Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Ignis
Bongonaut

Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Post by Ignis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:55 pm

I am thinking of going to Europe for a couple of months from - most probably - end of November till early-mid January.

So far the dream is to get via France and Switzerland to Italy and then back. I'd like it to be a very relaxed holiday with few long stays in beautiful campsites and some sightseeing along the way. The overall idea is to recover from cancer and associated treatment I have been undergoing since June.

I'd appreciate any tips and recommendations as to what essentials I must take with me, what to visit, where to stay.

I have now purchased thermal underwear, oil radiator (800W), self-inflating mattress, awning. I have four sleeping bags (though only think to take two of them). What else?

Thank you in advance! :roll:
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Hook up lead, European adapter and polarity checker.

Spares according to space and experience, print out of 'Bleeding Procedure'.

Sounds a great trip. :D
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:33 am

Hi
My tip would be to look round Europe and see what the winter temperatures are, then decide where you're going to go!.....I've done Southern Italy in winter....as far south as you can go, and it's cold, wet and 'orrible :lol: ...Southern Spain perhaps? Also, there's a steady stream of migrants that may upset your plans, and it's upset our plans to move to warmer climes. "Him Indoors" has business interests round Europe, and a lot of the migrant problems don't get onto the main news...REALLY ! If you do decide to go, from my experience, it's hard to find campsites that are open, but I had some extraordinarily nice owners who just opened up for us, as they often do a spot of winter maintenance. Greece was super, and had the best weather...T-shirts and sitting outside, as opposed to Italy's plastic macs and dodging rain and cold!...Read the weather history around Europe would be my advice, then get e-mailing a few camp-sites
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:25 am

Bob wrote:Hook up lead, European adapter and polarity checker.

Spares according to space and experience, print out of 'Bleeding Procedure'.

Sounds a great trip. :D
Thank you! I've got a hook up and adapter from the previous owner - thanks for reminding.

Any chance you have a recommendation for a polarity checker? seems there are plenty of them...
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
My tip would be to look round Europe and see what the winter temperatures are, then decide where you're going to go!.....I've done Southern Italy in winter....as far south as you can go, and it's cold, wet and 'orrible :lol: ...Southern Spain perhaps? Also, there's a steady stream of migrants that may upset your plans, and it's upset our plans to move to warmer climes. "Him Indoors" has business interests round Europe, and a lot of the migrant problems don't get onto the main news...REALLY ! If you do decide to go, from my experience, it's hard to find campsites that are open, but I had some extraordinarily nice owners who just opened up for us, as they often do a spot of winter maintenance. Greece was super, and had the best weather...T-shirts and sitting outside, as opposed to Italy's plastic macs and dodging rain and cold!...Read the weather history around Europe would be my advice, then get e-mailing a few camp-sites
Cheers
Helen
Helen, thank you for such a detailed response.
That's a valid comment on the weather. I've been trying to read about it in the past few days and bought various clothes for rain and snow. Snow is actually something I'd like to experience (hopefully being in a nice campsite hooked up to electricity:)). But Greece... mm, sounds nice.:-)

I have not thought about migrants... Well, I kind of hoped that avoiding Eurotunnel I'd avoid the problem overall... But you are right i should be vigilant - definitely staying only in campsites overnight. And yes, further news reading is a must now.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:46 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Cheers
Helen
Helen's right - I think you need to be careful and to lots of research if you want to ensure the experience is relaxing. Winter is a cold wet time in a lot of places, snowy too (is your Bongo a 4WD?). You need to be sure also that the Bongo is in reliable form and to carry a few essential spares for peace of mind. I think I'd rather deal with snow than cold rain and wind, and its more picturesque. I wonder if the AirBnB network might allow any interesting opportunities for overnighting if campsites prove a problem - I'd be attracted to a warm bed in winter!
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:53 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Helen's right - I think you need to be careful and to lots of research if you want to ensure the experience is relaxing. Winter is a cold wet time in a lot of places, snowy too (is your Bongo a 4WD?). You need to be sure also that the Bongo is in reliable form and to carry a few essential spares for peace of mind. I think I'd rather deal with snow than cold rain and wind, and its more picturesque. I wonder if the AirBnB network might allow any interesting opportunities for overnighting if campsites prove a problem - I'd be attracted to a warm bed in winter!
My Bongo is not 4WD, it is 2.5 petrol, but it has all seasons tyres and I think I'll buy snow chains. I also have an AA European cover - hope it will work in winter too...

