Another dash cam

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: Another dash cam

Post by ELZE » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:45 pm

longhaul8 wrote:As a lot of people will have android phones I have been trying out an app. Daily roads voyager

it does all the other cameras do it's on your phone so easy to move car to car a little battery heavy but left on charge no problem.

I have a it set to record to my memory card and a 16gig limit set records a full 9 hour drive in my truck without rewriting over any of the footage.

you can also choose to have gps running as well so you geotag locations. you can also set up for g force so if you slam the brakes on it records not tried that function yet..... :lol:

Sound cool I will have a look at this having a Samsung!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 am

Sorry to re-activate an old thread, but member Les of Bath has been in touch. Can anyone help?

"I am wiring a dashcam to fuse 8 (cigarette lighter) but where can I find a good negative connection nearby?"
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Why not use the back of the socket itself rather than the fuse point, you have both +12 and earth at the same location ...
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:10 am

I have just ordered a £20.00 dash cam given the attrocious number of w******* level drivers on the roads. I was rather hoping I can super glue the rear cam onto the main unit facing backwards (Let's face it I won't be looking at that LCD on the move) as I don't want run a long cable all the way back. I will see if that is possible, I went for one of these.

I will let you know if it is a load of rubbish or not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-1080P-Dual ... Swg-tcMyJI
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:26 pm

First impression is it actually seems quite good. Easy to use interface and the rear cam shows up when plugged in. I suspect my plan
to glue the rear cam on the front LCD (firing backwards) might not work as there is a multi wire ead that is 3M long supplied. (Could cut and solder but hmm.. not sure yet might have to forego the rear firing cam I shall see when I find some time to put it in. I may try and wire it with the long wire, I shall see.)

If you have a temp alarm and a Sat nav and then a dash cam the wiring set up is going to be like spaghetti junction over the centre console.
One step at a time and I will see where I am, but first impressions are that it seems ok for £20.00

I put a 16GB Kingston Micro SD card in that cost £3.30 and it seems fine.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:03 pm

I use one of the ones that clips over the rear view mirror- the lcd goes off after a minute and you then have a normal mirror. It records both front and rear :wink:
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Care to post up some sample footage?

Is the rear camera a seperate unit, how long is the connector cable to connect them together?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 pm

I have not got any further with this yet so nothing to add, yes I saw the mirror ones but could not get my head
around how they work quite so gave it a miss. I may regret it.

I will report back once it is in. tbh all the wires etc are putting me off. It will also be time consuming a faff to put it in and out all the time.
The mirror one could have been handy. I will see what I work out in the end.

*Wire to rear cam is approx 6 meters long
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Just to add, as we tend to fill the Bongo with kitchen sink when we go away the rear view is often partially obscured by camping clutter, I do my best to pack it down as low as I can (we often carry a couple of plastic garden chairs with us instead of those back destroying collapsing camping ones.) so I think the inside mirror cam may not have worked for us, that sprang to mind when I considered gluing the rear facing cam to the front cam (which would not have worked either).

I have a little while this arvo to assess how to run the wire and how to best mount the rear cam on the back window.

They are definitely a bit of a faffy item if you have not wired them in permanently.

Update edit.. the wire from the rear cam easily went through tucked behind the Bongo plastic trims over the driver door inside
rubber seal down the side and front of dash, no probs, slightly trickier might be the affixing of the rear
cam to the tail gate window edging. For now I took the "easy" option if hoping super glue will hold ! (I lost
the small bit of sticky double sided foam supplied. Prefer not to have to start drilling and screwing if possible.)

Remember to leave slack for the rear gate opening up..7 or 8 inches covers it.

Fingers crossed the superglue will hold, I have a sneaking suspicion it may not though. Incredible how super glue
will very reliably stick your skin together given a chance, actual objects required to be adhered together, not so much. :roll:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Seems to have held, went along the edge of the little metal bracket against the rubber just for good measure.
Well surprisingly simple to get that routed and fixed up. Love the easy jobs !

I will do a test recording at some point and report back on its quality, unlikely to post it up though but can give you an indication.
Looks fine on the LCD, so doubt it can be much worse than that unless it is really badly compressed or encoded, if you do go for this cam
then be very careful pushing the little flash card in. That entry point is not the strong point of the head unit. Just look very carefully, and
there is no indiation of which way to put the card in so if you meet any resistance do not force it..mine went in very smooth without any
resistance at all, just be very gentle.

Edit update: Just went for a spin and video quality is fine. One quirk is that the rear cam video plays for 3 seconds then jerks slightly, not badly
and there is zero interruption of the video so it is not a major issue. Front cam records smooth and is good quality. Not sussed how to transfer video yet (other than putting the flash memory into a card reader if you have a knock.) as the main unit is not immediately registered as a USB memory device when plugged into a PC.

I am impressed thus far. The instructions are not that great and very, very small text.

Oh and the video was good enough even with the bit of plastic protecting the front lens in transit left on.. numpty ! :lol:
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:21 am

Alkers wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm Care to post up some sample footage?

Is the rear camera a seperate unit, how long is the connector cable to connect them together?

Sorry didn't see this post. The one I bought was this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 The picture quality is about the same as the Nextbase ones.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Ok TheLongRoad I see the mirror ones also have a cable to the rear cam so that would have been ok. (when our luggage is piled up)
I thought the rear view cam was on the mirror head unit as well.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:48 pm

The little picture in the rear view mirror turns off after 1 min. You then have a normal mirror. If you touch the mirror surface the display shows the current footage. You can select between front and rear cams or both. I use the rear facing cam a lot when I tow a trailer (not with the Bongo). It's handy to keep an eye on the trailer.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Cool, well if you are on a budget I am chuffed with the £20.00 one so far.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 pm

If you're spending a bit more then look for dash cams powered by super capacitors rather than lithium batteries as they reportedly stand up to the heat better.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”