Is a LiberT Toll Tag worth getting for driving in France?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

matt drastik
Bongonaut

Is a LiberT Toll Tag worth getting for driving in France?

Post by matt drastik » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:18 pm

hi fellow bongonauts

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

In a few weeks I'll be driving the bongo to the french alps via (briefly) Switzerland. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the toll tag called LiberT is worth getting. As far as I can tell it takes the hassle out of paying tolls with cash and you can jump the queues.

I think there are probably only 2 toll stations that we will be passing through so not sure tis worth it. Cost about 38euros (20 is deposit). and about 5 euros for each month you use it.

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Also, thanks for all the threads on what to take when driving aboard, theres a few things on there that I hadn't thought of!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Is a LiberT Toll Tag worth getting for driving in France

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Definitely worth it in my opinion. You only pay for a maximum of 2 months in any year, until you return it.

It cuts the hassle of scrabbling around for loose change and like you say, you jump the queues nicely :wink:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Agree with Muz, definitely. Just don't try going through the left hand dedicated lanes with an AFT or you'll have the roof off. :)
KMH
Bongonaut

Post by KMH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:12 pm

I drove in France for two weeks on my own last summer, without a tag (I had reached my budget limits!) and it was fine. I had a Halifax card for my payments so wasn't worried about having the right cash (look at Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website for detail about the best card for using abroad), and discovered that I quite appreciated the quick stretch that hopping out of the bongo to get to the machines gave me. There weren't big queues at the tolls, and I never had anyone being impatient with me. I imagine that the tag is great if you aren't counting the pennies, but don't be worried about going without one if you are.
matt drastik
Bongonaut

Post by matt drastik » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:19 pm

thanks for the opinions, much appreciated
matt drastik
Bongonaut

Post by matt drastik » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Having returned from the alps last week, I have to say I think it was probbly marginally quicker for those with the tag, I travelled without it to see what it was like and I don't think its worth imo. Maybe I'll find it different in the summer!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Very Worthwhile..... especially in the summer..... and you pay the tool the month after travel....
So so easy and beats the queues.... just follow the wagons through their toll area, beep and away you go....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Going Abroad”