Fitting Cruise Control.......

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Cyrill Sneer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fitting Cruise Control.......

Post by Cyrill Sneer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Being a new Bongo owner and user of the forum I have decided to install a Audiovox CC system to my Bongo. Would somebody be able to point me in the right direction as to where the 'VSS' and also the 'Tach' connection locations are? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

David
David
srs41

Re: Fitting Cruise Control.......

Post by srs41 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm

you dont need the tacho connection , & the VSS is taken from the blue/white wire which feeds the speedo pos on the rear of the dash , if memory serves me right when you sit in the drivers seat & look at the rear of the dash it is the right hand plug & 3rd or 4th wire from the left , also set you PPM to 8000 , hope this helps .
Cyrill Sneer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cyrill Sneer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Thank you for the advice srs41. I am going to hopefully have a go this weekend!
David
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Theres posts on here from Simon (and myself) about fitting the Waeco with lots of detail about the wiring... search is your friend!
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...
miker

Post by miker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 pm

where did you get the cc system from please?
Benjymac

Post by Benjymac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi all,

Considering fitting cruise control and see a lot of peopl seemed to have fitted the Waeco 50 Model. Can anyone tell me whether this model

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAECO-MagicSpeed- ... 1|294%3A50

will work on a 1995 Ford Freda. If the answer is yes am I actually gaining anything with thi model over the cheaper Waeco 50.

Many thanks

Benj
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Benjymac wrote:Hi all,

Considering fitting cruise control and see a lot of peopl seemed to have fitted the Waeco 50 Model. Can anyone tell me whether this model

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WAECO-MagicSpeed- ... 1|294%3A50

will work on a 1995 Ford Freda. If the answer is yes am I actually gaining anything with thi model over the cheaper Waeco 50.

Many thanks

Benj

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waeco-magic-speed ... 7C294%3A50

This is cheaper :) :) :) :)
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
Benjymac

Post by Benjymac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Thanks for the response Lizard.

I was wondering though if there are any benefits of buying the 300 model (if it would indeed work with my Ford Freda).

Regards

Benj
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Simon Jones has a great set of info on the Waceo 50.

Mine works great at the moment, spiffing on a long run, nice bit of kit. I have no idea of the other type.

Why re-invent the wheel when Simon has done it for you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry phedders, I haven't seen yours. :(
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:42 am

The 300 seems to be exactly the same as the 50 except for the control pad which is the later model - no extra functions just looks different.

I can't see that you gain anything for the extra cash, other than a (possibly) better looking control pad as the rest of the bits look just the same.
kelv

Post by kelv » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

I wouldn't fit cruise control to the Bongo personally because the brakes are only average.
Now, before all the rose tinteds jump on the bandwagon, it's a well cited fact on this forum that the Bongo brakes are "average".

I use cruise control on the Peugeot , which is the "day" car, and the braking power is required quickly sometimes.
The Bongo wouldn't perform the same.
Possibly, the only useful reasn for cruise control on the Bongo would be to sit you at 40mph through some dual carrigeway roadworks, and even then I would recommend a very large gap in front.

Just a personal view, no right view, no wrong view.
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 pm

I have the same unit that SJ fitted (Waeco 50) - on his recommendation - I got it from an ebay etailer in Germany.

Very pleased with it - and love to use it.

There was at the time a more expensive unit that had 3 memory buttons so you could for example preset them at 40 50 and 70 mph. In hindsight... would love to have got that one - but I really have no idea how useful that would be in the real world...
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:08 am

phedders wrote:I have the same unit that SJ fitted (Waeco 50) - on his recommendation - I got it from an ebay etailer in Germany.

Very pleased with it - and love to use it.
I can do no more than heartily second this.

IMHO Fitting cruise control to a Bongo is without doubt the single most useful mod you can do.

And I can't for the life of me see any reason why Bongo brakes (well properly maintained ones in good condition) are in any way inadequate for use with cruise control.

Just a personal view, no right view, no wrong view..................
kelv

Post by kelv » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:10 am

And I can't for the life of me see any reason why Bongo brakes (well properly maintained ones in good condition) are in any way inadequate for use with cruise control. [/quote scanner]

In that case, you are definitely missing something.
The fact that cruise control was not offered as a factory fit option on the standard Bongo is the first clue.
The second suggestion is to carry out some 60-0 stopping distance tests using a Bongo that has standard brakes in good condition that have been properly maintained as that may improve your understanding as to the reason why cruise control is probably not the most worthwhile mod to fit on the Bongo.
Alternatively, be happy with your existing belief that all is well and carry on regardless. :shock:

It's the very small adjustments to speed that the driver makes when not on cruise control that compensates for the cars braking ability, or lack of it.
Cruise control takes away that constant adjustment element, fine if you have an open road or a car with powerful brakes, but that does't sound like a description of the Bongo blatting up the A14 on a Friday afternoon.
Of course many people use cruise control on the Bongo just fine and have not suffered any problems.
That's great.
Many people also drive around without a low coolant alarm and never have any problems too.
Maybe it's not a question of "if" but a question of "when".

The Waeco unit , as a unit works very well on vehicles that are up to par and I wouldn't hesitate to fit it to a suitable vehicle .
Just, not to a Bongo :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:02 am

kelv wrote:I wouldn't fit cruise control to the Bongo personally because the brakes are only average.
Now, before all the rose tinteds jump on the bandwagon, it's a well cited fact on this forum that the Bongo brakes are "average".

I use cruise control on the Peugeot , which is the "day" car, and the braking power is required quickly sometimes.
The Bongo wouldn't perform the same.
Possibly, the only useful reasn for cruise control on the Bongo would be to sit you at 40mph through some dual carrigeway roadworks, and even then I would recommend a very large gap in front.

Just a personal view, no right view, no wrong view.
Is it? I can recall one member recently rationalising over an accident by assessing the Bongos brakes as disappointing (or was it traction that let them down?). But people do tend to feel that way after an accident where they ran into someone. I can't recall sufficient other complaints to make a claim of 'well cited', though my memory is admittedly poor.

For what's its worth I think the problem may be that peeps perceive them as average compared to a normal car. I don't think they are bad at all considering what the Bongo is (they compare favourably with many cars driven by an old fogey like me, thats for sure!). I had a little (not serious) brake fade at the bottom of a Yorkshire Dales steep hill after going up and down lots of steep ones fully loaded for an hour or so. Frankly, you have to make sensible use of the HOLD button and the S1 position to allow the considerable engine braking power of the Bongo to take some strain off the brakes. That's just good driving, as is understanding the limits of any vehicle and learning to drive within them. But for ordinary emergency stops, I've found the brakes are better than the road grip by a safe amount. The Bongo is bigger than the average car and needs to be driven with a sense of responsibility to match.

You seem unusually down on Bongos just now kelv. Maybe time to sell? The world seems to want them so you should get a reasonable price provided its in good nick.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”