First trip abroad-95 Bongo 2.5 diesel 4WD

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

katem1303
Apprentice Bongonaut

First trip abroad-95 Bongo 2.5 diesel 4WD

Post by katem1303 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi All- I know there are older posts, but couldn't find anything more recent that's comprehensive.
I've had a real year of it with my old Bongo, but as a result now have - new radiator,pipes,water pump , cylinder head, thermostat, timing belt, exhaust,brakes and various bits of hardware and welding in the undercarriage. Proper spare wheel.. Bongospares assure me its good for 5-6 years now.
I am used to driving abroad, but not in a 'UK' old fuel thirsty vehicle. I know about the safety bits to carry for France, have full European cover/recovery, headlight masks, and dog passports. I have a blue calor gas that lasts me for months. New leisure battery, solar charger...

Tips please? what should I consider with an old Bongo (Nov 95)- have night heater and full wellhouse side conversion. Planning France/Spain Portugal- down to Algarve and back. Alone with 2 mutts.

Nothing like starting with an easy trip eh? ( Have done lots of UK miles)

thanks in advance ! Kate
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: First trip abroad-95 Bongo 2.5 diesel 4WD

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Kate.

You're planning something like we did, in a similar vehicle, ours was 4WD diesel too.

See here - http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 37&t=67347 - Top tips would be to travel light and do plenty of planning & research before you go. Also don't be complacent on the security side of things, no need to be paranoid but be vigilant.

We're only in Manchester, if you fancy a brew & a chat, we're always happy to talk Bongos & Spanish food :wink:

Return to “Going Abroad”