Starbrite Mould Remover For Top Tent

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Telekom
Junior Bongonaut

Starbrite Mould Remover For Top Tent

Post by Telekom » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:06 am

Hi
Has anybody used Starbrite to clean mildew from the tent of their AFT? See video and link below. Keen to know if anyone had any problems or good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HfjFvZy5E

http://www.starbrite.com/item/mildew-stain-remover

Mark
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Starbrite Mould Remover For Top Tent

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Responding to a rather old post here I know...I use it. It does smell a lot like diluted bleach to me. It is expesnive and does the job well and fast and is why I still use it and it is supposedly safe on fabrics according to the label. It is now called black stain remover just for info value.

"The special buffered-bleach formula will not harm vinyl upholstery or threads."

Whatever that means.

Just did ours in fact... the mould seemed a little worse than last year.... the damp spring I guess.

The starbrite just makes it vanish, a little scrub with a rubber glove on and some tissues to soak up any excess and it is gone. Not esactl a chepa bottle of fluid but it does work well.

I do use various dessicants to draw the moisture out in winter but they only help a bit and do not stop mould from forming. It was not a huge amount, the usual black spot and more patchy in places than others significant mould at the very back short vertical section of the tent.

Not that the tent will be getting much use this year by the looks of things.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:23 am

The starbrite just makes it vanish, a little scrub with a rubber glove on and some tissues to soak up any excess and it is gone. Not esactl a chepa bottle of fluid but it does work well.

I was using this stuff today. When you scrub it in a bit it kinda turns to foam. Did you dry the foam right after scrubbing it in or did you let it dry into the fabric?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am

Startbrite is bleach, its best to wash it off after use and then allow the fabric to dry. The bleach will after continued use over the years weaken the cotton fibres which will lead to weak material that splits and tears after several years.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 am

Ah Ok, It said on the instructions not to rinse it until the stain disappears. I just left it on overnight.

There'll probably be a big hole in my awning when I check it :o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 am

Yes let it clear the mould first then once its done its job wash it off before leaving it to dry otherwise the bleach crystals will be left imbedded in the cotton destroying it over time.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:23 am

Ok thanks g8dhe,
I rinsed it off with a wet sponge the next morning but I'm still not happy with the results as it's a bit blotchy.
I'm just after reapplying some more just to even it out.

I'll get ye a few before and after pictures
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Ok I'm after uploading a few progress pictures here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77739226@N07/

You need to be very careful with this stuff as it can damage your awning (especially if you scrub it in)

I've been a lot more careful this time and applied it sparingly.

I pretty much lathered in on the first time and scrubbed it in when I wasn't seeing results fast enough :? #-o

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”