Ferry travel

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Re: Ferry travel

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 pm

Do the headlights have to be the same in Spain?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 pm

billymansell wrote:It's considerably cheaper sailing during the day without the cost of a cabin but then you lose a big chunk of a day whilst at sea.
I have a sleep on the day crossing and drive at night when the roads are emptier.
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sun May 31, 2015 8:59 pm

That's an interesting point scanner! =D>
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:49 am

Cab-ova pete wrote:Do the headlights have to be the same in Spain?
In France the yellow headlights rule was mandatory for French-registered vehicles but only ever recommended, not compulsory, for visiting vehicles. It's not a requirement any more.

As for the bits of tape to make your lights dip to the nearside of the road, that's still a requirement in the whole of continental Europe.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:16 am

Muzorewa wrote:As for the bits of tape to make your lights dip to the nearside of the road,
Well they don't actually do that Muz they just blank off the extra bit of beam that lights up the verge on the LHD side which would dazzle other drivers when you are driving on the wrong side of the road.

They may say they are "Beam Benders", but they don't "bend" anything just blank it off.

So my advice is save the £6.99 Halfords and the ferries charge for "Beam Benders" and use some black insulation tape to blank off the bit where the beam kicks up to the left.

Don't be tempted to use Gaffer or Duct Tape or you will still be trying to get the gluey gunge off the lens when your next holiday comes round.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm

scanner wrote:
billymansell wrote:It's considerably cheaper sailing during the day without the cost of a cabin but then you lose a big chunk of a day whilst at sea.
I have a sleep on the day crossing and drive at night when the roads are emptier.
It's an option if your driving some distance on the other side but as I'm meeting some cyclists in Utrecht on Wednesday morning then a night sailing makes sense.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 am

I just use DFDS for Dover to Calais or Dunquerke (dependent if I'm off through Belgium or not) and book Small Motorhome as I have the bikes on the Fiamma Rack.... usually same cost as cars if I book early enough...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Going Abroad”