Campsites in France

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

technophobe
Tribal Elder

Campsites in France

Post by technophobe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

There are always questions abut campsites in France. A few years ago we bought Le Guide Officiel Camping and Caravaning, which lists over 10,000 sites in France, from Vacarious Books and have used it ever since. We also have the International Camping Card which costs a few pounds and entitles holders to a discount on many of the sites. We generally plan our overall route and the look for a site about three of four hours away. Works really well.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Re: Campsites in France

Post by umbongocat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Another great book. Is France Passion by vicarious books. We used it lots this summer and camped up for free with local people and got nice wine, cheese and various other products they offered at the same time :0
I love cheese!
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

umbongocat wrote:Another great book. Is France Passion by vicarious books. We used it lots this summer and camped up for free with local people and got nice wine, cheese and various other products they offered at the same time :0
Am I right in thinking the France Passion sites are adult only?
technophobe wrote: Le Guide Officiel Camping and Caravaning, which lists over 10,000 sites in France, from Vacarious Books and have used it ever since
Has it got municipal sites in it too? I know there is now a good list of them on the internet, but when it comes down to it, I still prefer books!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Vacarious Books also publish a book called "All The Aires" which lists all the hundreds of free stopovers. They are divided up by region and have pictures and gps positions too. I've done many times now and like the municipals as they're good and cheap but its always handy to know where the nearest aire is incase you get stuck
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Alison, I don't think it's adults only. You buy the book and get a sticker for that year and the book lists lots of different business's such as small fromageries, vineyards, fois gras farms, restaurants etc, run by the locals. You just turn up before a certain hour and the rule is, you have to say hello and goodbye and be polite. You don't have to buy the products they often have for sell on the farm but we ended up buying something at every stop.

This year we mainly did France this way when not with family and stayed on aires. Some are ex camping municipals and some are aires with leccy and cost and some just cost and some are free.

France is really set up for motorhomes and a lovely country to tour around in the van :) I am bias though considering I'm French :D

We loved spending time with the local people and had some spectacular spots to park.. you can see them on FB. Mainly the pics you see when the van is the pic is at France Passion and a few at Aires, except the pic outside my mums :P
I love cheese!
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:09 pm

umbongocat wrote:France is really set up for motorhomes and a lovely country to tour around in the van :) I am bias though considering I'm French :D
I don't think you have to be French to prefer touring in France. C'est pas sorcier!

And yes, I must look at your photos as I tried on my phone and my eyesight just isn't up to it!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
umbongocat wrote:France is really set up for motorhomes and a lovely country to tour around in the van :) I am bias though considering I'm French :D
I don't think you have to be French to prefer touring in France. C'est pas sorcier!

And yes, I must look at your photos as I tried on my phone and my eyesight just isn't up to it!
:) Lots of photos for you to see Alison. Touring in France is exceptional :) A joke for you. God created England and France, France was so beautiful and the weather better too that he felt it was unfair on England so he put the French on France.. hehehe.. it's so true, they can at times be very arrogant if I say so myself :lol:
I love cheese!
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 pm

What sort of cost is it to get across the chanel?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Alison01326 wrote:Am I right in thinking the France Passion sites are adult only?
Not that I know of and it doesn't say so here....
http://www.france-passion.co.uk/?gclid= ... tAod32sARQ

BUT you do need to be TOTALLY self contained as none of the sites are expected to have any facilities other than somewhere to park overnight. Some do offer extra facilities but they can be charged for - only the parking must be free.

There is a similar scheme in the UK known as "Britstops" where there is more chance of somewhere that at least has toilets as a good proportion are pubs.

http://www.britstops.com/welcome.html
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 pm

hijimhere wrote:What sort of cost is it to get across the chanel?
Return to France last month in a 7metre motorhome was £48.00

Got another one booked for December ................ £48.00

DFDS do a special code offer for advance bookings made during the NEC m/home shows.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Boat can be cheaper than the tunnel. Depends on when you go. I bought my return fair on the tunnel early both this year and last year. Last year it cost me £89 return that was with the bongo beginning of August and coming back the end of August (peak times) and this year I paid £106 return middle of August until the end of August for the motorhome which is a lot bigger.

With the bongo you can go as a car and I was never questioned.

Trick is to book ahead and you can get good deals :)
I love cheese!
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 pm

scanner wrote:

DFDS do a special code offer for advance bookings made during the NEC m/home shows.

Wow! Good prices. We've opted to use the tunnel in October as I always worry about weather and cancelled trips with the boats as winter draws in.
I love cheese!
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Just booked Portsmouth to Le Havre return in February £133 including a cabin overnight.
As said, all depends on when you go and when you book. Same trip in summer is around £380.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 pm

umbongocat wrote:
scanner wrote:

Wow! Good prices. We've opted to use the tunnel in October as I always worry about weather and cancelled trips with the boats as winter draws in.
Someone who has been to the Motorhome Show
http://www.dervhead.com/magazine/
usually posts the discount code on the motorhomefacts.com forum.
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-137232-dfds.html

You need to book, using the discount code, before the end of the day after the show ends and you then have up until the end of the next June to change the reservation for free. I just book a couple of crossing for the next December and then amend them (before end of June!!) to when I actually want them.

Return to “Going Abroad”