New door speakers

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

New door speakers

Post by M 80NGO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Finally found some speakers to upgrade the front door speakers with, Hats off to the guys in my local halfrauds for coming up trumps for me and getting all the 16cm speakers that they have in stock out so i could mock up to see which would fit with the least modification.

The JBL GTO628's were the closest fit and come with some very handy plastic and metal spacer discs to help lift the standard base plates off the door for the extra speaker depth. i was pleased that these were the best fit as on testing all the possabilities on their speaker wall they gave one of the best sounds and had £20 off them from £70 to £50

Next up was door panel removal which is very easy to do to expose the cheap 16 year old factory speakers

Once the speaker base was removed and origional speaker unscrewed and unstuck it was on with the adapter plates and in with the new speakers, i had to make a small plug n play wiring adapter for each side so that i didn't have to butcher the origional mazda wiring.

Last job was to trim the inside of the speaker grill with a stanley knife to stop them fouling the new speakers
Then refit the door panels and get cleared up took about an hour a side to do and the hardest thing about the whole job was refitting the plastic clips on the inner doorhandles :D
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Re: New door speakers

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Nice job! =D> =D> =D> How's she sound now? 8)
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:01 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:Nice job! =D> =D> =D> How's she sound now? 8)

A whole lot better than it was before, i have 5x7's for the rear and a new head unit on my chrimbo list, i want a bluetooth unit so that i can answer my phone through the sound system, maybe even double din if i've been a very good boy this year [-o<
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 am

Ive just done the same, but used FLI 16.5 cm speakers, similar process to fit, just had to drill some new mounting holes in the original mounts to line them up, much improved sound, just need to fit the amp in the front now.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Alphonse

Post by Alphonse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi M 8ongo

Against the advice my wife. I've tried to copy your instructions above. She generally prefers me to leave things well alone.

I've bought the JBL GT0628's but am making a right old mess of putting them in the door.

If I try and use the metal adapter plates there's not enough depth, as the back of the speaker hits the bolt that holds the window runner in place.

If I use the plastic adapter plates (which I've now modified to remove the large bits that stick out on the side) then there's way too much depth to get the door skin back on. I've cut away all of the excess plastic on the back of the factory fit speaker cover as shown.

Did you encounter either of these issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's cold in the doghouse at this time of year!

Thanks

Rob
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Alphonse wrote:Hi M 8ongo

Against the advice my wife. I've tried to copy your instructions above. She generally prefers me to leave things well alone.

I've bought the JBL GT0628's but am making a right old mess of putting them in the door.

If I try and use the metal adapter plates there's not enough depth, as the back of the speaker hits the bolt that holds the window runner in place.

If I use the plastic adapter plates (which I've now modified to remove the large bits that stick out on the side) then there's way too much depth to get the door skin back on. I've cut away all of the excess plastic on the back of the factory fit speaker cover as shown.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's cold in the doghouse at this time of year!

Thanks

Rob

Hi rob, i only used the plastic rings when i done mine, i'm 99% sure that the rings went under the origional speaker pod and 3 of the 4 holes lined up then i offered up the new speakers to the origional pod and screwed them into place tho i do seem to remember that for some reason if i turned the speaker in the housing then there was a certain position that seemed to fit better and get the speaker flusher to the pod thus giving a few extra mm clearance with the door skin, then i trimmed the inner speaker grill on the door cars and yes its a close fit but it all went back together ok, have you made some 10cm wiring extensions that plug straight into the mazda loom so that you can get the speakers in the correct position and not be restricted by the length of origional wiring ? if your really stuck i can whip my doorcard off and take some close up pics to e-mail to ya :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Just bought a pair of JBL's based on this thread, so looking forward to finding the time to fit them :)
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Just bought a pair of JBL's based on this thread, so looking forward to finding the time to fit them :)
I'll soon be able to claim royalties off of JBL :lol:
Alphonse

Post by Alphonse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:55 pm

M 80NGO wrote:
Alphonse wrote:Hi M 8ongo

Thanks

Rob

Hi rob, i only used the plastic rings when i done mine, i'm 99% sure that the rings went under the origional speaker pod and 3 of the 4 holes lined up then i offered up the new speakers to the origional pod and screwed them into place tho i do seem to remember that for some reason if i turned the speaker in the housing then there was a certain position that seemed to fit better and get the speaker flusher to the pod thus giving a few extra mm clearance with the door skin, then i trimmed the inner speaker grill on the door cars and yes its a close fit but it all went back together ok, have you made some 10cm wiring extensions that plug straight into the mazda loom so that you can get the speakers in the correct position and not be restricted by the length of origional wiring ? if your really stuck i can whip my doorcard off and take some close up pics to e-mail to ya :wink:
Thanks for the offer of taking the pics but I haven't made a wiring extension so I should really give that a try.

Also, I've been putting the plastic adapter plate on top of the speaker pod rather than under it and against the metal of the door.

I'll have another crack at it next weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm

No worries rob keep us updated, i can assure you that it does all fit it just takes a wee bit of jiggery pokery to work the problem :wink:
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm

best way to fit speakers into doors of bongo's (or any other car to give the depth) is to make a wooden adapter plate of appropriate thickness, screw that to the vehicles mounting and screw the speaker to the wood, in bongo's case you have lots of room to play

Julian
Alphonse

Post by Alphonse » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Speakers now in. Like you said M8ONGO, it all fits in after a bit of jiggery pokery. :D
M 80NGO
Supreme Being

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Alphonse wrote:Thanks all for the advice. Speakers now in. Like you said M8ONGO, it all fits in after a bit of jiggery pokery. :D

Hurrahhhhhh, No longer in the dog house =D> Good job too as its getting damn cold out there, bet you've got that warm feeling of achievement going on haven't ya ? ya wee luttle scamp :D

Can't beat a bit of jiggery pokery :wink:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, i started my GT0628 speaker installation today....

Rain slowed & even stopped progress today... Then it got dark.. :roll: But so far..
& reminding me of the Sci Fi program Stargate.. Getting it all to fit the right way round..

Both the original Mazda stock speaker pods are the same way round.. Not mirrored...

I fitted the metal plate that came with the speakers to securely fit the cones to the pod.

Using the original speaker screws off the Mazzy paper cone jobs i drilled a hole for the final self tapping screw.

The instructions are somewhat unclear using pictorial information & nothing else...?!!
So i used soft rubber tape thus... to stop the speaker rattling against the plate its screwed to...

I'd like to ad the tweeter cone is on a slight angle but does rotate for the direction!

I added a wire extension off the speaker terminal before fitting...

But then short of connectors at the other end for the loom connector block. :oops: :oops:

I had a brainwave..... :mrgreen: :idea:

I'd screwed one of the old speakers anyway when de-glueing it from the pod, so i decided to use the original male connector block... Just bend the metal tabs apart top & bottom.

& used it on the new speaker....

Tomorrow... Hopefully, i will finish the fitting....
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

What an improvement...! 8) Thanks to M 80NGO's tips i had these in without too much fuss.. (apart from dodging the atrocious weather.) :roll: These speakers it seems can handle a fair bit of driving compared to the Mazda ones.. Which is what i expect from JBL. Should have done this ages ago.... Well happy with my sound now.. Nice find .. =D> :mrgreen:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”