France speed cameras

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

jone_it

Re: France speed cameras

Post by jone_it » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm

briwy wrote:Sorry to disagree but thats rubbish. On the french autoroutes now very few people are speeding and thats because the police will nick anyone that is only slightly over the limit.
My interpretation of the baggage of my own personal observations plus wits internet reporting can be wrong, of course, but it is still not honourable use of language to call it "rubbish".

Ok, back to hard facts: My usual travelling speed that I pick for car of this type (Bongo) on appropriate road conditions is 130kmh. On French autobahns this is default limit in absence of any other constraints or unusual weather conditions (rain, snow, fog, etc). People overtake me though not that constantly like in Britain, but still rather regularly: about once per several minutes. I tend to agree it matches your evaluation 'not many', however the sentence about 'police nicking anyone' clearly contradicts my observations. I never ever saw any police forces in progress of stopping or fining anyone. I cannot conclude it doesn't happen while I'm not watching, of course. But what I still can logically conclude is there're French people ('French' according to observed numberplates) exceeding limits by both smaller and higher margins, and still getting away with it in mass.
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: France speed cameras

Post by briwy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:55 pm

jone_it wrote:
briwy wrote:Sorry to disagree but thats rubbish. On the french autoroutes now very few people are speeding and thats because the police will nick anyone that is only slightly over the limit.
My interpretation of the baggage of my own personal observations plus wits internet reporting can be wrong, of course, but it is still not honourable use of language to call it "rubbish".

Ok, back to hard facts: My usual travelling speed that I pick for car of this type (Bongo) on appropriate road conditions is 130kmh. On French autobahns this is default limit in absence of any other constraints or unusual weather conditions (rain, snow, fog, etc). People overtake me though not that constantly like in Britain, but still rather regularly: about once per several minutes. I tend to agree it matches your evaluation 'not many', however the sentence about 'police nicking anyone' clearly contradicts my observations. I never ever saw any police forces in progress of stopping or fining anyone. I cannot conclude it doesn't happen while I'm not watching, of course. But what I still can logically conclude is there're French people ('French' according to observed numberplates) exceeding limits by both smaller and higher margins, and still getting away with it in mass.
Well I'm sorry you consider the word rubbish dishonourable but to indicate that the French police are not interested unless you are travelling at around 100mph is exactly that.
I live part time in France and do a considerable mileage here every year and I assure you that the police here take a very dim view nowadays of speeding of any sort.
I agree that there always some who will do it and get away with it but that doesn't mean the authorities aren't bothered by it.
We have even seen them out trapping at two in the morning on the Lourdes ring road and I'm sure they aren't there for fun and to look at the stars.

Return to “Going Abroad”