Replaced my lights today heres the new look

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Replaced my lights today heres the new look

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 am

Hi
The lights carry EU regulations approval, so you should have no problem if Canada accepts that, however, the sidelights will be the Mazda ones which carry no markings, and if you modify the sidelights as I am doing, by moulding clear perspex over a cast of the Mazda lights, then they will carry no markings, either...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
thehoffmanian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehoffmanian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm

that helps,

if you get a chance it would be great to see more close up pics of how you are making this all work,

thanks again
thehoffmanian
BC / Canada / 96 Friendee
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 am

Hi
I have the lights in, but won't have pics of the sidelights as yet, as I have the formers for the new lenses made, and did a trial run at bending perspex over one of the formers, but I need thinner perspex. I'll try to get that next week, and then cut the rear of the units out with a hot knife, having cut the old lenses off the front with said knife and a micro-saw, to enable the Astra lights suitably cut down to insert from the front and seal the unit with the new plastic lens.
I should be on the case from next Saturday , as I hope to pick up perspex next wednesday.
The perspex I tried was 3mm, and only really suitable to heat up in the oven for moulding,but as Tony is chief Chef, i got warned off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , so back to the digital heat gun....at various temperatures until pliable :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like a lot of phaffing, but it's probably easier than it sounds...BUT if you just want to fit the old sidelights from the Bongo, that'll work!...
So far I can only show the headlights as installed if that's enough!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
thehoffmanian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehoffmanian » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

I am mainly interested in seeing the headlights installed for now - I may or may not do the side lights - I wanted to see how it looked first
thehoffmanian
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi
O.K.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning, and get them up on here
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Hoffmanian
Here's some snaps of the lights on the Bongo:

There is room to adjust the lights up and down, vertically, but installation regarding height is only there at the moment for function, and all tidying is to do later. The tidying will be next week, and I have to order some parts from the UK to tidy the wiring nest next week. I can do underbonnet pics. if you require, but don't judge the work until finished...(same with the grille) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll post any pics. you need
Wiring is simple, and the Angel eyes are now the sidelights, plus don't look at the sidelights too hard, as they are a bit frosted after i've moulded from them, but the lenses will be removed, and the lights modified at the rear!
There is a small gap at the sidelights, which I shall be rectifying when I fit the modded sidelights, however, I can give you tips on how to reduce that to zero with the original lights. My installation will look different again as I raise the lights in the final installation, as there are further touches to come!
Any help?
Cheers
Helen
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am

<likes>
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
thehoffmanian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehoffmanian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Thanks for showing these,

they do help, I am looking forward to seeing the full project when you are done, but the look is clean and modern. The lights do look slightly low as you mentioned and maybe even a bit behind the grill. Would you adjust the grill also or will fit change slightly when you get the side markers in. Overall I think this is a cool solution.

cheers from Canada Eh.
thehoffmanian
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi
Plan is to chop the grille, and raise the lights, and i shan't know full details until i've trimmed the sidelights...which should continue the chrome look across to the edge. Not entirely sure on the edge of the grille, yet, and it rather depends on whether i get too carried away with the chopping :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll put more pics up soon
Cheers
Helen
swing
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by swing » Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am

thehoffmanian wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 am Great posts on the headlights, I am a new owner in Canada and I would like to do something like this to mine ---- will these lights fit most Bongos, mine is a 1996.

I need to get the lights DOT approved, I think it would be similar to MOT, adjust-ability is the main issue I think, which these lights seem to solve.
I am a new owner in Canada too. I need to get all light DOT approved. Can you let me know which Dot light will fit my Bongo.

Thanks a lot!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi. 8)

From memory I've an idea lights from a lhd Vauxhall Astra will fit.

A search for that may get a result, put 'And' between search words. :wink:
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi i know this is a bit of an old post but will these lights be able to fit on the bongo post 99 shape as its the only thing we need to get done to be able to get the bongo registered in france? [-o< if not does anyone have any other "bright" ideas :idea: (scuse the pun) of lights that vould work? I've heard about bmw ones but i dont know which model, and also seat ibiza ones from around the same year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope someone reads this post.
Thanks in advance. kev and amelie
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun May 27, 2018 10:12 am

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 am

I'm pretty sure those small vans with the BMW look-alike grills are actualy Japanese manufactured grey imports.

There is/was a garage on the A39, from Minehead towards Bridgwater, selling them, but of course I can't recal the make. ](*,)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”