Switzerland....

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Switzerland....

Post by mikexgough » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Anyone travelling to Switzerland, be aware of the need for DRL or dim dip/low beam headlights at all times.... if not 40 swiss franc fine....
Exempt are pre 1970's vehicles only.... so if you are going fit some DRL's or better still a module or twin relay circuit and ballast resistor to the high beam which will switch on a dimmed high beam with the ignition... or why not fit some or a module/relay kit anyway...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Switzerland....

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 17, 2014 3:50 am

Hi
A fair bit of Europe is like that I guess, Mike....even here...It is an easy law to implement, no cost to the Government and makes money in fines. Be aware that in almost all situations where "on the spot" fines exist, you can ask to produce at the local nick....as very often the "fine" is straight in the pocket of coppers in some countries, but usually cheaper :wink:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
A fair bit of Europe is like that I guess, Mike....even here...It is an easy law to implement, no cost to the Government and makes money in fines. Be aware that in almost all situations where "on the spot" fines exist, you can ask to produce at the local nick....as very often the "fine" is straight in the pocket of coppers in some countries, but usually cheaper :wink:
Cheers
Helen
Well Helen.... the cross border fine law is in now too, so your fine follows you throughout the EU states.... So I guess the easiest solution and not to fall foul of Foreign Plod....is to fit LED DRL's or do as I have done as per some manufacturers and fitted a relay module to power the Main Beams at 50% power (so no dazzle & no busted low beams) and only the main beams are lit..... complying with the legal stuff and to be honest the dim dip type DRL works brilliant in the UK.... passed the MOT without a hitch because the light switch works the factory lights as normal....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 am

Hi Mike
Ah...that's certainly the case re: cross-border fines...but still, the "fine" that goes straight in the copper's pocket is common here They will stop you given an opportunity, as they "earn" good money to supplement their pay, so the job as a traffic cop is well sought after....and nearly everyone disobeys laws!...We don't as my belief is that they're there to be obeyed. The big problem here on the road I take to the city, is that it's on the main through route to Turkey for trucks....and EVERY journey ends up with a truck sitting about 3 inches off your back bumper...they don't give a stuff about fines!....then there's the locals...they are aggressive drivers...and it's worth noting the RAC warnings about not antagonising other drivers....they are armed...the clue is on many shop windows here..."no guns inside" :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 am

BTW, what's wrong with keeping lights on all the time, whether EU or not EU ruling? I do it even here in the UK because it's more than reasonable for safety. People do see better active sources of light even at good visibility - that's just medical fact, so why not to add one more (faaat!) bit of safety to the toolbox? Fuel and bulbs cost of it is just nothing comparing to added value to your safety. Bongo is a car for longer traveling lifestyle. And longer travels = higher chances you might miss some unused bit of safety one poor day. Let it be the opposite.

Return to “Going Abroad”