You are right, Mike, AirBnb is an option for those nights when staying outside is not possible. On the other hand when I was a teenager I was camping in tents up to -8C. Nostalgia about these young years is probably what prompted me to do this trip... I don't know. All this time in hospital I have been just dreaming about being outdoors, walking, living basic...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:30 am

Ignis wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
My Bongo is not 4WD, it is 2.5 petrol, but it has all seasons tyres and I think I'll buy snow chains. I also have an AA European cover - hope it will work in winter too...

You are right, Mike, AirBnb is an option for those nights when staying outside is not possible. On the other hand when I was a teenager I was camping in tents up to -8C. Nostalgia about these young years is probably what prompted me to do this trip... I don't know. All this time in hospital I have been just dreaming about being outdoors, walking, living basic...
Yep, totally get that. The trouble always is that the dream may not pan out as expected so you're doing the right thing inviting thoughts from others before commmitting. I'm getting older - I dream of shooting off to go gliding but its a 100 mile trip for an uncertain outcome and I'm finding that what with work and other commitments, I dream of doing it but when faced with the reality of getting out to do it I find I lack the energy to make my life so busy!

Meanwhile, I was curious about how to keep warm if camping in winter without hookup. A Bongo should be warmer than a tent but it could still get mighty cold unless you have an onboard diesel/propex heater. I wondered if anyone had tried these inside a sleeping bag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Warmer-Ad ... dy+warmers

Might provide insurance against unexpectedly cold nights?

Turning back to AirBnB, maybe a mixed strategy would work? That way, if Bongo nights prove cold, then warm accommodation is only a night or two away.

I've heard it said that a 2WD Bongo with the right winter / snow tyres manages as well as a 4WD without. :roll:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:54 am

Down sleeping bag for cold nights. A quality 4-5 season bag will cost, but is light and very compact. Problem is it will be too warm in temperatures CLIMBING towards freezing!
Sounds like you are familiar with "cold camping". Remember it's affect on butane gas (if you need to cook, useless anywhere nearing zero) and batteries (torches, camera etc). I'm a fan of energizer lithium batteries http://www.batterystation.co.uk/Energiz ... -AA-2-Pack Also medical equipment and LCD displays can be affected.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 pm

Consider getting an inner tent for the Bongo AFT if you intend sleeping up there in cold weather, being higher off the ground then your average tent the wind speed and air circulation is significantly higher. We have found the inner tent makes a significant difference both to the temperature but also the condensation problem, we use a fleece material details in the factsheets.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:16 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Yep, totally get that. The trouble always is that the dream may not pan out as expected so you're doing the right thing inviting thoughts from others before commmitting. I'm getting older - I dream of shooting off to go gliding but its a 100 mile trip for an uncertain outcome and I'm finding that what with work and other commitments, I dream of doing it but when faced with the reality of getting out to do it I find I lack the energy to make my life so busy!

Meanwhile, I was curious about how to keep warm if camping in winter without hookup. A Bongo should be warmer than a tent but it could still get mighty cold unless you have an onboard diesel/propex heater. I wondered if anyone had tried these inside a sleeping bag:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Warmer-Ad ... dy+warmers

Might provide insurance against unexpectedly cold nights?

Turning back to AirBnB, maybe a mixed strategy would work? That way, if Bongo nights prove cold, then warm accommodation is only a night or two away.

I've heard it said that a 2WD Bongo with the right winter / snow tyres manages as well as a 4WD without. :roll:
Wow, Mike, thanks for pointing at these warmers. I've ordered them so will comment on their performance after using.

