Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:58 am

Ignis wrote:Right, so the day is coming for me to leave for Europe. I have not booked a ferry ticket yet, but intend to do so today.

I have purchased:

1. For my Bongo: snow chains, warning sign for overhung baggage for Italy (read they are quite strict there), -8C window wash, 6l propaine gas (it was quite a task to put it in esp after the surgery and I still wonder how long it will last). I put together a small box of tools, but also obtained AA Breakdown cover for Europe.

2. For myself: thermal linen, emergency warming pads, two sleeping bags, three torches. My mum has knitted me a very thick pull-over. I'll take my Thermos with me (bought a good selection of green and herbal teas:-).

I have also won a load of prizes as an author of the Star letter in the recent Camping and Caravanning Magazine but I doubt I'll get them before I've left.

Any more tips please? Would anyone know a camping in close proximity to Paris (open all-year round) or where in Paris I can park a car for free (hope it is not much to ask)?
Are you taking any essential spares? Has vehicle been thoroughly looked over by an expert eye to check everything looking OK? Note Glenda's post about screeching brakes cos they didn't check brake pads. Maybe take repair tape for leaking hoses plus some spare antifreeze in case you have to top up a leaky system. Have you got a low coolant alarm fitted (apologies if you've said you have, I'm typing this without being able to see earlier posts)? Spare bulbs and fuses? Alternator belts? Is battery/batteries in good condition. Oil change and filters done? Tyres all good (and suitable for terrain) and good working fullsize spare? If you have a lifting roof, do you know what to do if the motors fail? And I don't know why, but if there was one spare I might take with me it would be a spare alternator (then again, Ian at Bongo Towers could get any spares couriered out to you pretty quickly should the worst happen, and alternators are not cheap).

One of those ciggy lighter powered electric tyre pumps is also a useful thing in case you get a slow puncture - mine has saved me several times.

I would be very wary about parking anywhere unofficial in Paris given recent events :roll:

Sorry if the above is all a statement of the bleeding obvious but.....
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:39 am

Camping Indigo
2, allée du Bord de l'Eau
Bois de Boulogne
75016 Paris
Tel : 33 (0)1 45 24 30 00
http://www.camping-indigo.com/en/paris-indigo-campsite

See HERE for our pics on site :wink:

From the campsite walk NE following the river to the Pont de Neuilly and get the M1 Metro line to the Arc de Triomphe, and from there the world's your lobster :wink:
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:04 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Ignis wrote:Right, so the day is coming for me to leave for Europe. I have not booked a ferry ticket yet, but intend to do so today.

I have purchased:

1. For my Bongo: snow chains, warning sign for overhung baggage for Italy (read they are quite strict there), -8C window wash, 6l propaine gas (it was quite a task to put it in esp after the surgery and I still wonder how long it will last). I put together a small box of tools, but also obtained AA Breakdown cover for Europe.

2. For myself: thermal linen, emergency warming pads, two sleeping bags, three torches. My mum has knitted me a very thick pull-over. I'll take my Thermos with me (bought a good selection of green and herbal teas:-).

I have also won a load of prizes as an author of the Star letter in the recent Camping and Caravanning Magazine but I doubt I'll get them before I've left.

Any more tips please? Would anyone know a camping in close proximity to Paris (open all-year round) or where in Paris I can park a car for free (hope it is not much to ask)?
Are you taking any essential spares? Has vehicle been thoroughly looked over by an expert eye to check everything looking OK? Note Glenda's post about screeching brakes cos they didn't check brake pads. Maybe take repair tape for leaking hoses plus some spare antifreeze in case you have to top up a leaky system. Have you got a low coolant alarm fitted (apologies if you've said you have, I'm typing this without being able to see earlier posts)? Spare bulbs and fuses? Alternator belts? Is battery/batteries in good condition. Oil change and filters done? Tyres all good (and suitable for terrain) and good working fullsize spare? If you have a lifting roof, do you know what to do if the motors fail? And I don't know why, but if there was one spare I might take with me it would be a spare alternator (then again, Ian at Bongo Towers could get any spares couriered out to you pretty quickly should the worst happen, and alternators are not cheap).

One of those ciggy lighter powered electric tyre pumps is also a useful thing in case you get a slow puncture - mine has saved me several times.

I would be very wary about parking anywhere unofficial in Paris given recent events :roll:

Sorry if the above is all a statement of the bleeding obvious but.....
Thanks a lot for this! I had MOT in May, everything was fine then and summer/autumn I was in hospital for almost two months (in and out) so no driving. Hope everything should be fine. The roof is manual, so it's good.
Oils, filters and antifreeze - hmm, interesting if I have a European breakdown cover will they provide this? Or better take with me? I have nothing of these at present... Bulbs - yes, got it. All-season tyres are in good condition. I have a pump, good.

Agree about parking in Paris so glad that Murozewa advised on one - quite expensive, but well, that's Paris...
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Camping Indigo
2, allée du Bord de l'Eau
Bois de Boulogne
75016 Paris
Tel : 33 (0)1 45 24 30 00
http://www.camping-indigo.com/en/paris-indigo-campsite

See HERE for our pics on site :wink:

From the campsite walk NE following the river to the Pont de Neuilly and get the M1 Metro line to the Arc de Triomphe, and from there the world's your lobster :wink:
Wow, sounds great. It's not cheap but well, location is perfect.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

I have purchased:

That deserves star letter Ignaty. I had read that last week not knowing it was by you! The club campsite in Folkestone is one of my most visited and you are right it is beautiful. We stay there every year for a night as it is 60 miles from Brighton and has so much to offer. A great way to have a look at France across the Channel. There is even a little Switzerland up the hill.
Good luck with your winter trip and good health.
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:17 pm

How did you get on Ignis? I'm heading off in about a week to the South of Spain to avoid the UK weather for winter!

Return to “Going Abroad”