air suspension

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Terri & colin
Bongolier

air suspension

Post by Terri & colin » Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 am

iv just brought air suspension for the old bongo, it bottoms out at every given chance, and I'm lucky not to have lost teeth lol so iv bite the bullet and will get it fitted the weekend ourselves. Any got it fitted on them fitted and did it make a difference?

Terri =P~
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: air suspension

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 01, 2013 8:13 am

Hi
1/. Yes
2/.Yes
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Terri & colin
Bongolier

Post by Terri & colin » Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 am

Lol thanks Helen :wink:
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Good addition to any bongo, easy diy job and my top tip would be to use WD40 for lubrication on fitting the air assisters into the springs....... :wink:
Bongo no more........... ;-(
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 am

Don't forget to give your Insurance Company a wee phone call,they may class this as a Modification and could render your Insurance Policy Void,and you would be liable to prosecution for driving without Insurance.

Some people may argue with this but its Your Responsibility.

Cheers.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi
The best call if you 'phone the insurance co. is to tell the company EXACTLY what they are...Spring assisters for towing!...tell them they're air suspension, which they're NOT, and they'll see £££££ signs fluttering before their eyes, and ask for extra cash....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 01, 2013 12:15 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
The best call if you 'phone the insurance co. is to tell the company EXACTLY what they are...Spring assisters for towing!...tell them they're air suspension, which they're NOT, and they'll see £££££ signs fluttering before their eyes, and ask for extra cash....
Cheers
Helen
Would that mean you would also tell them that you have a Tow Bar Fitted Also..

:)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi
Nope...just waiting on delivery of a SPECIAL TOWBAR....anyway....trying to say that it's to stop it bottoming when you've got a bootful of camping gear will only bring a response like "you mustn't overload it"....but really, it's not going to matter in a few years, as the insurance companies will want extra cash if you intend to drive it!
Cheers
Helen
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 pm

rita wrote: Would that mean you would also tell them that you have a Tow Bar Fitted Also..
With C&CC (at least), a towbar is on their list of permitted modifications, as is LPG conversion, so the policy can be updated with no increase in premium, although they do charge an admin fee for the new policy doc.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi
It would be interesting if there was a list of so-called "permitted" modifications posted as a sticky in the insurance section...It seems to me that insurance companies will stop people doing anything to their cars...a bit on the greedy side...however, I wonder how many dodgy claims they have to process...not all claims are as innocent as the paper they're written on!
Cheers
Helen
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Simon Jones wrote:
rita wrote: Would that mean you would also tell them that you have a Tow Bar Fitted Also..
With C&CC (at least), a towbar is on their list of permitted modifications, as is LPG conversion, so the policy can be updated with no increase in premium, although they do charge an admin fee for the new policy doc.

Hi,do you know why the C&CC do not insure Grey Import cars. :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 pm

What makes you say that rita ? We are with C&CC and we stated that it was a grey import, but had no problems ? They seem to know about Bongo's and the variations between them ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm

g8dhe wrote:What makes you say that rita ? We are with C&CC and we stated that it was a grey import, but had no problems ? They seem to know about Bongo's and the variations between them ?

Hi Geoff,my friends have a Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper insured with the C&CC,but when they tried to insure their car which is a Grey Import they were told NO Grey Imports. :?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm

They certainly insured both my Bongos with no issues. They are knowledgable when it comes to Bongos & have many of the usual convertors on their list.

I expect the real reason they refused insurance was that is was a car not a camper/motorhome. They wont insure unconverted Bongos either as I recall.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Simon Jones wrote:They certainly insured both my Bongos with no issues. They are knowledgable when it comes to Bongos & have many of the usual convertors on their list.

I expect the real reason they refused insurance was that is was a car not a camper/motorhome. They wont insure unconverted Bongos either as I recall.
Found this on their web site car insurance.

On-line Quote Eligibility Criteria

To save you time, we base your quote on a series of assumptions. Please confirm that you meet these criteria before proceeding with your quote:-

The vehicle:
has not been modified
is not a grey import
is not 'Q' registered

You, the proposer:

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”