20 y.o Bongo Euro breakdown cover, possible ?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

20 y.o Bongo Euro breakdown cover, possible ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

Just wondering if this is something you can get and from where ? I know many seem to have policies that only cover vehicles of a younger age.
John_H
Bongonaut

Re: 20 y.o Bongo Euro breakdown cover, possible ?

Post by John_H » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Try these, AFAIK they all cover 'classic vehicles' (over 20 year old)
Footman James Classic Breakdown Cover
GEM Motoring Assist
Adrian Flux
BondLovis (brokers)

HTH John
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Super dooper thanks John.
bongovi
Bongonaut

Post by bongovi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:47 pm

John_H wrote:Try these, AFAIK they all cover 'classic vehicles' (over 20 year old)
Footman James Classic Breakdown Cover
GEM Motoring Assist
Adrian Flux
BondLovis (brokers)

HTH John
Cracking list, John. First post on the forums here, just wanted to say that I checked Adrian Flux, they couldn't cover an over 20 year old vehicle (1996). Then saw you'd put another post on the forum where you signed up with Quoteline Direct. They had not so great reviews so I checked the reviews for Footman James, they were relatively good (always polarised anyway and focused on insurance, but enough good there to go with) and were offering EU and UK breakdown cover for £65 for the year. Card payments didn't work on their site, spoke to Alan at their call centre in Athlone, Ireland (cheers, Alan!), and he set me up using the card that didn't work on the site. Expected it was a website issue. Took 10 minutes (after a lot more time wasted calling round).

Ian (of Bongo Fury) recommended RAC and AA but they were £160 and £320 respectively *just for the 2-week trip*, putting our destination (Sweden) in their zones 2 and 3.

So yes, thanks very much for the recommendations, John. Never would have found them otherwise. I did try to cover my 10 year old 'normal vehicle' but they only do 20+ year old vehicles. So I hope that info helps save someone else some time!
  • 1996 AFT Bongo, black
    110AH leisure batt., 1KW PSW inverter
    Diesel heater to fit, where best?
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 am

I'm covered with the AA, including Europe (limited to something like 30 days). Even got parts cover on the Bongo.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 am

Hi,

I have my insurance through the C&CC and for a top-up of about 60 quid I get uk and euro break down cover as well

Jane
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:55 am

janie wrote:Hi,

I have my insurance through the C&CC and for a top-up of about 60 quid I get uk and euro break down cover as well

Jane
How old is your Bongo? And is it regsitered as a "Motorcaravan" on your log book?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi,

It's 20 this year and yes it says motor caravan on the log book
JamieBennett
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JamieBennett » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:33 pm

I just added it to my direct line policy (we have three cars now). There is a disclaimer in the small print that they will only cover vehicles under, if I remember correctly, 15 years old, so you have to tell them you have a 'classic'. In the end it cost me about £25 extra on the existing policy after asking them 'if they can do any better' than the original £100 hike they proposed. I have full breakdown cover, homestart, Europe e.t.c.
peridot
Junior Bongonaut

Post by peridot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:33 am

I was going to take out European breakdown cover as an add-on to my insurance but while it was cheap it appeared to have very significant restrictions.

While I normally go for cheapest minimum coverage on insurance, I think this is one policy that I might spend more money on to ensure that I'm fully covered for all eventualities.

I'll look forward to checking out the helpful recommendations on this thread before making my first Bongo powered foray into mainland Europe.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm

http://www.stuartcollins.com

these guys will insure you with euro cover for an indefinate period of time.
Its a one off payment systeme and you can add full euro breakdown cover fo 190 quid.

they are awesome and are a small team dedicated to this kind of thing
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 pm

I have cover through my Nationwide flex plus account £14 per month covers travel insurance for wifey and self and breakdown cover for Bongey.also other cover but did not look at the small print regarding mobiles domestic appliances etc. No restriction on age of vehicle. Cheaper than elsewhere but you have to use the account and comply with the restrictions - worth checking out?
Ian G
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I have the Nationwide current account and it works well for us. They have just increased the monthly payments to £13 per month but good for UK and European breakdown cover, free travel insurance, mobile insurance etc. They also pay 3% interest on the amount you have in the account (up to £2500) I don't work for Nationwide but if you are in work and pay your salary into the account it seems a very good deal to me.

Return to “Going Abroad”