Bongos in the Philippines

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

Expat PI
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongos in the Philippines

Post by Expat PI » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi Everyone, expat living in the Philippines here, I'm just about to buy a Ford Freda 2.5 Dsl and happened upon this site while attempting to educate myself on the pros and cons!

Delighted to have found it and look forward to sharing any pertinent info.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Bongos in the Philippines

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum! According to our records there are (or were) 3 other Bongonauts in the Phillippines. One in Pangasinan, one in Pasig City. One one (the police chief!) in Tarlac City.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Very warm welcome to BF. :D

Do have a look at the videos on bleeding the cooling system, you'll likely need to learn how to DIY it. 8)
Expat PI
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Expat PI » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, interesting that there's 3 others in the Philippines, isn't the world an increasingly small place!

I'm not entirely sure if I'm looking forward to owning a 4 wheeled vehicle again; for years now I've had a variety of bikes and a trike, but a growing family forces me to reconsider my options, wet season is here now and keeping the kids dry while taking them to school is a priority.

Diesel right now is PHP25/litre, that's around 1.90 sterling per gallon, so a diesel vehicle was a no brainer!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:58 am

Welcome. I seem to recall a Philippines owner on here many years back saying the government offered motorists subsidised coconut oil for running diesel engines on. Can this be true!?!
Expat PI
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Expat PI » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:18 am

Anythings possible in the Philippines, but I've never heard of it!

Perhaps in some remote provincial area, where coconuts were grown on an industrial level...... they use every part of the coconut for something, indeed Copra, oil obtained by pressing some part of it is big business out in the boondocks, generally used as a fuel for paraffin type lamps.

I live in the city, the only concession regarding fuel that I've noticed is slightly cheaper diesel at some forecourts specifically for PUVs, or jeepneys as they're better known.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:09 am

Expat PI wrote:Anythings possible in the Philippines, but I've never heard of it!

Perhaps in some remote provincial area, where coconuts were grown on an industrial level...... they use every part of the coconut for something, indeed Copra, oil obtained by pressing some part of it is big business out in the boondocks, generally used as a fuel for paraffin type lamps.

I live in the city, the only concession regarding fuel that I've noticed is slightly cheaper diesel at some forecourts specifically for PUVs, or jeepneys as they're better known.
I seem to recall this guy was head of the police or some such eminent sounding title.

Googling 'coconut oil fuel plan philippines' brings up some interesting returns. Could be interesting to see if blending coconut oil with diesel might give cheaper running. People here have happily blended rapeseed oil with diesel for running Bongos. Issues to watch are ensuring oil is thin/runny enough and any adverse effect it might have on pump seals and scouring of fuel lines resulting in fuel filter blockage, though i never had a problem running 25% rapeseed oil. Mind you, at £1.90 per gallon why bother, and maybe diesel suppliers are already blending it locally:

http://www.pesoreserve.com/2013/09/phil ... l.html?m=1

Return to “International”