Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Winter camping in Europe - any tips?

Post by g8dhe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Ignis wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Consider getting an inner tent for the Bongo AFT if you intend sleeping up there in cold weather, being higher off the ground then your average tent the wind speed and air circulation is significantly higher. We have found the inner tent makes a significant difference both to the temperature but also the condensation problem, we use a fleece material details in the factsheets.
I was thinking to sleep inside the car, but it is an interesting idea about an inner tent - did not know about it. Where would one get it from please?
Not seen any advertised for a while but we made ours and the Factsheet on how to make it along with full size plans is here in the Members area http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... oftent.pdf since writing that we have made some alterations, like adding zips in the front corners above the halfway mark to allow dropping the front section down to allow increased ventilation, also the plastic clips are a job to get and make so we have changed to using plastic A4 Binders with velcro stuck on them to go over the aluminium support for the original tent see like these;
available from the likes of amazon or stationery stores, A4 slide binders.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:39 am

Hi
Regarding snow chains, you MUST carry them in some EU countries...they're mandatory. They are here, but I don't use them, as both vehicles have summer / winter wheels. I would advise you to fit winter tyres if you don't have them - although not mandatory, they are normally fitted from 1st November here. My opinion would be to go B&B if you want to relax, or rent somewhere if you want a dollop of snow!...there are some great off-season deals. I know an English lady who will find a good rental on the Black Sea around Varna to Balchik for a couple of months ...very laid-back this time of year, cheap restaurants, and guaranteed snow!...and you get to have a good drive there and back. Medical facilities are VERY easily accessed over here, and quick.
Snow season here is late December to mid/ late February, and earlier further North in Europe, especially Switzerland / S.E France on the borders.
Regarding the Bongo...you'll get no problem with it if it's petrol. Two wheel drive isn't a problem , either. A tip for cold starting in VERY cold weather below minus goodness knows what is to turn your headlights on and leave them for a fair few minutes. It warms the electrolyte in the battery, and turn off before you start, and you'll turn the engine over better. It's an old Russian trick!. Make sure your battery is good, though! Forget using butane gas use propane, or propane / butane mix (that's what they use here )
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:21 am

Very good suggestions from Helen there - the beauty of Eastern Europe in winter combined with inexpensive comfortable accommodation and some good driving, almost tempts me to down tools and set off myself. =D> 8)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi
Mike...
The towns are rather un-inspiring in the old Commie countries, but it's very quiet...I wouldn't set foot anywhere near the Black sea in season. The advantage is that it's cheap. The lady we know who finds the rentals basically keeps an eye on peoples houses when they aren't here, and one or two rent out to keep the place occupied!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:55 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
The towns are rather un-inspiring in the old Commie countries, but it's very quiet...I wouldn't set foot anywhere near the Black sea in season. The advantage is that it's cheap. The lady we know who finds the rentals basically keeps an eye on peoples houses when they aren't here, and one or two rent out to keep the place occupied!
Cheers
Helen
I was thinking more of the landscapes (Slovenia etc.) Would they accessible in winter? We won't discuss the potholes that the snow might hide on Bulgarian roads in winter :roll: :shock: #-o :lol: 8)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:43 pm

If you're planning to go to Switzerland be sure to check out Camping des Glaciers, Chemin de Tsamodet 36, 1944 La Fouly ( camping-glaciers.ch ) ( +41 27 783 18 26 ) (45.933338, 7.096473 on your GPS or Goggle Maps)

Oh, take gloves Image
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Muzorewa wrote:If you're planning to go to Switzerland be sure to check out Camping des Glaciers, Chemin de Tsamodet 36, 1944 La Fouly ( camping-glaciers.ch ) ( +41 27 783 18 26 ) (45.933338, 7.096473 on your GPS or Goggle Maps)

Oh, take gloves Image
The Kinks wrote: They seek him here, they seek him there,
His Bongo’s loud, but never square.
It will make or break him so he's got to drive the best,
'Cause he's a dedicated follower of travellin’.

And when he does his ‘little’ rounds,
Seeing all the sites, hills, dales and towns,
Eagerly pursuing all the latest grilles and tents,
'Cause he's a dedicated follower of travellin’.

