Removing Decals

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

KJC

Removing Decals

Post by KJC » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am

Hi, I'm a newbie to all this. I have just got my first Bongo and am full of enthusiasm to do it up a bit.
Some of the decals are faded and falling apart and I would love to get some new ones and one for the roof.
Is it easy to remove them? If so how do you do it?

Cheers! :D
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Re: Removing Decals

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 am

Welcome KJC Have a search for cabte he's your man :D
Keep the Faith

TerryG
Bongolier

Post by TerryG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 am

KJC wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie to all this. I have just got my first Bongo and am full of enthusiasm to do it up a bit.
Some of the decals are faded and falling apart and I would love to get some new ones and one for the roof.
Is it easy to remove them? If so how do you do it?

Cheers! :D

Removing them is a bl**dy nightmare! Use a hairdryer to melt and remove the decals bit by bit, then petrol to remove the adhesive residue. I tried several different solvents but petrol was the one that worked. Be under no illusions - if your decals have been on for a long time it is a long, laborious and boring process!
'Enjoy every sandwich'
Tony C
Bongolier

Post by Tony C » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:35 am

Removed mine with a wallpaper steamer, took about one hour to remove the lot, it removed the decals & glue in one hit but it has to be really hot to do this.
I did mask the edges of the old decals carefully with tin foil to protect the paint work from the heat, the paint will bloom if the steam catches it.
Any odd spots that did bloom I gave a gentle rub with T cut, then a good polish, in all the job took about four hours & it now looks a treat.

Cheers Tony.
I intend to live forever - so far, so good!
KJC

Post by KJC » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the advice.
We borrowed a steam cleaner to spruce up the interior so may give this a try on the decals.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers! :)
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 am

Hey hey, another Bongo in Bath... 8) Sorry i can't help with the decal removal.. (Mine was sticker-less when i got it.)

No doubt see you about the town!! :mrgreen: (Or city..! Forgot the abbey...) #-o :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 am

What I don't know I Google for ..

AQVAE CALIDAE. Romano-British Spa Town Romano-British Temple Precinct. Bath, Avon ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
pamannec
Bongonaut

Post by pamannec » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I did mine with a hair dryer and then used a Mr Mucle airesol oven cleaner and scraped it off with a credit card. Worked really well.(read it on here somewhere) Didn't try to remove the roof ones though as I heard they were more difficult.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 pm

NIGHTMARE JOB!!!! - we managed to get on off last year which took ages but the other one wouldnt budge at all so now driving round with one aft sticker :x . will have another go this year though as im determined betty will be sticker free! good luck :wink:
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 pm

I used the hair dryer method to remove the plastic, then i used Surgical Alcohol to remove the glue ( 80p a bottle from the chemist) brilliant stuff, and you can drink whats left!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 am

if you wnt i done quick and dont mind a mess use a toffee wheel, just dont put to much pressure on it
and buy a couple,
if you not botherd about time hairdryer, blunt stanly blade, and petrol, and paitiant

but to be honest little bit cold for the hairdryer bit, u will find it a loosing battle,
as quick as your heating it up its cold.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 pm

cabte wrote:if you wnt i done quick and dont mind a mess use a toffee wheel, just dont put to much pressure on it
and buy a couple,
if you not botherd about time hairdryer, blunt stanly blade, and petrol, and paitiant

but to be honest little bit cold for the hairdryer bit, u will find it a loosing battle,
is a toffee wheel something that goes on a drill bit - im imaging it as a spinning sander thing? and is it something that you have to practise a bit to get it right??
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 am

8etty 8ongo wrote:
cabte wrote:if you wnt i done quick and dont mind a mess use a toffee wheel, just dont put to much pressure on it
and buy a couple,

is a toffee wheel something that goes on a drill bit - im imaging it as a spinning sander thing? and is it something that you have to practise a bit to get it right??

Its a round block of rubber that goes on a drill,
I wouldnt say you had to practice it wont do any damage to the paint unless you put to much pressure on, but they are quick, and remove all the glue at the same time.
They do wear down quit quickly, so having a couple is a must.
Depending on the size of job.

I have video of me using a toffee wheel removing some stripes on a bongo i will try put it up for everyone.
Last edited by cabte on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 am

+1 for the toffee wheel / caramel wheel. Defo the way to go.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Had a quick try with one, was very careful, but it still took paint straight off :? Sort of a light toffee brown, rubber wheel?

Derek

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”