Friendee in Canada, eh !

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Friendee in Canada, eh !

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 pm

I would agree with all the positive comments about Bongos.

My point is simply that a right hand drive vehicle with its only sliding door on the wrong side would not be my choice if I lived in Canada. My memory of driving in Canada is that everyone parks in the same direction as the traffic flow. In Britain we are used to haphazard parking on the wrong side of the road, night and day. In many other countries this is not tolerated.

Similarly, even leaving out the issue of where the driver sits, I would find owning an 'American Van' in the UK problematic due to them not generally having sliding doors on either side.

There is a fairly new American sourced ambulance in Tobago (same side of the road as UK). When I see it I wonder if it was bought with arriving from the other end of an accident blocked road in mind. I am sure that there is probably a more interesting story behind its purchase (in an island where the government were persuaded to buy an incredibly expensive airship).

Enjoy the Bongo, Mr William but please take care how you get in and out of the sliding door in busy streets!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Diplomat wrote:I would agree with all the positive comments about Bongos.

My point is simply that a right hand drive vehicle with its only sliding door on the wrong side would not be my choice if I lived in Canada. My memory of driving in Canada is that everyone parks in the same direction as the traffic flow. In Britain we are used to haphazard parking on the wrong side of the road, night and day. In many other countries this is not tolerated.

Similarly, even leaving out the issue of where the driver sits, I would find owning an 'American Van' in the UK problematic due to them not generally having sliding doors on either side.

There is a fairly new American sourced ambulance in Tobago (same side of the road as UK). When I see it I wonder if it was bought with arriving from the other end of an accident blocked road in mind. I am sure that there is probably a more interesting story behind its purchase (in an island where the government were persuaded to buy an incredibly expensive airship).

Enjoy the Bongo, Mr William but please take care how you get in and out of the sliding door in busy streets!

Frank

But what about New Zealand?
hershambongo

Post by hershambongo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Mr.William wrote:
the janner vanner wrote:Hi, where in Canada are you? Have you waxoiled your new pride and joy yet? Knowing the Toronto area and Ontario the Canadains use fast amounts of salt on their roads in those long winter months. My daughter has lived there for 8 years and is married to a local, she hates the winter, but love conquers all.
Oh! by the way, nice looking Bongo, I bet it's a croud puller. I can imagine all the questions, you'll have to get a sign writter to do what's on theside of my Bongo. Then they will know what vehicle it is.

I've tried to encourage my son in law to import one for his family, now that my daughter is not far from giving birth to their third child. He's not into cars, they just get him from a to b. And being a typicle Americian he has to have it from new. Americian as of the continent. Don't want to offend any Canadians.

all the best in your quest for parts
I'm west in Alberta actually. Once winter hits, I'll do some paint and undercarriage protection. We don;t get it as bad as Ontario though...
Any where near Buck Lake ? ( fantastic place ) Lots of beers at the Buck Lake bar !! Been there done it !!!!!! :lol:
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 pm

scanner wrote: But what about New Zealand?
No problem. New Zealand drives on the same side as Japan and UK. They park in the same sense as the traffic, so all side door loading and unloading will be safe.

Like here, there will always be a need for caution opening the driver's door so, in fact, Mr Wiiliam will at least have the bonus of getting in and out straight from the footway in Canada!

Frank
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Diplomat wrote:
scanner wrote: But what about New Zealand?
No problem. New Zealand drives on the same side as Japan and UK. They park in the same sense as the traffic, so all side door loading and unloading will be safe.

Like here, there will always be a need for caution opening the driver's door so, in fact, Mr Wiiliam will at least have the bonus of getting in and out straight from the footway in Canada!

Frank
That's what I thought...

It's why I was puzzled why you wouldn't want one there.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 pm

scanner wrote: That's what I thought...

It's why I was puzzled why you wouldn't want one there.

Ah! What I meant, Scanner was that I would have a long wheelbase VW (or something even larger) in NZ or Canada. That's because there's more room to park in those countries, unlike here where you would get nicked for overhanging a meter bay in anything much larger than a Bongo.

I've seen quite a few Bongos in NZ (Ace even rent them out) and I would have to own one just for pleasure as my runabout but not as a serious camper!

Unfortunately neither NZ nor Canada would have me as a resident with my age and low income. I have to be content with being a repeat visitor.

Frank
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Well I had a long wheelbase Hi-Ace in NZ and that certainly wasn't serious camping by any means. If I were having a Bongo as a runabout, I would go for something larger than a LWB T4/Hi-Ace and certainly something with a proper "self-contained" certificate for serious camping over there.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

scanner wrote:Well I had a long wheelbase Hi-Ace in NZ and that certainly wasn't serious camping by any means. If I were having a Bongo as a runabout, I would go for something larger than a LWB T4/Hi-Ace and certainly something with a proper "self-contained" certificate for serious camping over there.
Don't rub it in.

We don't know how unlucky we are in the UK!!!!

Frank

Return to “International”