And yes, AirBnb (or just B&B) will be my plan B. I am only worried a bit about parking, but I think it's best to deal with the issue when it arises.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

cmm303 wrote:Down sleeping bag for cold nights. A quality 4-5 season bag will cost, but is light and very compact. Problem is it will be too warm in temperatures CLIMBING towards freezing!
Sounds like you are familiar with "cold camping". Remember it's affect on butane gas (if you need to cook, useless anywhere nearing zero) and batteries (torches, camera etc). I'm a fan of energizer lithium batteries http://www.batterystation.co.uk/Energiz ... -AA-2-Pack Also medical equipment and LCD displays can be affected.
On the sleeping bag point: I have a 4 season bag, but have used for two yearss and washed it a few times. Would you think it is safer to buy a new one or this one will hold its properties?

Well, I am kind of familiar with cold camping, I have never done it in a civilised way, ie with gas and other conveniences. So would you mind elaborating on the gas issue for me please?

Noted about batteries, though most of my equipment incl torches is charged from usb so I hope to recharge them while driving or on campsites.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 pm

g8dhe wrote:Consider getting an inner tent for the Bongo AFT if you intend sleeping up there in cold weather, being higher off the ground then your average tent the wind speed and air circulation is significantly higher. We have found the inner tent makes a significant difference both to the temperature but also the condensation problem, we use a fleece material details in the factsheets.
I was thinking to sleep inside the car, but it is an interesting idea about an inner tent - did not know about it. Where would one get it from please?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Ignis wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Consider getting an inner tent for the Bongo AFT if you intend sleeping up there in cold weather, being higher off the ground then your average tent the wind speed and air circulation is significantly higher. We have found the inner tent makes a significant difference both to the temperature but also the condensation problem, we use a fleece material details in the factsheets.
I was thinking to sleep inside the car, but it is an interesting idea about an inner tent - did not know about it. Where would one get it from please?
Sleeping downstairs should be much warmer plus you'd get benefit from the engine while it was any remaining heat in it. Those warmers seem worth a try at that price even if they turn out to be iffy. Interesting to google about camping/sleeping in cold weather - lots of good tips. I'm sure a really good sleeping bag is the most important thing though.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Ignis wrote:
cmm303 wrote:Down sleeping bag for cold nights. A quality 4-5 season bag will cost, but is light and very compact. Problem is it will be too warm in temperatures CLIMBING towards freezing!
On the sleeping bag point: I have a 4 season bag, but have used for two yearss and washed it a few times. Would you think it is safer to buy a new one or this one will hold its properties?

Well, I am kind of familiar with cold camping, I have never done it in a civilised way, ie with gas and other conveniences. So would you mind elaborating on the gas issue for me please?

Noted about batteries, though most of my equipment incl torches is charged from usb so I hope to recharge them while driving or on campsites.
Forgive me, I used the "season" tag slightly informally. Down bags are usually defined more precisely in terms of weight and their comfortable temperature and survivable temperature. e.g. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/summit-600. Best to check the spec of your bag. Washing according to instructions shouldn't affect this. Down tends to clump up and loose its puffiness if not looked after. It is also useless when wet but that isn't an issue inside a van. If the bag has been stored compressed, I would leave it to "relax" for a few days and see how it well it recovers. Compressing it back up for travelling is fine - it's what it is so good at!

Gas: Butane liquefies near to 0 deg C (can't remember the exact temperature) which isn't any good because it has to be a gas to burn. Also when you use gas, the bottle cools as it loses pressure so actually it starts to become a problem at ambient temperatures above this temperature and is worst with little disposable canisters. Camping Gaz is butane. For winter use it is better to use Propane which liquefies at a much colder temperature.

We only use the roof for storage so in cold weather we tend to shut it off to keep the downstairs warmer. But I've been too lazy to improve its insulation and have to put up with the icy blast to fetch my clean clothes in the morning!! Mrs M keeps her clothes in the footwell next to the engine so she is ok. :lol:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Going Abroad”