Off to Portugal Friday

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Glenda
Bongolier

Off to Portugal Friday

Post by Glenda » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Just checking in for another trip. Bought ferry tickets Portsmouth to Santander last month for 3 weeks in Portugal leaving in 2 days. Since then I've had an alternator blow and had it replaced with a new one plus new belt. Then had problem starting on Sunday had to replace 6 knackered spark plugs. Furthermore a spark plug well was full of oil. Took it along to G8dhe 's super mechanics and they drained it and tightened the rocker cover, whilst I cycled my road bike Worthing in the wind and rain. Great they could fit me in and they said it was nothing to worry about anyway. The third problem is a flashing Hold light with no audible or physical problem. The latter problem (A&J are happy with it) we are taking with us. Didn't have the time to get it done before the ferry and so will keep fingers crossed.

Looking forward to getting back on the road but in her 10 years of trips have never had such a palaver before. Great to know I have the back up from you lot on here!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Off to Portugal Friday

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Whereabouts in Portugal are you heading?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Sounds great, enjoy. 8)
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Is it still your V6? They do last well. You have owned that even longer than my one. Nearly nine years.

A rocker cover has recently gone on mine. Plus my first serious problem a tensioner seizing. But she survived amazingly. For a now classic car she's doing brilliantly.

Perfect time to get out of this cold wet island. Enjoy xxx
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 pm

We're heading South if weather is wet up North Muz. but would like to linger in the mountains otherwise. Any tips welcome.
NFT it is the same 1996 V6 coming up to a 10th UK Birthday. A real battle horse. Not bad for £3,800. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Fantastic Glenda. Do i remember a pic of you with the Bongo in Africa (Morocco?) many years ago? Good luck with the Portugal trip and hope gearbox behaves.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:09 am

I guess it depends whether you've previously been to the area and what kind of things interest you, and what kind of places you fancy staying overnight. There's ample wild-camping and áreas de serviço, we had no problems in August so you'll definitely be able to pitch up anywhere you like the look of.

I don't know where in Portugal you're hoping to end up but from Santander you have several options. You could make a slight detour through Burgos which would be very well recommended if you haven't been there, El Cid is buried in the cathedral. From there you could head through Salamanca towards central Portugal. Alternatively if you haven't been to Galicia before then Santiago de Compostela is a must to see where the pilgrims still end their journey, and from there into northern Portugal.

We loved that NW corner, so many sites and sights you could spend your whole time there. Of particular recommendation would be to enter Portugal on the old international bridge from Tui, not the motorway, and stop in the old fortified town of Valença do Minho, the first place in Portugal overlooking the border. Also the hilltop church of Bom Jesus do Monte near Braga with its water-balanced funicular, and one of the most photographed views in the country - the Santa Luzia Basilica in Viana do Castelo (which we didn't manage to get to, we ran out of time).

Then Barcelos has some wonderful sights, and Vila do Conde and Porto of course.

I'm sure you will have seen this but if not, http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 37&t=67347 has our script with Portugal being towards the end.

If you're planning to do wild-camping & aires, we took loads of coordinates in advance of places that would be suitable, if you need them I can fire then through to you.

Enjoy - and take photos!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:01 am

:idea: :idea: If you're sailing back from Santander too, do one way through Burgos & Salamanca and the other way through Valença do Minho & Santiago, you know it makes sense! :idea: :idea:
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 pm

That's good stuff Muz. Good report. The North is where we would like to be. The weather is bad for first few days so we will probably head to Braganca and towards Porto for first 2 days. Then stroll South as we want some decent weather. If the weather starts to settle up North we'll set off home early to get a week or so around Braga. The wife has an app. that has Aires and wild camping so we should be ok on that front. Looking forward to the trip and will report back.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 am

Back late last night. Flashing hold light survived 2,000+ Very mountainous miles. Only problem was over revving at over 65 mph but avoided motorways and all was fine at 2000 revs and 50mph Max.
Great break. Entered half way down around hill fort villages near Guarda, popped back into Spain for Alacantra and then back for Evora before hitting the Algarve. Didn't stop there for long as it was full of Brits unaware of life on the road in the Bongo. Headed up the wild Alentjan Coat to Setubal and Lisbon. Then up to Porto and the South bank of the Douro out towards Montesinho.
So mountains, rivers, lakes, cities, beaches, sand dunes, forests, castles, dams and more all used for overnight stops.
Weather rain on day 1 then a nice 18 degrees except for a very hot 35 degree day at Evora. Woke up next to a river in Northern Spain 2 days ago and remarked how it looked icy on the windscreen. Looked out the window and 2" of snow everywhere. Beautiful.
Thanks for being on stand by for help but glad we didn't need you. Next trip Norwich to see Brighton promoted to the Premier League.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am

Sounds like a great trip. Maybe now time to let Alacrity sort that gearbox properly?
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Say £300-500 for gearbox as a cheap estimate. It's due a new timing belt and new cam shaft seal. New brake discs and pads. Back door is falling apart. Seats are uncomfortable after 400-500 days sleeping on them. Rusty dents on side of roof. A/C compressor needs replacing. Heating comes on sometimes and climate control gave up a couple of years back. Rusty wheel arches. Worn out interior and carpets. Been parked by the sea for 10 years.
We have our 10th anniversary this October but I think that will be our last.We could not have asked anymore from the Bongo but it is time to say goodbye.i said this 2 years ago and you talked me out of it but our relationship is coming to an end. :cry:

Will be looking for a new one over next 6 months. If you know of a graphite grey V6 AFT 2003 onwards for sale , I want it! :D
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Glenda wrote:Say £300-500 for gearbox as a cheap estimate. It's due a new timing belt and new cam shaft seal. New brake discs and pads. Back door is falling apart. Seats are uncomfortable after 400-500 days sleeping on them. Rusty dents on side of roof. A/C compressor needs replacing. Heating comes on sometimes and climate control gave up a couple of years back. Rusty wheel arches. Worn out interior and carpets. Been parked by the sea for 10 years.
We have our 10th anniversary this October but I think that will be our last.We could not have asked anymore from the Bongo but it is time to say goodbye.i said this 2 years ago and you talked me out of it but our relationship is coming to an end. :cry:

Will be looking for a new one over next 6 months. If you know of a graphite grey V6 AFT 2003 onwards for sale , I want it! :D
I thought that on our anniversary but nah...despite changing the locks she just climbs back in through the window.
Gonna have to get a dog.
Glad to hear you are looking for another Bongo, shows your happy with them at least. 8)
:D :D

Return to “Going Abroad”