Cruise Control Fitting

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

LukeK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cruise Control Fitting

Post by LukeK » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi All,

Just fitted a cruise control Waeco model all went well except it does not work so I followed the testing procedure in the manual.
The 1st set of test for electrics passed ok.
I attempted the tests for the servo unit but none work, its asks me to check the electricial connections and the vacuum feed.

I followed some notes and an images posted by Simnn Jones whch ishowed me a connection point, when I checked it it did not ahave a rubber bung but I still used it, how do I check if the vacuum take off point is working.

Merry Xmas all and thanks in Advance
Luke
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Cruise Control Fitting

Post by rita » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

LukeK wrote:Hi All,

Just fitted a cruise control Waeco model all went well except it does not work so I followed the testing procedure in the manual.
I attempted the tests for the servo unit but none work, its asks me to check the electricial connections and the vacuum feed.

I followed some notes and an images posted by Simnn Jones whch ishowed me a connection point, when I checked it it did not ahave a rubber bung but I still used it, how do I check if the vacuum take off point is working.

Luke
Hi,if you put your finger over the open vacuum pipe you should feel the suction(with the engine running),you would need to remove the stopper/bung before you fitted the CC vacuum pipe.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:49 pm

There could be a connection to your other post about poor braking:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=59090

The vacuum pipe that you've connect the CC unit to is used to supply vacuum to the brake servo to make the braking easier. If the rubber bung was missing then, braking performance will not be as good as it should. Now you've effectively plugged the hole back up, you may notice an improvement.

The other thing that many people are not aware of is that brake fluid should be changed every two years as it is hydroscopic which means it will absorb moisure. As the brakes get hot, the water turns to steam so you end up with air in the system which results in a spongy brake pedal.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I seem to have lost the control box from my waeco ms50 cruise control coming home from centre parcs, if anyone has a spare or knows where to get one, as I have searched, I would be extremely grateful.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:29 pm

LukeK wrote:Hi All,

Luke
Hi,there is a strong possibility that the pipe is gunked up,and might not be serviceable(needing cleared)
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 am

best place to pick up the vacuum is at the lower front of the engine (drivers side!) under the main water in pipe/cambelt cover, where small rubber hose goes onto a metal pipe which feeds the solenoids. i've always picked up there and never had a problem.

IIRC test procedure is start car with set button pressed, then switch on, the set/reset should advance/retard throttle,off/brake to cancel?

Julian
LukeK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LukeK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi,
I could not get the cruise control to work even though I had a replacement sent. It has been fitted as per the instructions.
When I tested the unit it passed all the 1st stage tests but failed when I attempted to test the vacum servo unit.
I thought it may have been the vacum feed but I have taken the rubber hose off and I get suction which I assume must mean that the vacum side of it works.
Has anbody got any ideas why it is not workiong and what to look for.

Cheers
Luke
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm

what test procedure are you trying? and what wire colours/connections have you used?

start car with set button pressed, then switch on, the set/reset should advance/retard throttle,off/brake to cancel. You have to hold the set button down for a few seconds cos the initial movement is minimal, i got caught out with that the first time i fitted a unit?

Also post where you are and you might have someone nearby who has some know how.

Julian
LukeK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LukeK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 am

Hi,

First may thanks for the responses, had the Bongo for almost a year used most weekends especially around the Lake District.

I live in Bolton so the Lakes provides a good area for walking.

THe crusie control fitting went well following the manufacturers instructions along with information in the forum.

In response to the last post the Servo has Red, Black and White wires and these come from the wiring loom that was supplied with the KIT.

I have started the Car with the Set button pressed and then switched the Cruise control on and then attmpted to use SET to increase the throttle but without any luck.

I am picking up the server feed from under the passenger seat at the front near the 2 pulleys.

Cheers
Luke
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 pm

If you remove the vacuum pipe at the cc unit is there is a strong vacuum there with the engine running?

Youve said that it passed electrical check so brake pedal and power are all ok? can you confirm wire colours? wondering if brake pedal connection is correct, think it was green with a trace iirc (but dont bet on that, will check later)

Julian
LukeK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LukeK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,
I found a way of testing the Vacuum Unit via the Forum
Earth the Black & White wires and make the Red live if the Vacuum unit did not cause a acceleration to increase the nthe unit was faulty, SUCCESS it worked so the issue must be with the wiring. Looks Like I'll have to check the Speedo and Brake Connections to see if they are OK.

I am sure that I read somewhere that if the speedo sensor is working then the read light on the Cruise Control UNit should keep flashing, does anyone know if this is correct or any way of testing the that the Speedo Sensor is working.

Cheers
Luke
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I seem to recall the led should flash proportionally to the speed of the vehicle. If it flashes faster as you go faster, then the signal is good. Have you cut he black link wire on the control unit? I had to do that on mine.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 pm

speedo pick up is middle clock plug, blue with white trace.

As simon said, depending on where you pick up from (if you have a chip), if not then cut the loop, but if you do and your picking up after the chip, (mph signal) then leave the loop intact. Personally i always pick up an original kmh signal and cut the loop, makes it more accurate and sensitive.

Not sure if the speedo signal will affect the test procedure tho? whereas incorrect connection to the brake light circuit would constantly be telling the unit to switch off.

julian

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”