European Road Trip - Gas

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

BillyCasper
Bongonaut

European Road Trip - Gas

Post by BillyCasper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm new to the forum and new to my Bongo. I had the AFT up for the first time today. So I know nothing am eager to learn and appreciate everybody's vast accumulated knowledge.

I'm off to Europe for a summer road trip.

My Bongo is fitted with a Smev two-ring cooker, EN12864 37mbar propane regulator and 3.9kg red Calor propane cylinder.

I understand this is old style and not a great arrangement for Europe. Any advice from experienced European travellers?

A multitude of national adaptors?
Switch to Campingaz 907 butane for flexibility?

If the Campingaz route, what is needed? A bottle, new regulator? Is switching the regulator a DIY or gas fitter's job? Does the cooker need adjusting?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards
John_H
Bongonaut

Re: European Road Trip - Gas

Post by John_H » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Calor Gas (or Supergas) are not available in mainland Europe, so either carry sufficient gas to last for the duration of your stay or use Campingaz, which is butane and the regulator screws on the top of the cylinder. (Butane is a more efficient heat producer in summer conditions, but becomes less so as the temperature drops) Butane (28mbar) must not be used with a propane regulator (37mbar) nor vice versa. You'd need a Campinggaz cylinder and (blue) butane regulator, just connect the pipe from your Smev two-ring cooker to this. In France Campinggaz is sold in many larger supermarket and hypermarkets in France, as well as DIY warehouses, caravan accessory shops, camping shops, filling stations (where HGV drivers fill up), and many other places. The bottles are exchangeable.
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Many thanks for that John. I've gone and bought an empty 907 cylinder, regulator, some clips and a couple of metres of new tubing. I'll switch the whole thing over ready for Europe. I understand the price for filling a 907 is expensive, but I need a coffee first thing in the morning.
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Last time I got gaz in France the LeClerc price was 22.50 Euro for 907 exchange. Leroy Merlin in Calais (at Coquelles near Auchan) was only 18.85 Euro. In the UK it's about £30.00 well, there's a surprise! If you don't need gaz before you get to France then wait if you want to save a tenner or so!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Jim the Box had a couple of Camping Gaz cylinders for sale on here.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 pm

I think last time I exchanged my 907 it was around £20 at the local Calor centre. After while, the valve wouldn't seal without the screw cap so they replaced a half empty one for free. As previously mentioned, you'll have no problems getting Camping Gaz anywhere in France. LPG for the van itself was less readily available I found on my last visit but probably on par with UK. In Poland, there were people selling LPG from tanks in front gardens of their houses!
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks, so Campingaz not too bad a price in Europe. Will probably keep the Calor for back home.
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Tue May 10, 2016 4:46 pm

A follow on question:

I now have a 3.6kg Calor and 907 Campingaz. Only one bottle will fit in the gas cabinet with the vent tube to the outside.

I expect to be in Europe for 2 or 3 months. Do you reckon:

1. Just take one cylinder, the 907, or
2. Take the 3.6kg Calor full and keep the 907 (with its regulator) empty as backup?

I suspect that I will use the cooker for breakfast hot drinks and possibly one meal a day.

I guess its a balance: two bottles gives backup, but adds to the weight and clutter. There's a real danger I'll stuff the van with gear that I'll never use.

Regards
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 10, 2016 7:14 pm

We found that a 907 would easily last for 6-9 months with lots of tea/coffee breaks and cooked meals most evenings on a 2 burner unit.
We also keep a 901 cylinder (very small) in the locker which would last us a week - plenty of time to change the 907 big cylinder and uses the same connection of course.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Billy, personally, I'd just take a full 907 (that's 2.75 kg Butane) as they are easy to get refilled in most European countries.
You could buy (on ebay) an smaller empty 901 - 400g (or 904 - 1.8kg ) to take with you for 'emergency' then you won't run out of gaz. They don't take up much room.

I don't know if the 3.6kg Calor will last you for the trip, not much experience with those.
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks very much for the advice - very helpful
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Wed May 11, 2016 2:17 pm

A 907 will easily last 3 months just for the hob. If you are going over by Eurotunnel you are not allowed to carry loose gas bottles that don't fit into the gas locker.
dnitu001
Bongonaut

Post by dnitu001 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi

Just got back from 12 days in France/Belgium/Luxemboug/Germany/Switzland/Austria/Germany/Holand/Belgium/France

We took a 3.7kg red cylinder and had no problems - lasted the whole trip. We have a heater which uses a lot more gas than the hob. also cooked each morning and every evening - using gas cylinder. (was not expecting the heat wave we got)

No place to change the red cylinder abroad.

Also took a Blue 907 (which came with the van just in case) No problems with the Tunnel - had both in the van on the way out and the way back along with the rest. They never looked. (booked as a camper)

Lots of places to exchange a 907 most camping sites had them to change. I like others have surgested had 2 regulators.

Sure it will be fine.

Question how often do you change your cylinder at the the moment.
Like others, mine last months. Or just over 2 weeks continous camping (heating, hot water, washingup and tea!!!)
BillyCasper
Bongonaut

Post by BillyCasper » Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks for the answers, all very helpful. I'll leave the larger Calor at home, probably go with a single empty 907 that I have and get a filled one across the channel. I have a Campingaz regulator and some new Jubilees.

Return to “Going Abroad”