Bongo Summer in France

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Nick Gregory
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo Summer in France

Post by Nick Gregory » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Hello one and all,

Am taking the van, dog and wife (in that order) across to France and then Northern Spain in August for three and a half weeks and was wondering what to do about campsites (specifically on the South West Atlantic Coast). I have found that trying to book for a single night is either impossible or ridiculously expensive and so was hoping someone may be able to suggest some pointers?

I don't mind paying for the privilege of a decent site, but not in the realms of 40 euros a night. Plus we want to be near as possible to the sea. Help…

Cheers

Nick
janie
Bongolier

Re: Bongo Summer in France

Post by janie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

We're doing a similar journey this summer. After a lot of research 40 euros for a good campsite actually sounds pretty average for South West France in August. How about trying http://www.camping-municipal.org/ or a few of these http://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/ for something a bit cheaper

Jane
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 pm

That is France in August for you - sorry to say it is the wrong month to visit, as everywhere will be full and that is when the sites (can, will and do) make most of their income for the year.
Nick Gregory
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nick Gregory » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks Jane.

Unfortunately the ones I selected only wanted our custom for a minimum of 3 nights whereas we are just looking for the one.

I have been told that you can just 'Bongo down' at some of the beaches but my source is not the most reliable. Any truth in that does anyone know?

Cheers

Nick
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:40 pm

I don't know about the beaches but there are plenty of Aires south of the Gironde that are badically on the beach and from personal experience the Charentes maritime has miles of forested sand dunes backing the beaches where it's possible to camp. We're staying on sites (to avoid mortal combat with our tenage daughters) and so unfortunately will be paying the 40+ euros a night for the privaledge) we are next to the beach though, 4* camping with pools and everything else their little consumer hearts desire. Good luck and have a great time.
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 pm

I know of a place where you can camp down nr Bayonne, Basque region
There is a road to the beach used by surfers that is deserted and you're on top of Blockhaus Barbara.

Its at the end of the mouth of the river and the huge German fortress (or what's left of it after the bombing raids) still stands.
There's always a few campers there, either overnighting or surfing.

Have a look on Google earth at Route du Champ de Tir, Tarnos, France

I stumbled on it by accident a few years back
skyhigh123
Bongonaut

Post by skyhigh123 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Once you get into Spain you could do worse than this campsite: http://www.grancampingzarautz.com/index_en.html

For the last few years we have spent a few days in the Bongo at Zarautz, just along the coast from San Sebastian. Big campsite, good facilities and decent sized "pitches".

Big sandy beach with lots of surfers but no dogs allowed in summer so we always walked down a fairly steep path to the rocky cove to the east.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Watch where you put your feet on the French beaches this year. :roll:

http://www.thelocal.fr/20140107/80-wwii ... fter-storm

The French coast has taken a bashing as well as us, talking to our neighbour whilst in France last week whose father lives on the coast below Bordeaux it seems that the storms have ruined a lot of beaches and washed sand inland into the woods.
Friends in San Sebastian say that the damage to the sea front there stands at around 4.5 million Euros as well. The whole Atlantic coast has really suffered.
Bongoed
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongoed » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

briwy wrote:Watch where you put your feet on the French beaches this year. :roll:

http://www.thelocal.fr/20140107/80-wwii ... fter-storm

The French coast has taken a bashing as well as us, talking to our neighbour whilst in France last week whose father lives on the coast below Bordeaux it seems that the storms have ruined a lot of beaches and washed sand inland into the woods.
Friends in San Sebastian say that the damage to the sea front there stands at around 4.5 million Euros as well. The whole Atlantic coast has really suffered.
I was wondering how bad things are there. My son who lives in France was talking about a tanker or container ship that was blown onto a quay and broke in two, causing spillage - he wasn't sure of the details but it certainly sounds bad. He has not had it too bad (Gascony) but the size of the waves in the Bay of Biscay can be huge in normal times.

And how about those sand islands, Isle de Ré and the like, I should think they'll have been submerged.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

I've done two 6 week trips and a 2 week tour through france in July/August. Thats mainly central and south/east france. A bit careless of me but I've never book a campsite and never been turned away yet. May just have been lucky. Sometimes i've left it a bit late in the day and used aires. A real little gem of a location in South West france is contis le bains, left it too late one evening and found this pay aire right on a long wide stretch of undeveloped and beautiful beach. Its just a hamlet but there was 3 live music gigs that night. A blues band, a female french jazz singer who was real class and local french band. A few beers a wander back to the aire and decided to stay another night. Its a pay aire but its just like a parking ticket you pay a few euros in the machine and place it in the windscreen. Theres basic showers and toilets. It you like beautiful beaches and undeveloped areas and get stuck try it. it has a unusal lighthouse just behind the aire.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 am

I forgot to mention regarding contis les bains, stayed there in the third week in July
Nick Gregory
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nick Gregory » Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am

Hello all,

Thanks very much for all your help - think we are going to 'wing it'

However, next question - European breakdown cover single trip… Who's best to go with or are we limited?

Cheers

Nick

Return to “Going Abroad”