Stereo fit - Sony to Pioneer

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

dom_e
Tribal Elder

Stereo fit - Sony to Pioneer

Post by dom_e » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:50 pm

I plan to replace my Sony CD player with a Pioneer one (both not very fancy units, but the new one plays MP3 CDs. Are the fittings/connections likely to be the same, or am I likely to have to buy new wiring looms?

Thanks.

Dom
Beyond A to B
MarcT77
Bongolier

Re: Stereo fit - Sony to Pioneer

Post by MarcT77 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Should be the same,I replaced the fitted Kenwood on my Freda with
a DAB/MP3/Aux/FM/Am unit straight fitment apart from finding somewhere
to house the DAB aerial,this I stuck up on it's side in the AFT where it gives faultless reception.

For the record it's a Sonichi from Halfords IIRC it was @ £60
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:46 pm

depends? is one a japanese unit? if not then both will use standard iso, if one was a japanese unit then someteimes they come made to fit the original mazda loom, what age is the vehicle?

julian
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm currently looking to change mine too, I think mine's the original that came with the freda, 98 P plate and the stereo is a sony cdx-4160rds
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm

By the way that Sonichi DAB sounds like a brilliant deal at £60, they're currently £80 on the website.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. The Sony unit I am replacing is quite modern ish, so I guess is ISO the same as the Pioneer one. A long shot, but I'm guessing the surround cage isn't a standard ISO fitting. That would save pulling all that bit out as well.

Also; I have a LB battery fitted and I'm not sure which setting to use on the aac (thing that detects if the engine is on) - on or off?

Ta
Beyond A to B
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Mcrdave wrote:By the way that Sonichi DAB sounds like a brilliant deal at £60, they're currently £80 on the website.
I could have been wrong with that £60 price it was a few weeks ago and I have a memory like a sieve,
but yes the Sb-40 is the model I got
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265865
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 pm

Well, after finally getting my Bongo back after the rear arches being re-built, I went to fit the stereo. I've found that the Sony has a different fitting to the Pioneer. I guess I'll need this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-10-4-MAZD ... 257276c9ab to adapt my '95 Bongo loom to what I guess is an ISO plug on the Pioneer stereo.
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26 pm

This is the rear of the Pioneer DEH-1320MP. Can anybody confirm if it's an ISO connection? It looks a bit different to the fitting on the e-bay image.

I now wonder whether this is what I need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-ISO-W ... 3ca63bb1f5

Edit again - after more searching, I think I'll need a Mazda to ISO converter and a Pioneer 16 pin to ISO converter!

There was me thinking this'd be simple!

Ta
Beyond A to B
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 pm

That doesn't look like an ISO to me! I suspect that is Pioneers own socket from the manual;
Normally they there are two 8 pin connectors arranged as 2x4 with a polarising tab to the sides;
Yup I suspect you will need both for that device ....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did a further inspection of the wiring and have traced what's currently there back to the original Mazda loom. There appears to be a Mazda - ISO converter in place (then what I presume is an ISO-Sony converter), so I've just ordered the ISO - Pioneer converter. Fingers crossed!
Beyond A to B
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

your right you just need a power lead specific to the head unit/manufacturer, iirc sony power leads are about £3 from fleabay and widely available

Julian
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Turns out that wasn't quite the correct wiring adapter! How many blooming variants are there for a Pioneer stereo! There is a complete lack of clarity as to which adapter is required, which is surprising.

I think a trip to Halfrauds is in order sadly.
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Halfrauds came up trumps with some great customer service. They refunded the Pioneer for a Sony costing a few £ more, but that fitted straight into the current set up (without having to take out the cage or exchange any section of the loom).

Moral of the story - keep it simple - if you have Sony stereo already, keep it Sony if you're going to replace it!
Beyond A to B

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”