How do I remove the aero stickers safely from the doors?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

donaldthomps
Bongonaut

How do I remove the aero stickers safely from the doors?

Post by donaldthomps » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me how do I remove the aero / city runner stickers safely from the driver and passenger doors please?

Thanks, D
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: How do I remove the aero stickers safely from the doors?

Post by stuc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Just use a little bit of heat and peel them off, or use a caramel/toffee wheel which will remove the stickers and glue but not harm the paintwork as long as it's original.
If the Aero stickers are the domed/raised type I just used a bit of heat and patience, I even got them both off complete so I have kept them if they ever need putting on again.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 pm

As Stu says, a bit of heat, hairdryer not a heat gun though, and maybe an old credit card if their a bit stubborn. If there's any glue left on the doors, try surgical spirit, (about a £1 from the chemist).
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
Jonny Tunnel
Bongonaut

Post by Jonny Tunnel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

Zoff adhesive remover wipes, after youve used a bit of heat
weller
Junior Bongonaut

Post by weller » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi guys,

I recently removed all my old cracked and discoloured stickers. I used a paint stripping heat gun, at a safe none paint melting distance. The stickers peeled off very easily, but left lots of glue residue. I used three ways of removing the glue, as it's extremely persistent. I initially used petrol, which you obviously need to be very careful with and beware of the flammable vapour.

The petrol was working fine, but I then visited my local body repair shop and purchased some sticker and tar remover. This was okay but not as good as petrol. Secondly I used some standard paint thinners. This will obviously strip new fresh paint but is okay on old paint, as long as it's not on for an age.

The thinners was by far the best at taking the glue off. I left it to soak for 5 mins, then took an ice scraper to it to remove the main part of the glue off and then a second application to remove the residue. If your going to use thinners, it's best to be aware of it's stripping capability if left to pool on a flat surface. On a vertical surface it should evaporate before causing any damage to old paint. I'm level 3 City and Guilds car body qualified, so if your not too sure get someone who is confident to use this method.

Happy stripping.
weller
Junior Bongonaut

Post by weller » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi guys,

I recently removed all my old cracked and discoloured stickers. I used a paint stripping heat gun, at a safe none paint melting distance. The stickers peeled off very easily, but left lots of glue residue. I used three ways of removing the glue, as it's extremely persistent. I initially used petrol, which you obviously need to be very careful with and beware of the flammable vapour.

The petrol was working fine, but I then visited my local body repair shop and purchased some sticker and tar remover. This was okay but not as good as petrol. Secondly I used some standard paint thinners. This will obviously strip new fresh paint but is okay on old paint, as long as it's not on for an age.

The thinners was by far the best at taking the glue off. I left it to soak for 5 mins, then took an ice scraper to it to remove the main part of the glue off and then a second application to remove the residue. If your going to use thinners, it's best to be aware of it's stripping capability if left to pool on a flat surface. On a vertical surface it should evaporate before causing any damage to old paint. I'm level 3 City and Guilds car body qualified, so if your not too sure get someone who is confident to use this method.

Happy stripping.
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:03 pm

I've just removed the old roof stickers - tried heat and solvents, and Stanley blade. After 2 hours, had removed 'Free' and 'Top' on one side.

Then I bought a toffee wheel from eBay and laughed at the speed I finished the job - About half an hour to do the rest of it!

Highly recommended method, just be careful not to allow it to get too hot. I simply used my cordless drill and it did the job a treat.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm

I just did one side of the roof decals (95 worth the grey primer colour roof). I used a hair drier and a thin metal ruler. I tried a toffee wheel, but found it quickly removed the paint! I used surgical spirit to remove adhesive residue and finally tcut to buff it up. Came out well, but took a while.
Beyond A to B
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 pm

dom_e wrote:I just did one side of the roof decals (95 worth the grey primer colour roof). I used a hair drier and a thin metal ruler. I tried a toffee wheel, but found it quickly removed the paint! I used surgical spirit to remove adhesive residue and finally tcut to buff it up. Came out well, but took a while.
Mine is a '95 with grey roof - had no problems with paint removal using the toffee wheel - just don't leave it in one place for any length of time.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Hmmm. I'll try again (on the other side) and move around more.
Beyond A to B
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:27 am

Looks like its all been covered. :P

THINNERS IS A NO NO A BIG FAT NO NO

Please i do wish people would not advice to use thinners.
No matter how long its left on the paint new or old as soon as it touches the body work its doing what it says on the tin.
if i had a £1 for the amount of people that call me up regarding people advising then to use thinners to remove decals and its damaged the paint work and they need a decal to hide it. i wouldn't need to make decals.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”