much to spend on cruise control I wouldn't be driving a 20 year old bongo !
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:27 pm

indiaemily wrote:Yeh - I got a shock too but they don't use the trusty waeco ms 50 but a more sophisticated £300 unit. £300 labour. If I had that much to spend on cruise control I wouldn't be driving a 20 year old bongo !
Very few Bongos can use anything MORE complicated than a MS50 that is why the MS50 is used.
It's amazing what firms will say to sell overpriced stuff.

I have had a "more sophisticated"* unit fitted to a full size motorhome with a drive by wire throttle - that only cost £345 fitted.

* All electronic with 2 memories.
indiaemily
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by indiaemily » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 pm

ms50 cruise control fitted and working - dodgy right knee woes are over at last ! - many thanks to all for advice especially Simon Jones for the fab guidance sheet - being a bit timid with anything safety critical I used a local auto electrician in Manchester - Vinnie 07712 874598 - highly recommended
indiaemily
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by indiaemily » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:32 pm

scanner wrote:
indiaemily wrote:Yeh - I got a shock too but they don't use the trusty waeco ms 50 but a more sophisticated £300 unit. £300 labour. If I had that much to spend on cruise control I wouldn't be driving a 20 year old bongo !
Very few Bongos can use anything MORE complicated than a MS50 that is why the MS50 is used.
It's amazing what firms will say to sell overpriced stuff.

I have had a "more sophisticated"* unit fitted to a full size motorhome with a drive by wire throttle - that only cost £345 fitted.

* All electronic with 2 memories.

agree with you Scanner - but I could not find anyone to fit cruise control on a bongo so I guess they are in a monopoly position. Monopoly usually = high prices ... Thankfully I found you kind folks in the bongo community !
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:42 pm

indiaemily wrote:ms50 cruise control fitted and working - dodgy right knee woes are over at last ! - many thanks to all for advice especially Simon Jones for the fab guidance sheet - being a bit timid with anything safety critical I used a local auto electrician in Manchester - Vinnie 07712 874598 - highly recommended
That could be a useful number for me to keep. Is his main business auto-electric stuff, whereabouts in Manchester is he based and does he do home visits? I wouldn't mind having a wiring check done at some point, as I have a couple of minor issues I could use getting checked out.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Mine all fitted, using my usual garage who are great and Bongo savvy, but it still took a while to get it sorted. Had it not been for help on here (take a bow Simon and Scanner :D ) with advice re cutting the elusive black wire we would have been well stuck.

As it is, the Waeco works perfectly, spot on, and worth every penny. Set it at 60 on the Mway, wedge the steering wheel straight, tuck in behind a friendly truck, and slip into the back for a cuppa and a DVD... :shock:

Derek
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:03 pm

.............. £300 labour.
That is the bit I can't understand............ HOW MUCH???

I had my motorhome one fitted by Dave Newell in Telford - we left the motorhome with him and went off into Telford on the bus, we had hardly got to the shops when we had a call saying it was fitted - one and a half hours max and I know he doesn't charge £200/hour.

Worth a call if anyone wants one fitted.
http://davenewell.co.uk/cruise-control/

anything Conrad Anderson can supply - he can supply.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Remember to let the insurers know that CC has been fitted as it is considered a modification. It (typically) shouldn't affect the premium but they may charge an admin fee to get the policy updated. If you coincide it with renewal then it probably won't cost anything. This lot cost just £20 admin fee.

indiaemily
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by indiaemily » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:35 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
indiaemily wrote:ms50 cruise control fitted and working - dodgy right knee woes are over at last ! - many thanks to all for advice especially Simon Jones for the fab guidance sheet - being a bit timid with anything safety critical I used a local auto electrician in Manchester - Vinnie 07712 874598 - highly recommended
That could be a useful number for me to keep. Is his main business auto-electric stuff, whereabouts in Manchester is he based and does he do home visits? I wouldn't mind having a wiring check done at some point, as I have a couple of minor issues I could use getting checked out.

auto electrician is mobile, based in south manchester - knows the bongo - is also a DJ, good pool player & singer, what more could you ask for? cheers
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:57 pm

indiaemily wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

auto electrician is mobile, based in south manchester - knows the bongo - is also a DJ, good pool player & singer, what more could you ask for? cheers
Wow, well that's a spot of luck. I'll keep him on file. Thanks a lot for that. :D
Surzy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Surzy » Tue May 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Sorry for digging up an old post - but looking to have CC fitted to my 96 auto diesel very soon.

Is the MS50 still the recommended unit to fit?

Hopefully wondering if vinny the autoelecticaldj is still fitting these too as i work in manchester - and that would be handy :)
M Reg Auto Diesel Tin Top
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue May 10, 2016 6:30 pm

If you can still get one it is really the only unit to fit as it is so easy to fit and so reliable once set up properly.

A few still available on Amazon a bit dearer than they used to be, but even then still good value.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waeco-MS-50-Cr ... B0000WPNLE

IMHO the best mod for any Bongo.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”