Astra lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Astra lights

Post by dave_aber » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Something that's been on my round tuit list for a while was to either facelift my van using lights, bumper, grille, etc from a later scrapper, or follow Helen's lead and fit Mk3 Astra lights.

So, after much not getting round to it, I eventually got a set of Astra lights, and a set of spare Bongo ones to saw up.

The only problem is that living so far North, I'll have to wait until midnight or September to test them out!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Astra lights

Post by Gasy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm

They look cool tho mate
Easy job
Is there much of a gap left
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Fairly straightforward, the first trick is working out how much of the original lamps to keep and how much to ditch. Basically you keep the ends, and remove the rest.

There's a bit of fabrication needed to join the lamps to the bits of the originals.

You need to modify the ends of the grille as it is too wide to fit between the new lamps.

As for gaps, there is a bit of a gap along the bottom. I've stuck an orange led strip in there wired to the indicators.
Image...Image
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Tidy! Grrrr!
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:20 am

Hi
The way I fitted mine left the gap at the top...

The Bongo has changed a bit since that snapshot :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Kelvyn
Bongonaut

Post by Kelvyn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Could a numpty do this?

My lights need polishing (again) - I was considering fitting HID kit, but this could be the way forward.
Vehicle Graphics, Signs & Print - http://www.ksdigital.eu
KTM 640 Adventure and Ford Freda
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:08 pm

If you were going down the HID route, you'd really need to fit the correct headlamps from a later model and the associated wiring and levelling system. You'd probably need the grille and under-headlamp panels.

Aftermarket HID bulbs in conventional headlamps are not generally considered to be legal.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/faqs.html
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 am

I considered the HID route(s).

As Simon says, the after-market HID Replacement 'bulbs' which fit the standard lamps do not work (in theory) and are technically illegal. In practice, they actually work OK - but are still illegal, and a roadside stop by a fussy policeman just gets more awkward.

Factory Fit HID full lamps, depending on the year of your van would mean a set of (Rare) lamps and associated electronics, and (if you have a pre-facelift model as I do) a set of trim panels, grille and front bumper, and a front-end respray unless you get lucky with parts in the right colour. Expensive. Also technically still illegal, as these would not be "Factory fit", but it would have to be a very well researched policeman who had a good understanding of Bongos to know.

Helen's "Astra" lamp conversion isn't HID, but it meets the same requirements - i.e. More light down the road, and it looks "cool". Also not too expensive, and relatively easy. These lamps are supplied with a good plug-in harness so the electrical aspect is simple. The difficult bit is the fabrication of brackets - but it's actually relatively straightforward.
Image...Image
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:46 am

I think the Astra lights look like a very smart alternatives, and the folk who have undertaken the conversion have done a very neat job such that you would never know they are not original. I particularly like the ability to change from RHD to LHD for when travelling abroad.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 am

Hi
I get around that lack of light with the KC Daylighters in a long range light configuration...(only off-road, you understand... :wink: )...and I have plans for a set of roof-mounted lights that will burn tarmac, when I can afford them!!!!! :roll: ...I think they're rated in trillions of candle-power :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:11 am

not astra lights but I have just seen these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181533714736? ... EBIDX%3AIT
apparently they are t4 lights, I'm not sure which or how much work it would be to fit but they do look pretty good
.......... cycling more.
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi,

Can someone post a picture of the astra lights they have fitted.
I would like to see the connector side so that I can see how they fix to the van.

Thanks
Mathew
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:22 pm

You have to either fabricate brackets to link the Astra mountings to the Bongo bodywork, or you have to fabricate brackets to attach the ends of a pair of sawn-up Bongo lights to the Astra lamps with their lugs cut off. I'm not with my van right now, so I can't get a photo.
Image...Image
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 am

A photo at some point would be good, as I would like to fit them before my van gets painted.

Thanks.
dave_aber wrote:You have to either fabricate brackets to link the Astra mountings to the Bongo bodywork, or you have to fabricate brackets to attach the ends of a pair of sawn-up Bongo lights to the Astra lamps with their lugs cut off. I'm not with my van right now, so I can't get a photo.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 am

I have seen one fit where there are brackets rivetted to the van to accept the Astra mounting lugs. Despite searching here and facebook baong pages, I can't seem to find the photos just now.

My brackets attach the ends of the Bongo lamps to the bodies of the Astra lamps, so there's no modification to the van itself - you can remove these and refit the original lamps in a few minutes.

All I have modified on the van is the grille.

DA
Image...Image

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”