Arctic Tour - advice please

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Hercules
Junior Bongonaut

Arctic Tour - advice please

Post by Hercules » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi all,
We're getting ready for the big "off" in our 2004 Aero. We're doing a circle via, France Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia ferry to Finland up to the Arctic Circle then big south through Sweden / Norway ferry to Denmark, then Germany Holland and Belgium. There's a lot of miles....but at a very leisurely pace. Obviously any advice / recommendations would be greatly welcomed. With terrible timing, I'm going to have spend some time on-line marking GCSE papers - so any advice specifically on mobile internet access would be great. Thanks in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Arctic Tour - advice please

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Make certain service and MOT won't come due when you're away. 8)
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Sounds a brilliant trip. We drove and ferried Holland, Germany, Denmark and Norway and finally got within 20 miles off the Arctic Circle in Iceland. The mobile internet connection was cheap, efficient and accessible in Iceland but didn't get it elsewhere as you need a SIM card for each country to get good deals (I think!).
You Could always mark the exams in a cafe or bar, if necessary. :shock:
Britannia Breakdown would have got us home if we'd have had any troubles.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Lots to fit in and see! You don't say how long you're going for but if there's only a short period where you need the internet access you could always look at getting a Three sim card... they do Feel at Home and it has quite a few of the countries where you'll be on it just for their pay as you go rates (or if you buy one of their bundles). I used it when I was travelling last year, but you're only allowed 2 months and then they block you (no matter what they tell you in the shop!).

Good luck! I hope you can keep us all updated on your trip! =D>
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Hercules
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Hercules » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks folks - that's all really helpful.

We are looking at three months starting at the beginning of June. Good point on the MOT and service, we've scheduled them in for May and I'll take a look at Britannia for breakdown - thanks. The mobile internet stuff is just confusing right now because the law changes in June and it's black and white that all roaming charges are capped (at about7 Euros per month) within the EU from 17th June - but speak to any of the UK providers and they just look at you like your crazy. I think a SIM card per country is going to be the safest option....I'd kind of hoped those days were behind us.

But hey, that's swearing the small stuff, really looking forward to bongoing away for the summer.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am

Just to add we're with Britannia because they insure over 15 year old vehicles. Not an issue with your lovely 2004 Aero model :mrgreen: . You may get cheaper.
Hercules
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Hercules » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Glenda - we'll have a scout around

Return to “Going Abroad”