Club Deficit

Stuff about the website, the forum and club administration.

Moderator: Ian

Ian
Supreme Being

Club Deficit

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:06 am

I reported at the AGM in June that the club now has a cumulative deficit. The final tally for the 12 months ending 31 March has now been audited at £2,833.78. Obviously we can not let this continue and we will have to either generate more revenue or cut costs.

Some members at the AGM suggested that we increase membership fees by £1 per year. With just over 2,500 members that should ease the problem. Others suggested that we could cut down on printing (newsletters, brochures, membership cards) costs which currently run at just over £5,000 per year. It was also mentioned that the rallies and meetings should be self-financing instead of cross subsidised from other activities.

I would like to propose that we do a combination of these proposals and would be interested in your views. Here is what I have in mind.

1. At the moment we have 3 categories of membership. Web (£14 per year), Webplus (where you get a newsletter in the post for £17) and Postal (£20). We can cut down on the print run of the newsletters by not having the Webplus category anymore. If people wish to receive a newsletter in the post then they have the option of going for the Postal option.
2. Web membership to be increased by £1 to £15. Postal membership to remain at £20.
3. Membership packs for new web members to be slimmed down by not sending the latest edition of the newsletter. Glossy brochures for people renewing to be discontinued. Instead they will receive a new membership card only (but see below).
4. When members renew they will be given an option of not receiving a new membership card.
5. Bongo Bash overnight fees to be increased by £1 per night to cover entertainment, marquee etc.

These changes would come in to effect from 1st January 2019. What do people think?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Club Deficit

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:22 am

Seem to recall that income hasn't covered everything just a year or two back, so given the increase in costs likely to occur over the next few years it might be prudent to make sure that any increase will cover several years RPI increase in advance maybe?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am

Proposal sounds fine to me. Geoffs point v valid though don't want to scare people off. Great cheapness of Bongo Bash plus over-demand suggest it would still be unmatchable value and well booked (and venue outclasses almost everywhere!) even if prices rise (i mean, how long is it since they last rose?).
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:57 am

Fine with me, still good value and we want the Club viable.
Damon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Damon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi,

Seems strange to increase Web membership costs, when it's the cost of Postal membership that'll be increasing year on year.

D
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:33 pm

The value of the club to me is immeasurable. If the subs go up they will be paid! Link the increase to the percentage that diesel goes up year on year. Use cost of diesel at tesco as of 1st January compared with cost last year on that day. Round the answer up or down to the nearest £. or 50p to keep the accounts straight forward.
Just my 50pence worth.
Ian G.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Damon wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:58 pm Hi,

Seems strange to increase Web membership costs, when it's the cost of Postal membership that'll be increasing year on year.

D
My thoughts exactly, but I'm guessing it is down to numbers. To get the same gross income you might need to add £10 to the postal price compared to £1 to the web price.

The only thing to be careful of with price increases is that if 1 in 15 people decide the increase makes it not worthwhile then you don't gain any money at all. You just lose members.

Rather than increasing the price, I'd be looking solely at reducing costs. We don't need a membership card, an e-mailed PDF would suffice. If people are desperate for one they could pay extra. We don't need a bong fury sticker each time, that could be an optional extra to purchase. All events should be able to support themselves perhaps with a small profit to help pay for other things, it shouldn't be subsidised. If this means higher costs to attend then that seems fair.

The club is a valuable resource but it needs to be self sufficient. We seem to be currently facing competition from Facebook groups etc.

Could we also do a few raffles etc? Other clubs that I'm a member of do regular raffles at meetings where tickets are sold and winners drawn at the end of the meeting. Could this be an option. For example one sporting club has a cake raffle, cakes are donated by the local club members and visiting club members buy tickets and win cakes, others have done the same but with donated items etc. I'm sure we could organise something where prizes are donated for an event and then tickets purchased?

How about also looking into the personalised items? I noticed that one of the traders at the bash this year was selling bongo items (drinks bottles, t-shirts etc.) I came back later with the kids to get a drinks bottle each and they were sold out. Could it be an option to get things made like this? Again a different sporting club I know gets things made by a local supplier, they make a small profit of £1 per item but it all helps.

Just a few ideas, trying to look for solutions rather than just highlighting problems.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 pm

All fine with me Ian. All valid points raised by others. I'm happy to crochet a throw for the bongo for a raffle prize!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
grey fellah
Bongonaut

Post by grey fellah » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 pm

we're fine with the increase Ian, best value for money on the planet !
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Definitely don't think that the Club should be subsidising the Entertainment at the Bash.
This cost should be covered by what we pay to go the the Bash.
Also there is no need to send a new membership card each year.
I just throw the old one away when I receive the new one, seems a waste.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for your comments. Keep them coming! I will respond to all suggestions, but not just yet!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Certainly agree entertainment shouldn't be subsidised and each Meet should be self funding.

Not sure how practical it would be to charge those who want the band, or how many wouldn't come if there was no band.

Just thoughts. :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:28 pm

marionw wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm Definitely don't think that the Club should be subsidising the Entertainment at the Bash.
This cost should be covered by what we pay to go the the Bash.
Also there is no need to send a new membership card each year.
I just throw the old one away when I receive the new one, seems a waste.
Perhaps one membership card saying "Member since 1995". However, I haven't used my membership card for discounts. Would it affect it if the card wasn't apparently current?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Insurance companies that give discounts to members require proof of current membership. Most people take a picture of their card with their phone and forward it to the company. Expiry date is best for this, hence the need for a card.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Ian wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:05 pm Insurance companies that give discounts to members require proof of current membership. Most people take a picture of their card with their phone and forward it to the company. Expiry date is best for this, hence the need for a card.
Difficult one, Ian. How about asking a member if he/she needs a card with current membership on it for discounts, and then charge a fee for providing one? That way, people like me wouldn't bother! Sounds like an admin nightmare though - a button to tick?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca

Return to “Admin & Club Matters”