Hatch thing

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

markov1723
Bongolier

Hatch thing

Post by markov1723 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Im considering rebuilding the access bit into the AFT... main reason is so rapidly growing near 6 year old doesn't have to drop onto fathers legs when we are out.

Currently it has the factory config, trapdoor behind front seats and odd round hand trap door behind passenger seat.

Idea is to re work it so the trap door is maybe the length of the hatch and on the left above the sliding door.

Anyone done similar?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Hatch thing

Post by Gasy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Some people turn the floor around so the hatch is at the other end rear of vehicle

Then your 6 year old can drop out onto your head

But lots seem to do it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 pm

We came up with the 'catflap' named after myself even though it wasn't actually my design it was the other half umbongochris.

321 Away took the idea on and now will do it for others... they were at one stage charging £135.00 but may have gone up .

Here's some pics of ours - it's a prototype. they now make it look nicer by covering the metal bits with felt.

Works really well for children and adults getting out of the roof when they need to without waking the other person up there. We're both very tall and I was able to get down to go to the loo without waking my partner as he would only have to curl his feet up for me to get to the hatch and hence not wake properly.

A few peeps on here have since had a 'catflap' put in or made it themselves. There's bound to be some vans at the bash with one for you to look at :)
I love cheese!
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:00 pm

umbongocat wrote: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 pm We came up with the 'catflap' named after myself even though it wasn't actually my design it was the other half umbongochris.

321 Away took the idea on and now will do it for others... they were at one stage charging £135.00 but may have gone up .

Here's some pics of ours - it's a prototype. they now make it look nicer by covering the metal bits with felt.

Works really well for children and adults getting out of the roof when they need to without waking the other person up there. We're both very tall and I was able to get down to go to the loo without waking my partner as he would only have to curl his feet up for me to get to the hatch and hence not wake properly.

A few peeps on here have since had a 'catflap' put in or made it themselves. There's bound to be some vans at the bash with one for you to look at :)
Did the aluminium U section serve well enough to reinforce the roof or was more reinforcement needed please?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Good luck, but this post is 5 years old and Catherine hasn't much been on here since. :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:31 am

I used a small section box into the cut ends, then over layed a c section just to strengthen it when you sit on the edge, or climb in on you knees, point load and all that scientific stuff. Or just Fred dibnah over engineered.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:49 am

And the whole joly issue was powered by steam.

Ahh Hmm... :wink:

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”