Bike racks

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Snoozie
Bongolier

Bike racks

Post by Snoozie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi guys. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere - I didn't find it in a search.
Is there such a thing as a bicycle rack that fits to the back of the Bongo and allows you to still open the tail gate? Only need to carry 1 bike, or 2 at the most
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Bike racks

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 am

Some views here of the Fiamma and Thule racks. As you don't have a spoiler, you could use either without any worries :wink:
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 am

Snoozie wrote:Hi guys. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere - I didn't find it in a search.
Is there such a thing as a bicycle rack that fits to the back of the Bongo and allows you to still open the tail gate? Only need to carry 1 bike, or 2 at the most

As 'Muzorewa' says you can fit quite easily either the Thule or Fiamma where no spoiler is fitted, however in response to your question, ie; opening lid with rack attached, to accommodate the extra weight you really should think about changing the lid's gas struts to uprated ones 8)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I have a thule 974 bike rack with takes four adult bikes and tilts to allow the tail gate to be opened, cracking thing it is too.
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks guys for your helpful replies 8)

Hi Muz Image- I had a feeling I saw a bike rack on yours in N.Wales so thought you might have some advice :wink: Useful pics in your link.
Is that last one near the Causeway to Lindisfarne by any chance? It looked a bit familiar to me.

I think it highly unlikely I would put more than one bike on it, so wonder if I would still need upgraded gas struts, mentaliss?

Bit of a dilemma really. My cousin kindly gave me a bike she didn't use. It needs new tyres and I could do with wider ones if they will fit on between the forks. They offered me a bike rack too but it needed a tow bar to fit on to and would prevent the tail gate from opening so I declined that offer. Seemed like a great idea to take the bike at the time, until I twigged I will have to keep it in my hall and squeeze past the handlebars daily. By the time I have had the bike fixed up and bought a bike rack I reckon I would be better trading it in and buying a folding bike to go inside! :lol: They might be offended though if I turn up next time with a different bike!
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:48 am

Snoozie wrote: Is that last one near the Causeway to Lindisfarne by any chance? It looked a bit familiar to me.
Correct for two points :wink:
TerryG
Bongolier

Post by TerryG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:23 pm

I've just fitted the Avenir Vermont 3 bike rack and it's a dead easy fit with the spoiler in place, and doesn't impede the tailgate.
A big advantage for me - seen as a disadvantage by some - is that it can be easily removed.
You can find them for about £110 online.
Highly recommended.
'Enjoy every sandwich'
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Saris Bones 2-bike rack

Just bumping this old thread of mine.
I haven't yet got around to buying a bike rack but now that Spring is finally on the way, it's back on my radar again.
I noted all the recommendations above in my little book of useful things (thanks guys :D ), but wondered if anyone has fitted a Saris Bones bike rack to their Bongo? I think the 'arms', or at least the bike-carrying extension can be moved to different positions, for a car or perhaps a tailgate.

I hadn't heard of them until recently, but they look interesting and fold up small for storage. I have no garden or shed for storing stuff.
Would love to hear if anyone has one on a Bongo, or knows anything about them - pros and cons etc. Cons being for e.g. perhaps when fitted the number plate doesn't show properly or well enough to be legal ??
Thanks for any feedback. 8)
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Just bumping this thread up again as I'm also interested in whether the Saris Bones rack will work with the Bongo. Has anyone tried it yet?

We already have a Thule rack which stays on permanently, but it stops the tailgate from staying up and undoubtedly reduces the fuel economy, so I was wondering if the Bones would fit. We have one for the car and it's a great rack but I don't want to remove the Thule from the Bongo (as it was such a faff to fit) if I'll just have to put it back on again.

Cheers.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:07 pm

We have thule rack and upgraded gass struts http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm sure I saw a picture of a Bongo with the Saris Bones fitted when I was looking into this a while back.
Here's another one I found-
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... CN0664.jpg
Jerzy
Bongonaut

Post by Jerzy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Two bits of split 32mm waste pipe for the tailgate (c) Dave Aber ;)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 am

Got my bike rack mixed up in my earlier post lol, it is the Thule 9708, tow bar fitted, tilts to allow tailgate to open with bikes on too.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

Tony x wrote:I'm sure I saw a picture of a Bongo with the Saris Bones fitted when I was looking into this a while back.
Here's another one I found-
http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... CN0664.jpg
That is one hell of a spoiler in the pic!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
dans_t16s
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by dans_t16s » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Snoozie wrote:Saris Bones 2-bike rack

...but wondered if anyone has fitted a Saris Bones bike rack to their Bongo?

I use a Saris Bones on my Bongo. Top straps fit under the spoiler, side and lower straps fit around the tailgate allowing the tailgate to open okay with rack still fitted. Bottom feet fit nicely into the number plate recess.

Mine is the Saris Bones 3 bike rack, but the mountings are the same.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”