Trip of my Life - Driving Round the South Island

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Trip of my Life - Driving Round the South Island

Post by helen&tony » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi
Oh...I don't know.....the roads look good, and it beats the crap out of driving here!.....It's more boring when it takes over half an hour to do a 16 Km journey dodging craters in the road....and the rest of the scenery sounds rather enticing!...I'd swap , any day....AND there's an unusual sight as you pass the guys in the cherry-picker....they're WORKING...it doesn't happen here!...It takes around 3 vehicles , and 7 men to do that here....and half a day to do the job!....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 am

scanner wrote:
BuddyBongo wrote:Wow, I've never heard anyone say the drive to Milford is boring before :shock: . I went to Milford quite a few times when I lived in Queenstown and I thought it was amazing each and every time. I can only assume you were driving Scanner and didn't get to see the full extent of the scenery.

Don't get me wrong the North Island is amazing too, maybe I'm just spoiled... Anyway, horses for courses, each to their own and all that....... to put it all into context there are some people that prefer Australia!! :lol: :wink:
Not the whole drive just the bottom bit of the "U" across the plains. From Te Anau north into Milford is beautiful - but as for the bottom bit after you have seen 20 dairy farms the next 200 don't do anything for you. It could also be the straightness of the road, when you can see the next half an hour of driving straight out ahead of you the ennui can set in. I'm sure it's a reason for some head on smashes (we saw a couple) the temptation to do something to break the boredom must be huge. When roads are that empty how on earth do you manage to hit the only thing to come the other way in the last 10 minutes?

Like this... http://goo.gl/maps/OMWsm just having some mountains in the distance doesn't make it "scenery".
Hahaha, ah man you're hilarious Scanner :roll: there's no pleasing some folk.
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:45 pm

That bit is like the Fens, but without the charisma. The only thing worth seeing there are the monster hedge trimmers.
If I want a flat straight road with farms on each side I can drive from Spalding to Boston.

However - North from Te Anau is a different matter.

If you want scenery try the coast road south from Raglan toward Waitomo Caves.
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:08 am

scanner wrote:If you want scenery try the coast road south from Raglan toward Waitomo Caves.

Looks pretty similar to me :) - https://goo.gl/maps/rFTLJ

Wanaka > Haast = Best. Scenery. Ever.
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"

Return to “International”