Driving in Europe's low emission zones

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

fitz66
Apprentice Bongonaut

Driving in Europe's low emission zones

Post by fitz66 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the group - and I'm looking for help and advice on driving in Europe, particularly France and Italy.

I am looking to buy a Bongo, and the favourite at the minute is a 1997 2.5L diesel. I know, however, that if I get a diesel it will fall would of emissions regulations in some parts of the Continent (and the UK!)

Anyone have any advice or experience of emission zones in France and Italy? I know there are emission zones in Paris and a couple of other large French cities, but looking at Italy is seems there are lots of low emission zones in lots of communes, towns and cities, and that each place has its own rules and regulations and trying to understand them all is pretty complicated.

I'd really like to hear how other Bongo users have got on when touring in Italy. Any problems getting to campsites, for example, if there are emission zones en route? Hopefully I am over-worrying, but I wanted to check that it's worth taking a Bongo to Italy if emission rules and regs are quite tight.

It's not even clear on the 'official' sites I've been checking whether the vehicle is classed as Euro 1 or Euro 2, but in either case, for example, I'd not be able to use the Mont Blanc tunnel (or am I mistaken?) If I can't use the tunnel, what is the most Bongo-friendly way to get from France to Italy?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Driving in Europe's low emission zones

Post by Ian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

The main problem you have is that the WLT engine, which is what a diesel Bongo has, has not been tested for Euro standards. This is a problem for all "grey" imports. Therefore it will not appear on any databases for emissions standards and will be deemed as chargeable. Park and ride is the answer!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Re: Driving in Europe's low emission zones

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Just checked no sticker needed if you have blue disabled badge.

Return to “Going Abroad”