Oh yes he is (oh yes he is), oh yes he is (oh yes he is).
He thinks he is the Bear Grylls of the Bongo,
And when he pulls his long johns on and yanks them way up tight,
He feels a dedicated follower of travellin’.
With sincere apologies to Ray Davies, and to Muz :lol:
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:36 am

cmm303 wrote:
Ignis wrote:
cmm303 wrote:Down sleeping bag for cold nights. A quality 4-5 season bag will cost, but is light and very compact. Problem is it will be too warm in temperatures CLIMBING towards freezing!
Sounds like you are familiar with "cold camping". Remember it's affect on butane gas (if you need to cook, useless anywhere nearing zero) and batteries (torches, camera etc). I'm a fan of energizer lithium batteries http://www.batterystation.co.uk/Energiz ... -AA-2-Pack Also medical equipment and LCD displays can be affected.
On the sleeping bag point: I have a 4 season bag, but have used for two yearss and washed it a few times. Would you think it is safer to buy a new one or this one will hold its properties?

Well, I am kind of familiar with cold camping, I have never done it in a civilised way, ie with gas and other conveniences. So would you mind elaborating on the gas issue for me please?

Noted about batteries, though most of my equipment incl torches is charged from usb so I hope to recharge them while driving or on campsites.
Forgive me, I used the "season" tag slightly informally. Down bags are usually defined more precisely in terms of weight and their comfortable temperature and survivable temperature. e.g. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/sleeping-bags/summit-600. Best to check the spec of your bag. Washing according to instructions shouldn't affect this. Down tends to clump up and loose its puffiness if not looked after. It is also useless when wet but that isn't an issue inside a van. If the bag has been stored compressed, I would leave it to "relax" for a few days and see how it well it recovers. Compressing it back up for travelling is fine - it's what it is so good at!

Gas: Butane liquefies near to 0 deg C (can't remember the exact temperature) which isn't any good because it has to be a gas to burn. Also when you use gas, the bottle cools as it loses pressure so actually it starts to become a problem at ambient temperatures above this temperature and is worst with little disposable canisters. Camping Gaz is butane. For winter use it is better to use Propane which liquefies at a much colder temperature.

We only use the roof for storage so in cold weather we tend to shut it off to keep the downstairs warmer. But I've been too lazy to improve its insulation and have to put up with the icy blast to fetch my clean clothes in the morning!! Mrs M keeps her clothes in the footwell next to the engine so she is ok. :lol:
wow, it is quite an important bit of info about gas - thanks a lot!! I'll change my butane soon then.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Regarding snow chains, you MUST carry them in some EU countries...they're mandatory. They are here, but I don't use them, as both vehicles have summer / winter wheels. I would advise you to fit winter tyres if you don't have them - although not mandatory, they are normally fitted from 1st November here. My opinion would be to go B&B if you want to relax, or rent somewhere if you want a dollop of snow!...there are some great off-season deals. I know an English lady who will find a good rental on the Black Sea around Varna to Balchik for a couple of months ...very laid-back this time of year, cheap restaurants, and guaranteed snow!...and you get to have a good drive there and back. Medical facilities are VERY easily accessed over here, and quick.
Snow season here is late December to mid/ late February, and earlier further North in Europe, especially Switzerland / S.E France on the borders.
Regarding the Bongo...you'll get no problem with it if it's petrol. Two wheel drive isn't a problem , either. A tip for cold starting in VERY cold weather below minus goodness knows what is to turn your headlights on and leave them for a fair few minutes. It warms the electrolyte in the battery, and turn off before you start, and you'll turn the engine over better. It's an old Russian trick!. Make sure your battery is good, though! Forget using butane gas use propane, or propane / butane mix (that's what they use here )
Cheers
Helen
Hmm, I am not quite sure I'll be able to cover that much of a distance. Otherwise, EEurope would be great. I've been to Bulgaria and would love to come back there one day...

Nice trick about starting the engine in winter - thank you.:-)
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 am

Muzorewa wrote:

Oh, take gloves Image
just WOW! :-P
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:46 am

...and the regulator. You shouldn't be able to fit a butane regulator to a propane bottle anyway but you run a different pressure which the correct regulator will take care of.

