Iceland

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Glenda
Bongolier

Iceland

Post by Glenda » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:53 pm

After 8 years we still have our V6 that I said I would replace a couple of years ago. For its 100,000 mile birthday we have decided to take it to Iceland for 3 weeks on the ferry from Hirtshals in Denmark. It is having a week in the Faroe Islands as well. Anyone done the trip and has any advice other than take a raincoat?

Allan from Allansvehicles reckons it could be the most travelled Bongo. Including its Japanese past it has taken us to Morocco and the Sahara, Turkey's Black Sea Coast, middle and Med Coast, Crete, most of Western Europe, Scotland, Wales and even Plymouth!

Never been to Russia though but I am sure would like to.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Iceland

Post by Gasy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:50 pm

I beleave Peter Andre knows all about Iceland
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:55 pm

I thought he preferred warmer climes such as Jordan.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Wow, ..... Team Muz.....You`ve got some catching up to do Paul 8)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 am

Glenda wrote:After 8 years we still have our V6 that I said I would replace a couple of years ago. For its 100,000 mile birthday we have decided to take it to Iceland for 3 weeks on the ferry from Hirtshals in Denmark. It is having a week in the Faroe Islands as well. Anyone done the trip and has any advice other than take a raincoat?

Allan from Allansvehicles reckons it could be the most travelled Bongo. Including its Japanese past it has taken us to Morocco and the Sahara, Turkey's Black Sea Coast, middle and Med Coast, Crete, most of Western Europe, Scotland, Wales and even Plymouth!

Never been to Russia though but I am sure would like to.
Gosh - do I remember you posting a picture many years back of of you in the desert with your Bongo? Great to get an update all these years later. I guess a thorough health check before Iceland would be a good idea. That other great traveller Muzorewa has posted in what he did before his Iberian tour.

Keep us posted on your trip and enjoy :-)
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 am

That was us Mike.

After a night at Harwich Port we are now on the ferry to the Hook of Holland. From there 600 miles to Hirtshals, the Northern tip of Denmark, to catch the 3 pm ferry on Saturday. It is then 3 days sailing to Iceland.

Putting this on here because the Bongo Forum has helped us in the past whenever we have encountered any problems. So checking in.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Glenda wrote:That was us Mike.

After a night at Harwich Port we are now on the ferry to the Hook of Holland. From there 600 miles to Hirtshals, the Northern tip of Denmark, to catch the 3 pm ferry on Saturday. It is then 3 days sailing to Iceland.

Putting this on here because the Bongo Forum has helped us in the past whenever we have encountered any problems. So checking in.
Excellent idea. The quid pro quo is we'd love to get a travel report and pics when you get back :-)

Good luck Hoskins. Have a great trip and try to avoid driving over any molten lava :lol: 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Sound brilliant. :D
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:28 am

http://bit.ly/1HqONMv

Testing testing

Edit. I give up.

Another edit: Link sorted. ;)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:45 am

I've sorted the link for you. :) Enjoy your trip. 8)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks Doone but I have messed up at the photobucket end using Facebook.

As to the trip it has finished and was wonderful.Allan fixed up the Bongo with a few minor adjustments and got it through its 8th MOT last Monday. We no longer sing 'No wheels on my wagon and we're still rolling along' as we drive along........
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:05 pm

I am always amazed by your journeys. One day... :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Don't know what's happened there. Random photos from the last 10 years. Might as well stay but none of Iceland. Bongo trips to Crete, Turkey (Capadoccia particularly good), Morocco feature along with non Bongo trips to Everest Base Camp, India, Utah, Arizona and California, our last house, number of family photos and a lot of dolls!

Will look again when have time. Thanks for helping.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Glenda wrote:Don't know what's happened there. Random photos from the last 10 years. Might as well stay but none of Iceland. Bongo trips to Crete, Turkey (Capadoccia particularly good), Morocco feature along with non Bongo trips to Everest Base Camp, India, Utah, Arizona and California, our last house, number of family photos and a lot of dolls!

Will look again when have time. Thanks for helping.
I think we should have one of those up as BF pic of the month to cheer us up through the dark winter months. A real testament to The Spirit of Bongoing :-) =D>
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Been to Iceland on a mission to build two wind turbines October 2012. Depending on the time of year the roads are covered in around 40mm pure ice with frequent snow showers and often white outs?? However the traffic runs daily and they are well prepared to cope. The gritters are something to behold as they are twice the size of anything we have and much more powerful (similar to airport ones) If you see one coming please pull over and be prepared to be covered in snow. They have snow blowers as well as ploughs.

Most vehicles in Iceland are 4x4 with modified suspension and massive wheels/tyres which have steel spikes in them. I am uncertain if this is true but I was told at the time that these tyres are mandatory so please check before you rock up they are not cheap!

Apart from the driving conditions / experience Iceland is fab. The geezers hot springs, volcanoes and scenery is stunning to see. Everything is expensive, I had to hire a 4x4 from airport which happened to be a Toyota Land cruiser and boy was I glad to have it but crickey it was a fortune. Around two weeks hire came in at around £2200 + fuel although it was reclaimable from my client :D . If I get some time I will post some pictures showing all I have discussed including white outs. The experience was both terrifying at times and exhilarating all times. One weekend off I hitched a ride with two locals who monitor seismic activity which was amazing being almost at the top of a live volcano spewing red lava and hot ash.

with a Bongo, stick to the highways and you will be fine but on the smaller roads I think you will be in much trouble very quickly.

Back soon

Back later
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas

Return to “Going Abroad”