European Toolkit.

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

stewby
Bongolier

European Toolkit.

Post by stewby » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted heaps but I have tried noseying about and using the search function without much luck.

I was wondering if anyone had a list for a definitive toolkit for going to Europe??

We are planning on going to Holland and Belgium in April but I would like to get a full European toolkit made up.

So far (thanks to masses of discussions on France) we have the following items on our list:

* Hi viz jackets x 2.
* Light Beam deflectors.
* Euro hook-ups x 2 (one will be reversed).
* Reverse polarity detector.
* Breathalyser tester thing.
* GB stickers.

Other things I have found we need include:

* V5 register form.
* Letter from the owner.
* Spare tyre and kit.
* Spare light bulbs.
* Spare fuses.
* Duct tape (which we always carry anyways).

Is there anything else people would suggest??
Thank you very much for any replies.
:)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: European Toolkit.

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Last edited by Bob on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:13 pm

The AA and RAC websites can give you the specific requirements for each country but in addition to your lists I carry a roll of self-amalgamating tape along with the duct tape, a first aid kit, fire extinguisher and at least one torch plus extra batteries.

Where in Belgium are you planning to visit? Was there last week to catch the track cycling in Ghent.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Oh... we have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. (forgot about those).
:oops:

We are planning on staying at De Lilse Bergen Campsite. It was really good reviews.
:)

Thanks for the tip. I had done google searches but nothing really came up which is a bit weird really.
:?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi
I'd go with 2 warning triangles, and add a torch, plus a blinking amber light to go with the rear triangle. I carry a folding shovel, and a good tool-kit, a couple of wire coat-hangers (e.g. for holding an exhaust up), some wire and heat-shrink solder-butts, and a handy stanley-knife...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Lidl are doing neat flashing lights from today, or Google 'Road Flare'.

This kind of thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Super-Br ... road+flare
Snail921
Bongonaut

Post by Snail921 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:17 pm

The thing to remember about warning triangles is that you can't put them out far enough away, well, actually you can but the point it that most folk, and we've all seen them, put them just behind the vehicle. They need to be far enough away that drivers have time to react.
A friend of mine, broken down on the motorway with no triangle, took his passenger seat out, carried it 50 yards down the hard shoulder and put it on the line. Sure enough, along comes a van, clips the seat but slows and avoids my friend. He was a bit miffed about his upholstery but he's still with us.
50 yards as a minimum, at 70 mph that's still less than two seconds
Regards,
Brian.

PS spare fuel, service stations can be further apart than we are used to in UK.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Something to lie on like an old Karrimat, an old pair of gardening gloves and overalls if you've got room.
Nothing worse than ferreting about underneath when it's wet and dirty.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

European Health Insurance cards
Spare glasses (to see through, not for Rioja)
European Accident Statement Form
Fanbelts
Alternator (secondhand)
Brake pads unless you're sure you've plenty of wear left
Rear prop if you're a pro :wink:
Map. Don't rely on phones & SatNag
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:31 pm

To add to the list (not all tool related)

-Breakdown cover inc vehicle repatriation if you fall ill
-Insurance document
-MOT document
-Driving license
-Cable ties
-Multimeter
-EHIC card
-LPG filler adapters (if you've got LPG conversion)

For documents inc ferry tickets, insurance, MOT etc I always take a photocopied set as well as scan them and upload to Google Drive and Dropbox so I've got them all online in case the printed copies get misplaced.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 am

Muzorewa wrote: Map. Don't rely on phones & SatNag
You really like living dangerously Paul. :)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 am

briwy wrote:
What I'm thinking is don't rely on Google Maps on a smartphone, which we use, but isn't always failsafe (see the Segovia section in our Iberia tour :roll: )
1. No reception so no map
2. The idiot bean-counter in accounts didn't enable roaming on the data services which only becomes apparent when you disembark the ferry
3. Your phone has been nicked
4. You have no battery power

If you're able to read a proper map (old-school I know but it's useful) you can always check out where you are and which roads to look for. But in Belgium watch out that they switch language with no warning and your map may only be in French or Dutch (not both), meaning you can be merrily following the signs to Liège and then suddenly there's no mention of it on roadsigns. If you don't want to end up in downtown Bruxelles, follow the signs to Luik until you get back into a French-language area where they revert to Liège.

In the case of (2) above, it required us to jump onto an unsecured WiFi network in a supermarket carpark, and email the aforementioned bean-counter in accounts to advise him that enabling roaming within the hour might prolong his employment beyond our return.... :twisted:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:02 am

Muzorewa wrote:
briwy wrote:
What I'm thinking is don't rely on Google Maps on a smartphone, which we use, but isn't always failsafe (see the Segovia section in our Iberia tour :roll: )
1. No reception so no map
2. The idiot bean-counter in accounts didn't enable roaming on the data services which only becomes apparent when you disembark the ferry
3. Your phone has been nicked
4. You have no battery power

If you're able to read a proper map (old-school I know but it's useful) you can always check out where you are and which roads to look for. But in Belgium watch out that they switch language with no warning and your map may only be in French or Dutch (not both), meaning you can be merrily following the signs to Liège and then suddenly there's no mention of it on roadsigns. If you don't want to end up in downtown Bruxelles, follow the signs to Luik until you get back into a French-language area where they revert to Liège.

In the case of (2) above, it required us to jump onto an unsecured WiFi network in a supermarket carpark, and email the aforementioned bean-counter in accounts to advise him that enabling roaming within the hour might prolong his employment beyond our return.... :twisted:
Use Off-Line mapping on SatNag or even Better.... Osmand+ or Locus Maps.... no data connection needed.... just battery power..lol.... and .... the last time I got caught in Lille with the Liege/Luik lingo swap was 8 years ago..... on the way to Spa in October... you learn by your cock ups.... :lol: :lol:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:09 am

mikexgough wrote: .... the last time I got caught in Lille with the Liege/Luik lingo swap was 8 years ago..... on the way to Spa in October... you learn by your cock ups.... :lol: :lol:
2008 for us in Brussels on the way to the Nürburgring 24 hours :lol:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:25 am

thanks very much for the replies.

OH has bought me some supplies for xmas and i have been pestering my dad about the kit we already have. (apparently we don't need a spacesaver wheel as we have a full size one somewhere in the bongo!!!!!)
:shock:

i think my dad might be buying me a couple of things as well (including my hi-viz jackets). he also mentioned raiding his tool shed for stuff like a multimeter and a breaker bar thing.
:P

he claims a lot of this stuff is already in the bongo but we've never seen it... did find the wheel changing stuff in a secret compartment under the step though.
:D

Return to “Going Abroad”