For info, butane boils at -1 degree Centigrade, propane at -42 so you can see why propane is the preferred choice in winter.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 am

Ignis wrote:
Muzorewa wrote:

Oh, take gloves Image
just WOW! :-P
It's in Switzerland, very near where France, Switzerland & Italy meet.

It's not my Bongo or photo either (borrowed from Imperial Leisure Vehicles), but that site is on our "to-do" list :wink:
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:46 am

Bruggerhoff Ignis.

Not being rude. Visited this campsite in Kitzbuhel, Austria last Autumn on the way to Slovenia. At 35 euros it was expensive. Reception said that included use of a swimming pool. We could not find the pool and almost gave up before someone pointed out a spa centre that had a pool with glass sides looking over the Alps, Steam room and Sauna. It was a blessing. Open all year catering for skiers as next to the ski lifts.
http://www.bruggerhof-camping.at/camping.html

Just back from 6 week trip to Iceland. Ice inside on only 4 mornings. Will write up later but tips would be breakdown cover. When leaving lights on all night a quick call to Halifax, reroute to Paris and a call out from the nearest garage in Iceland (50 miles away) meant that Britannia got a 19 year old Bongo up and running again within an hour and a half.

Then always be able to access the Bongo sages. After jump start the sliding side door stopped working. Bongofury sorted that out and soon the panelling was off and the lower cog pushed round, as stated by the sages, and the door worked again.

Don't remember you should have serviced the screeching brakes 500 miles into the journey with 4,500 to go. :oops: :oops: Luckily Iceland was very empty and you could almost drive untill end of day's trip without braking by using the hold button, S2 and S1. Not possible in Alps though. Had peace of mind that pads could have been sent out via Bongofury.

Finally don't sleepily open the driver door in the morning when facing away from gale force winds. You will have to get in and out via the passenger door or climb over the back and out the side for 3 weeks. Hope Allanservices can bend that back next Monday!

Have a good trip!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Glenda wrote:Bruggerhoff Ignis.

Not being rude. Visited this campsite in Kitzbuhel, Austria last Autumn on the way to Slovenia. At 35 euros it was expensive. Reception said that included use of a swimming pool. We could not find the pool and almost gave up before someone pointed out a spa centre that had a pool with glass sides looking over the Alps, Steam room and Sauna. It was a blessing. Open all year catering for skiers as next to the ski lifts.
http://www.bruggerhof-camping.at/camping.html

Just back from 6 week trip to Iceland. Ice inside on only 4 mornings. Will write up later but tips would be breakdown cover. When leaving lights on all night a quick call to Halifax, reroute to Paris and a call out from the nearest garage in Iceland (50 miles away) meant that Britannia got a 19 year old Bongo up and running again within an hour and a half.

Then always be able to access the Bongo sages. After jump start the sliding side door stopped working. Bongofury sorted that out and soon the panelling was off and the lower cog pushed round, as stated by the sages, and the door worked again.

Don't remember you should have serviced the screeching brakes 500 miles into the journey with 4,500 to go. :oops: :oops: Luckily Iceland was very empty and you could almost drive untill end of day's trip without braking by using the hold button, S2 and S1. Not possible in Alps though. Had peace of mind that pads could have been sent out via Bongofury.

Finally don't sleepily open the driver door in the morning when facing away from gale force winds. You will have to get in and out via the passenger door or climb over the back and out the side for 3 weeks. Hope Allanservices can bend that back next Monday!

Have a good trip!
:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 am

Right, so the day is coming for me to leave for Europe. I have not booked a ferry ticket yet, but intend to do so today.

I have purchased:

1. For my Bongo: snow chains, warning sign for overhung baggage for Italy (read they are quite strict there), -8C window wash, 6l propaine gas (it was quite a task to put it in esp after the surgery and I still wonder how long it will last). I put together a small box of tools, but also obtained AA Breakdown cover for Europe.

2. For myself: thermal linen, emergency warming pads, two sleeping bags, three torches. My mum has knitted me a very thick pull-over. I'll take my Thermos with me (bought a good selection of green and herbal teas:-).

I have also won a load of prizes as an author of the Star letter in the recent Camping and Caravanning Magazine but I doubt I'll get them before I've left.

Any more tips please? Would anyone know a camping in close proximity to Paris (open all-year round) or where in Paris I can park a car for free (hope it is not much to ask)?

Return to “Going Abroad”