Astra lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Puma931
Bongolier

Re: Astra lights

Post by Puma931 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:27 pm

I'll have a go at fitting my new astra lights this weekend.
Thanks.
dave_aber wrote:I have seen one fit where there are brackets rivetted to the van to accept the Astra mounting lugs. Despite searching here and facebook baong pages, I can't seem to find the photos just now.

My brackets attach the ends of the Bongo lamps to the bodies of the Astra lamps, so there's no modification to the van itself - you can remove these and refit the original lamps in a few minutes.

All I have modified on the van is the grille.

DA
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Puma931 wrote:I'll have a go at fitting my new astra lights this weekend.
Thanks.
Did you have any joy fitting these?
As mentiones before, anyone with picks to help me make the leap would be good.
.......... cycling more.
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Tried but gave up :(
Can someone post some detailed pics of how they fitted them (which bit they cut and how they connected it to the astra light).
meek.tv wrote:
Puma931 wrote:I'll have a go at fitting my new astra lights this weekend.
Thanks.
Did you have any joy fitting these?
As mentiones before, anyone with picks to help me make the leap would be good.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm

I'm away from the van for about 3 weeks - will post some 'inside' pics once I'm back. unless Helen can post some?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi
I'll see what I can do over the weekend...I'm not able to do it in daylight hours at the moment, and the Bongo's in the Barn with front inaccessible
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Still unclear as to the 'legality' of a HID kit (which I have fitted). Two MOT testers have been perfectly happy with them "as long as they're aligned correctly, no problem" and "leveling systems and washers must work, IF FITTED". That's their take on it, and one of them quoted that last comment from rules and regs somewhere, don't know where, after I pressed him to double check.

They are certainly the easiest fix for the useless bongo headlamps question, and are probably a lot safer than the poor originals. Never had a problem, never been flashed or pulled over, and they are no brighter than 1000's of modern vehicles on the roads today.

Derek
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 pm

My understanding is they are not legal, but that's not to say you can't pass an MOT with them fitted. My LED sidelights are not E/CE marked yet have passed several MOTs.

Further reading: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/faqs.html

Is HID xenon Legal?
Unfortunately no aftermarket HID kit is strictly road legal as you are changing the lighting system (from halogen to gas discharge) in your car and for this reason the bulbs can't be E marked which is a legal requirement. You also won't have the self leveling and washer systems installed which is also a legal requirement for HID and without these installed the kit would be an MOT failure. HID kits are plug and play so they are easy to remove and replace with standard bulbs come MOT time.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

"You also won't have the self leveling and washer systems installed which is also a legal requirement for HID and without these installed the kit would be an MOT failure."

This is where the law appears to be 'unclear". See my 2nd MOT man's verdict. "Levelers and washers must be working... IF FITTED"..as I said, I asked him to double check the regs, and that's what he came back with. Good enough for me. :wink:

Derek
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:26 pm

If you're like me, once you've found an MOT station that you trust to be fair and sensible, then you will tend to return year after year. With three cars in our household, they know me on first name terms now :)
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:56 pm

In my experience as an ATA Assessor talking to my colleague many MOT testers are unsure of the regs themselves. My understanding was the same as Simons, unless they have levelling and washers they are not legal, however as said an MoT tester may pass it if you are on good terms with them. On my bike I have several items which may not be, Ahem!, road legal but my tester knows I will fit them for the test then take them off again, so gives an advisory for said items then a pass certificate.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:19 pm

My Bongo has factory-fitted HIDs which have neither washers or self-levelling although the reflectors are motorised which can be adjusted via dashboard control. So far, no problems at any MOT. I think it helps to have them correctly adjusted and stick to decent colour temperature bulbs (around 4300K) so they don't draw attention or raise any reasons for concern.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39 am

Hi
I wish you hadn't mentioned the leveling , Simon...I must get the leveling kit for my Astra lights....I feel an e-Bay visit coming on! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 am

Tell me more Helen.....
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:23 am

Hi Dave
On the back of the Astra light is an aperture for the connecting rod of the leveling motor, and the motor fits into the aperture. I seem to remember the hole being around 1" - 1 1/2" in diameter, and the motor housing fits in. I expect you can get a peek at the installation in an Astra manual at the local library. There is an accompanying switch in the Astra dash, but whether there is a relay, I'm unsure...possibly not , as the motors are only small. On the Astra I had over here , there wasn't a motor unit, but the lights were all made for them. If you look on your light, you'll see the aperture at the bottom somewhere at one side of the headlamp unit.
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Dave
Further to the above post, here it is:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headlight-Hea ... 19ee678722
As you can see, the part is a bit pricey from this seller, plus the international postage is way over normal...I can get the same part sent from the 'States with customs included for less :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...Some folk just play the e-Bay game of "Double your Postage" :lol:
So...a trip to the scrappie???...you'll need the switch as well....Let me know how you fare, as I might try here for some motors!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”