Overnight parking within 20 miles of Calais

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Overnight parking within 20 miles of Calais

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi, I am planning to cross the channel in August.I need somewhere to park up and unfold my campervan within 20 miles of Calais . I will be catching a very late chunnel train so expect the campsites will be locked. Any ideas?

I dont want to stop at euro cite as i will not just beparking up. I will be using the trailer tent for daughter and the sprogs.
Yours FCL
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Overnight parking within 20 miles of Calais

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 15, 2016 10:01 am

fatcatlawyer wrote:Hi, I am planning to cross the channel in August.I need somewhere to park up and unfold my campervan within 20 miles of Calais . I will be catching a very late chunnel train so expect the campsites will be locked. Any ideas?

I dont want to stop at euro cite as i will not just beparking up. I will be using the trailer tent for daughter and the sprogs.
Yours FCL
Visions of an amphibious Bongo here :lol:

But seriously, i'd want to get as far from Calais as possible before stopping? :shock:
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon May 16, 2016 9:37 am

The difficulty is that we will arrive in france around midnight and the campsites will all be shut! I have stopped at the aire just south of calais on the A16, put up the aft and had a reasonable nights sleep. However this time we will have the trailer tent and they may not be so amiable about us stopping opening the roof and the trailer. Hence my request.
Yours Ian G
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon May 16, 2016 9:42 am

Personally I'd be very reluctant to deploy a trailer tent anywhere near Calais, 20 miles is a reasonable step inland but I'd still be very reluctant. We've arrived in France at Calais, Boulogne and Dunkirk and there are undesirables all over the place. Maybe a poor night sleep in your seats and then get a proper rest the following evening would be a better (safer) option?
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri May 20, 2016 4:19 pm

Depends where you are heading for..... think you will have an issue with the Trailer tent...if you can sleep/nap in the Bongo then you could get away with it, However...I echo other sentiments about staying overnight near the ports. I was over in February to Dunkirk to head into Belgium and there was no problem in Dunkirk at Loon Plage as the undesirables are in Grand Synthe, but last year Calais was a nightmare near to the port and the tunnel. We are off in June to Le Mans again and doing Dover- Dunkirk.... on return we are in to Baie De Somme for a few hours then a straight run to Gravelines for shopping, with an 8 minute trip to Loon Plage and the port.
If you are heading down south on the A16, I'd get yourself on the Toll section after Boulogne and find the first Service station Aire and kip in the Bongo..... so probably here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aire+ ... cQ_BIIazAK and 30 miles ish from Calais...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Just been over....... no problem at Dunkirk.... bother at the Eurotunnel with delays and migrants also the Car Ferry at Calais had issues.... stopped overnight near Rouen as we were coming from Le Mans.... popped into Gravelines (6km from Ferry) for return shopping.... never saw any migrants at Dunkirk... Security was high.. Check in was brilliant from DFDS....huge queue for UK border control to get back into blighty....
I'd still say stay at Cap Griz Nez or near there if coming up the A16 south or inland towards St Omer...from the low countries, stay inside Belgium
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
BongoBonkers
Bongolier

Post by BongoBonkers » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Not sure if you can do it still but we have slept inside the fence in the terminal car park before. It was pretty secure with police patrolling around and had a good night, the only minor irritation being the floodlights.

Sorry, just seen you are going on the tunnel - I was referencing the ferry....
boyerm005
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by boyerm005 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm

BongoBonkers wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:29 pm Not sure if you can do it still but solution crédit trésorerie we have slept inside the fence in the terminal car park before. It was pretty secure with police patrolling around and had a good night, the only minor irritation being the floodlights.

Sorry, just seen you are going on the tunnel - I was referencing the ferry....
This is a good article because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful for me.
Thanks!

Return to “Going Abroad”