European Breakdown Insurance

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

John_H
Bongonaut

European Breakdown Insurance

Post by John_H » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi All, Going to be Bongoing in France in early June. Previous years have always been in a large motorhome.
This year I'm flying solo! :shock:
OK so what's the best deal for European Breakdown Insurance? (single trip or annual, I don't rightly know yet.) My Bongo is DVLA regged on a '55 plate so would 2005 be it's actual age of manufacture? If so then it's 11 years old.

I've looked at Shield Insurance, (Equity Red Star) they cover both “UK and European” for £75.00 per annum - seems to be a good deal, maybe?
"Available to caravanettes and motorhomes less than 20 years old and up to a max. 3000c.c’s only
Cover applies for single trips of 45 days or less or no more than 90 days in total during the period of insurance"

Any better deals than this around - I don't want to combine it with my actual vehicle insurance.
John

Edit - Just found this from "quotelinedirect.co.uk" - comprehensive breakdown insurance for just £59.00 per year. As well as providing breakdown cover throughout the UK we automatically include a number of European countries* (limited to 30 days for a single trip).
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: European Breakdown Insurance

Post by briwy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:30 pm

We used them a few years ago and had excellent service when I stupidly forgot to flick the switch on the control unit and flattened the starter battery.
The breakdown truck in France actually broke down on the way to us causing us to miss our ferry from Le Havre. They paid for us to use the tunnel (about£200) last minute which was good as the channel crossings were horrendous that night. No quibling . Just booked it for us.
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:49 pm

briwy wrote:We used them a few years ago and had excellent service when I stupidly forgot to flick the switch on the control unit and flattened the starter battery
Thanks for that - but which of the two companies were you with?
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 pm

{ bump }
any updates, anyone?
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:47 pm

In general ... look at what they are offering. Some cover only to local garages, some will repatriate you, etc.
John_H
Bongonaut

Post by John_H » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Well, I've taken out a breakdown policy with quotelinedirect http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/
For the price it does seem to be good value for money as it covers 12 months UK and Europe (30 days single trip/ 60 days total) Covers vehicles up to 20 years old. Cost was £59.00 !!

Return to “Going Abroad”