Switzerland: camping in December - question

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Ignis
Bongonaut

Switzerland: camping in December - question

Post by Ignis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:15 am

I think to leave my Bongo in one camping in Switzerland for one or two weeks and then explore the country by public transport. What are your thoughts on it please? Any particular place you'd recommend?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Switzerland: camping in December - question

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:44 am

Ignis wrote:I think to leave my Bongo in one camping in Switzerland for one or two weeks and then explore the country by public transport. What are your thoughts on it please? Any particular place you'd recommend?
Make sure the battery(s) are in good condition and well charged, and that diesel doesn't freeze/gel in the tank. Also, that ice doesn't glue the doors closed and lock you out. And make sure your antifreeze and screenwasher fluid are of sufficient strength to resist freezing in v cold temperatures. You might need a light a fire underneath it on your return in order to sort that lot out. But seriously - leaving it in the cold for 2 weeks must carry those risks but from what I've read on here diesel Bongos have a good track record for starting 1st time even after being left for a while.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Ignis wrote:I think to leave my Bongo in one camping in Switzerland for one or two weeks and then explore the country by public transport. What are your thoughts on it please? Any particular place you'd recommend?
Make sure the battery(s) are in good condition and well charged, and that diesel doesn't freeze/gel in the tank. Also, that ice doesn't glue the doors closed and lock you out. And make sure your antifreeze and screenwasher fluid are of sufficient strength to resist freezing in v cold temperatures. You might need a light a fire underneath it on your return in order to sort that lot out. But seriously - leaving it in the cold for 2 weeks must carry those risks but from what I've read on here diesel Bongos have a good track record for starting 1st time even after being left for a while.
Thank you for this! Hmm, not sure how I can check my antifreeze now, but screenwasher fluid is up to -8 - could not find anything lower than that in London.

Deicer is good one - totally forgot about it..

Well, I was thinking to get back to my Bongo every night to sleep in it, so technically can start it too to avoid issues. Mine is 2.5l petrol..
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Ignis wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
Thank you for this! Hmm, not sure how I can check my antifreeze now, but screenwasher fluid is up to -8 - could not find anything lower than that in London.

Deicer is good one - totally forgot about it..

Well, I was thinking to get back to my Bongo every night to sleep in it, so technically can start it too to avoid issues. Mine is 2.5l petrol..
No problem with fuel freezing then if its petrol. There have been one or two cases of V6 ignition disliking damp but hopefully that wouldn't apply here (although in that respect running for short periods in freezing weather could promote condensation in the HT electrics (distributor cap etc). If in doubt, antifreeze strength can be tested using a cheap hydrometer available from ebay, amazon etc. and by siphoning out coolant from header tank (or draining it using radiator tap - but not below level of header tank) and topping up with pure antifreeze, you could improve its concentration if the hydrometer shows it needs it.

Things like parking near a heated building (especially a poorly insulated one though I doubt they have those in Switzerland!) are worth considering also, as the black body heat radiation absorbed from them can usefully offset temp drop caused by ambient air temp. Similarly, especially with the Bongos mid engine sheltered engine bay, parking out of wind and/or putting sleeping bags over the engine hump inside the car, can all help retain engine heat for longer. Putting window blinds down and/or leaving insulated window screens in place likewise (though that may deny you the chance of greenhouse warming on a sunny cold day so need to decide on that one - maybe leave them off on a sunny day and put them in place of an evening). Much of this stuff won't help if leaving it for 2 weeks unstarted and unoccupied in Arctic temps, but may make a difference if you're starting it and letting it warm up each day. If you're on hookup, you have options for warming the car/engine at night when you're kipping in it, which will really help, though remember safety comes first.

Return to “Going Abroad”