AA European cover

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Basher
Bongonaut

AA European cover

Post by Basher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

I am posting my experiences of using the AA European recovery service, which I used for the first time when I needed a new alternator when on holiday in France (last week)

My initial impressions of the service were very positive. I found the staff genuinely helpful and there was no quibbling about them paying for taxi, hire car and alternative accommodation. Or even full repatriation if we wished.

However I did discover a drawback with the service. The staff are working from a call centre in the UK , and have no local knowledge, and little life experience. They can book you a hotel, hire car, and taxi however you are probably better doing it yourself.

They recovered the Bongo to a garage in the next valley a 50 euro taxi ride away, despite there being at least two garages (One a Renault main dealer) in our village. The garage they found quoted 780 euros to supply and fit a new alternator which I though excessive. At this stage my options were either to accept the price, or for the AA to recover my Bongo back to the UK and thus terminating the holiday. The AA staff were unable to negotiate with the garage over price. (I eventually got an Alternator from the Bongo shop and the garage agreed to fit it for 300 Euros.) I recon that I could have got the job done in the village for less, but by that time the Bongo was miles away at an unknown garage.

After one day they managed to find two hire cars for us (although one was a pick up) but both were over 30 miles away along narrow mountain roads. (We were in the Alps). We would have had to travel by taxi to pick up and return the cars so we decided to do with out. It even took them over an hour and twenty just to book a taxi when we went to collect the Bongo. We found accommodation ourselves locally, something the AA couldn’t do.

In conclusion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the AA service, however as you are actually on the ground, you will have more local knowledge that the call centre staff, you are probably better off organising things yourself, and only calling upon the AA as a last resort. (In retrospect this is what we should have done).
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: AA European cover

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:44 am

300 Euros to fit an alternator? Wow that's steep. There's a couple of bolts to remove and a tensioner to slacken off. It's 30 minutes work (tops) to swap an alternator on a diesel Bongo so their labour rate must be equivalent to £400 an hour. Even if it took them an hour, that would be over £200 an hour.

I've only had one experience of a garage abroad: a Mazda main dealer in Poland, and they let me use their workshop for free for a morning so I could do a coolant drain and bleed when I had a damaged hose. The only cost was a couple of litres of antifreeze.

Glad you got it sorted and it sounds like Ian saved the day by sending you a replacement alternator. It's good to know you can get parts like that sent out so quickly when you really need them =D>.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am

Just a little diversion on topic. Im off in a week to france and spain and got euro breakdown cover for £16.. yes £16.. Whats the catch?? Hopefully none.. Its with Britianna (this year is top of the which magazine list) I asked for a single trip cover which they dont do. But the guy said we do a rolling monthly contract (cancel after 1 month if you wish) which covers UK and europe. which is £16 a month. It appears to have all the usual benefits you would expect from the AA etc. You may have to ask for it. Hope this may help someone. Its good to know the Bongo shop will ship abroad too, what a star.. Hail the master...!!
3peaks
Apprentice Bongonaut

European single trip Breakdown cover

Post by 3peaks » Sun May 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Anyone offer any help, no one insures campers for European single trip Breakdown cover when there over 15 years!
Bongo was firs registered as a camper in the UK in 2007 which is ok but it's year of manufacture that is counted & the was 1998 so <18 years no one covers this.
Cab-ova pete
Bongolier

Post by Cab-ova pete » Sun May 31, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi 3peaks, no knowledge of this but here's a warm welcome to the forum :D hope you get it sorted 8)
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi 3peaks, try ETA as we have just insured for France with them for a 1995 Bongo
3peaks
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: European single trip Breakdown cover

Post by 3peaks » Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 pm

3peaks wrote:Anyone offer any help, no one insures campers for European single trip Breakdown cover when there over 15 years!
Bongo was firs registered as a camper in the UK in 2007 which is ok but it's year of manufacture that is counted & the was 1998 so <18 years no one covers this.
RAC Arrival system starts at £195 & that's with a caravan & camping club discount! Also before any vehicle details added & I all ready have UK national breakdown cover but you can't just get Euro cover so looks like UK national gets covered twice what a waste!
For a two week break this cost is out outrageous but there is no one else!

Bong's appear to be good until you get the fuel & insurance costs!

https://www.adac.de/produkte/ shame there's no clear English about Euro cover on this site!

Shame the RAC don't just do a single trip cover on Arrival
http://www.rac.co.uk/join/arrival25
Sculliver
Junior Bongonaut

AA European cover - Bongo V6 Petrol Recovery to UK

Post by Sculliver » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi

An old topic but relevant. I’ve not posted before but in need of urgent advice.

W reg Bongo cut out on French motorway and wouldn’t start; so towed to nearest depot. The AA have been pretty good with getting the family of 5 to our destination but with the diagnosis being a timing belt failure and damage being assessed, I’m waiting on confirmation that AA will recover the vehicle home to the UK or not. In the event that the AA will not recover the vehicle, does anyone know how I get an undriveable Bongo from the south of France to Dorset?

Also, how much for a new engine 😢?

Thanks

Sculliver
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Oops sorry to hear this!

In theory the V6 is non-interference engine, so there ought not to be any damage if it was the timing belt that has broken. However someone did mention that if a valve snapped and dropped in that could cause the same result and there would be damage. But there are several other things that could fail that would stop you starting.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:39 pm

Do we know for sure it's a V6?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:43 pm

Oh dear, that's awful luck. :(

Make sure the garage knows how to bleed it if they drain the coolant.

As for self recovery, possibly phone round car delivery companies, or maybe rent a Land Rover and trailer, or see if you can get a self drive transporter.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Ian wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:39 pm Do we know for sure it's a V6?

Headline on the post says V6. :wink:
Sculliver
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Sculliver » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi

Thank you for the welcome and commiserations.

Yeah, it’s a V6 2.5l automatic petrol. Honestly, it was a bit scary losing control in the middle lane doing 110kph and having to coast onto hard shoulder :shock:

The garage confirmed it is a timing belt issue but the AA were having the Bongo moved to a different (approved?) garage; so awaiting final assessment.

I’ll phone around as suggested if AA confirm that they won’t recover. Flying home in a couple of days so may need to decide if I pay up for it to be recovered personally or scrap it.

Frustrating thing is, I spent a bit getting a full service and MOT before we headed for Eurotunnel.

The AA cover has been worth it though. They covered a taxi from south of France to Northern Spain (our destination) as well as flights & hotel. It managed some of the stress at least; now home to quarantine #-o

Live and learn I suppose
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am

Sorry to hear your woes.......... Depending where in N Spain your bongo is, don't forget the ferry from Bilbao to Portsmouth. Assuming it's running - the ferry that is - I suspect P&O will be rather quiet and so more willing to help repatriate your 'van
Sculliver
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Sculliver » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks Katka

Gladly, the AA have confirmed that they’ll recover the vehicle to the UK. I’m keen to see a report on the damage.

Out of interest, should timing belt have been checked as part of the full service & MOT I paid for quite handsomely prior to setting off? Seems like a waste of time and money now when aux belts were changed & a range of other parts.

Return to “Going Abroad”