Sun Damage on rear plastic

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Jahonnay
Apprentice Bongonaut

Sun Damage on rear plastic

Post by Jahonnay » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of the Bongo and these forums so apologies if this is something that has been asked or answered before.

On the back door/tailgate of my 1995 Grey Bongo, the external plastic that surrounds the number plate (with the handles etc) seems to have been faded and mottled in spots by the sun over the 25+ year lifespan.

I have tried to find out what colour this originally was and it seems to be a grey of some sorts which explains why the back to black products I have for my other vehicles aren’t suitable for this.

Has anyone encountered this before and what did you use to refresh the plastic ?

Thanks in advance
Harv
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Sun Damage on rear plastic

Post by Harv » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:18 am

You can get various plastic dyes for cars, but they only last a season max, but I have found GTechniq's Permanent trim restorer https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto/wh ... -restorer/to do a very good job and so far lasted without any deterioration. It's not a back-to-black product so should be suitable for the part you mention.
Harvey the Pookah is no longer looked after by Richard
Jahonnay
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Sun Damage on rear plastic

Post by Jahonnay » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

Thanks very much will give it a go.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”